Report: Apple paid tech editor $15K to praise iPod | iLounge News

Report: Apple paid tech editor $15K to praise iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, April 20, 2005
News Categories: iPod

NBC “Today” show tech editor Corey Greenberg has admitted to charging $15,000 to Apple and other companies to talk about their products on television, reports the Washington Post. In July, Greenberg praised the iPod on the show, saying it was “a great portable musical player… the coolest-looking one.” He said, “This is the way to go.” Greenberg has also appeared several times on CNBC touting Apple products including the iPod photo.

However, Greenberg says he was never paid to promote products on national TV — only local news. “I have never accepted payment to place a product on NBC News,” Greenberg says. “I have never accepted payment to say nice things about a product in any venue.” He says companies hired him as “a spokesperson who could talk credibly and understandably about consumer products,” but that he would no longer accept payment for appearances on local news shows.

The financial relationships Greenberg and another man, Child magazine’s Technology Editor James Oppenheim, separately have with companies was first reported yesterday by the Wall Street Journal, as noted by iLounge Backstage. Further details about the dealings can be found in that article.

« Kensington debuts new FM transmitter/charger

The iPod Book Giveaway - CLOSED »

Comments

So stupid, and yet so Apple.

The iPod doesn’t need this kind of ridiculousness to sell itself.  And yet in typical Apple fashion, rather than chance the consumer getting to decide if they like something, Apple has to control everything.

One would think that the massive success of the iPod would prevent clueless dimwits from playing unethical games with its promotion, but alas…such is not the case at Control Freak Central, AKA Apple.

Posted by stark23x on April 20, 2005 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

Greenberg, an NBC contributor, confirmed yesterday that he has received payments from Apple as well as Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Seiko Epson, Creative Technology and Energizer Holdings, charging $15,000 apiece to talk up their products on news shows.

“I have never accepted payment to place a product on NBC News.” As for other news shows, “I have never accepted payment to say nice things about a product in any venue.”

I don’t follow? he admitted it or he denied it?

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 20, 2005 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

look like he denied it to me

Posted by vmike on April 20, 2005 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

This isn’t new news. “independant Sources” have been taking cash under the table to tout products to the public for ages. It’s just news that someone got caught red-handed… and it’s lnked to Apple.

Apple isn’t so smart. If you have a great product, great customer service, etc., your product ALMOST sells itself. You don’t need to pay out some TV jockey to have good things seen and heard about it! Word of mouth from users is normally what sell s a product the most and the best.

Case in point: I see D!ck Slick on NBC’s Today Show on a segment about MP3 palyers and Mr.D!ck says the Rhino Dino MP3 player is the new hotness… but my brother told me that it’s the biggest POS known to man. Which do you think I’ll believe? And conversely, if I hear bad press about an item, but everybody that I know says otherwise, then I’ll definitely believe my friends and family.

Shady, just straight up shady!

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 20, 2005 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

“Paying off the media is a BIG no-no and shows an immense lack of confidence in your product and belies a deeper, more sinister problem.”

Yeah, whatever, dude.

Posted by Quoth_the_Raven in Herndon, VA on April 20, 2005 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

UPDATE: I thought the name “Corey Greeneburg” looked fimilar so I did some digging and BAM! I found the same guy was pushing the Etymotic ER6(i)! He’s even prominently displayed on the Ety ER6i’s official webpage! :O

I think someone at Etymotic paid this guy off! And the scary thing is I literally just received my Ety ER6i’s in the mail less than 2 hours ago! Oh man… I hope these ‘phones weren’t hyped for cash.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 20, 2005 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

ADDITION: Sorry, I forgot to include the link. Here ya go (scroll down to the bottom)- http://etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 20, 2005 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

“Yeah, whatever, dude.”- Quoth_the_Raven

Whatever dude? This isn’t a joke, buddy. Paying “independant sources” to peddle your products under the guise of being independant isn’t “whatever”! It’s serious. These guys have just lost any and all credibility along with a large chunk of credibility of the companies that paid them, including Apple.

Those jokers won’t be getting anymore spots on TV shows anytime soon, that’s for sure. I’d expect something like this from Microsoft and Sony… but not Apple. It’s a huge disappointment and a lot of people will now point to this and say “See, the iPod isn’t so great! They had to pay a guy to hype it…”

It just doesn’t look good for either parties involved. And personally, I’ll be paying a LOT less attention to the “Tech” segments on any of these TV shows from here on out… I’m sure I won’t be the only one.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 20, 2005 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

look like he denied it to me

Well it said: “NBC “Today? show tech editor Corey Greenberg has <u>admitted</u> to charging $15,000 to Apple and other companies to talk about their products on television

Admitted looks like Denied to you?

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 20, 2005 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

This isn’t new. People have long been getting paid off to hype products (and musicians, movies, etc) and everything else for that matter… maybe somebody paid him even more to come clean and name Apple as one of the companies he was paid by.

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on April 20, 2005 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

I really don’t see how something like this comes as a surprise to people. Furthermore, anyone who buys something based on a morning talk “news” program gets what they paid for.

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on April 20, 2005 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

well put ash…  This ISN’T news to anybody.  15K is nothing compared to the millions spent on the air time for those sillouette commercials.  Besides, who knows if this was a form of blackmail anyway- this cat could have warned apple that he would bad mouth the iPod in public if they didn’t compensate him.  Stranger things have happened.

Posted by apple juice in USA on April 20, 2005 at 3:18 PM (PDT)