Report: Apple to unveil iPod with ‘none-touch’ technology | iLounge News

Report: Apple to unveil iPod with ‘none-touch’ technology

Apple is set to introduce its next generation iPod, according to a high-ranking executive from the company’s Asian manufacturing partner, Hon Hai Precision. Bloomberg News reports that at an annual meeting this week in Taiwan, Hon Hai chairman Terry Gou said Apple is about to unveil a new iPod using a “none-touch” concept. Gou did not elaborate further, though he said he expects the company’s revenue to grow at least an average of 30 percent in the next five years based on rising orders from Apple and Sony. Hon Hai owns the Foxconn iPod factories in China, which are at the center of recent labor abuse claims.

« Analysts lower iPod sales estimates

Apple cuts iPod nano, Hi-Fi prices in UK »

Comments

Holy wow… this will be very interesting to see… if it’s true.

I’ve actually thought about this as being a solution to a larger screen iPod, this no touch deisgn will keep the smudges and scratches away, leaving a large beautiful screen for video viewing.

Posted by JeremytheCamel on June 15, 2006 at 10:49 AM (CDT)

Interesting, I wonder how they over came the screen size vs click wheel.

Posted by Real Reply on June 15, 2006 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

...according to the FORMER high-ranking executive from the company’s Asian manufacturing partner…

There, I fixed it.

Posted by ort on June 15, 2006 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

d’oh, I unpacked and started charging my new 5G maybe 4 minutes before I read this. Maybe I’ll have to return it.

Posted by Chopper Dave on June 15, 2006 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

What the heck is “none-touch” technology?

Are these things going to start reading our minds now to determine what songs to play?  Or do they come with a coupon code for a free port to be installed in our heads so that we can plug directly into our brain.

Did I miss something?

Posted by Bob Reck in Baltimore, MD on June 15, 2006 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

maybe it will be voice enabled?

Posted by khyberny on June 15, 2006 at 11:16 AM (CDT)

that will be cool, i can say “impeach the president”, and neil young will start playing on my nano?

Posted by khyberny on June 15, 2006 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

I wonder how it works!
For instance, What if I’m mute? What if I don’t pronounce english words well? Would it be multilanguage?

Posted by Mlo on June 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

Hover your finger over the screen. The iPod senses it… Like in Minority Report. Just move your finger or thumb around.

Posted by Randy on June 15, 2006 at 11:40 AM (CDT)

Exactly what I was thinking Randy. Voice control dosen’t make sense.

Posted by JeremytheCamel on June 15, 2006 at 11:44 AM (CDT)

maybe it will have more buttons instead of a clickwheel and they will all be one the side. i seriously doubt it would be totally none touch.

Posted by davi on June 15, 2006 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

If you put your finger really close to one of the touchscreens they have in bank ATMs, it’ll make that “DNNNNNNNNN” sound. You don’t really have to touch it. Maybe Apple is going for that.
I’m gonna go ponder that whilst I play with the Citibank ATMs the rest of the day.

Posted by Will on June 15, 2006 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

>Voice control dosen’t make sense

Maybe it’ll be like the Newton:
“Warning, song ‘Boy scone troll dough snot snake tents’ not found in library”

Posted by paul on June 15, 2006 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

Wasn’t there a patent not so long ago from Apple about a screen that can “see” you?  That would make sense if the screen can sense where your fingers are and adjust.  Just like Randy said.  Hover your fingers over the screen and navigate away!

Posted by UnseenLlama on June 15, 2006 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

I remember a patent that Apple filed a little while ago that involved voice navigation.  Probably what they’re referring to.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on June 15, 2006 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

We can also think about an eye-commanded techno? It may sounds sci-fi but ...

Posted by Vince on June 15, 2006 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

that is just imagination, we’re not living in 2035 but in 2006 and there is nothing like voice control. slow down folks. it will be ‘more normal’ than that what you are talking about’.

Posted by Pilot on June 15, 2006 at 2:12 PM (CDT)

The next ipod should be touch screen like PDA’s and the Nintendo DS. I was thinking that the new ipod should be the same size (length) as the ipods we already have without the click wheel and just one screen going all the way across. Since it would be touch screen you wont need the click wheel to scroll through music and videos anymore. Also, the new ipod will have wifi! I dunno, just thinking about an ipod like this makes my ipod feel old school haha.

My idea for the new ipod seems ideal. And that’s probably what you will see in the future.

Posted by Jonathan on June 15, 2006 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

is there a law that says we cant have an all in one product? like an ipod that plays
games,phone,movies,pda,wifi web browser,
blood tester,that matrix situation simulater,haha.  etc.

Posted by danny on June 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM (CDT)

Whoa. I’m a week away from getting a 5G, but now I’m starting to have second thoughts. I hope they release it soon like they say.

Posted by bobby on June 15, 2006 at 4:59 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >