Report: Apple to unveil smart home automation platform at WWDC
A new report from The Financial Times indicates that Apple may be working on a new iOS based home automation platform to “turn the iPhone into a remote control for lights, security systems, and other household appliances.” A number of third-party products such as the Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, and Nest thermostat already exist to provide this capability to iOS users, and the report suggests that this move may actually be a platform similar to Apple’s MFi program, providing support and requiring licensing for companies building smart home products for the iOS platform.
Apple made an unsuccessful bid about a year and a half ago to acquire home automation startup R2 Studios, suggesting that the company was taking an interest in this area as far back as late 2012, and an Apple patent filing published in November last year outlined a system whereby a home’s lights could be automatically activated when an iPhone user enters the house. This latest report notes that Apple could be planning to unveil this new platform as soon as WWDC on June 2nd.
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Olloclip releases new Active Lens for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- Refurbished iPad Air 2 models hit Apple Store
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?