Report: Apple to unveil smart home automation platform at WWDC
A new report from The Financial Times indicates that Apple may be working on a new iOS based home automation platform to “turn the iPhone into a remote control for lights, security systems, and other household appliances.” A number of third-party products such as the Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, and Nest thermostat already exist to provide this capability to iOS users, and the report suggests that this move may actually be a platform similar to Apple’s MFi program, providing support and requiring licensing for companies building smart home products for the iOS platform.
Apple made an unsuccessful bid about a year and a half ago to acquire home automation startup R2 Studios, suggesting that the company was taking an interest in this area as far back as late 2012, and an Apple patent filing published in November last year outlined a system whereby a home’s lights could be automatically activated when an iPhone user enters the house. This latest report notes that Apple could be planning to unveil this new platform as soon as WWDC on June 2nd.
- Apple wants networks to handle streaming for its web TV service
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?