Report: Apple to unveil smart home automation platform at WWDC
A new report from The Financial Times indicates that Apple may be working on a new iOS based home automation platform to “turn the iPhone into a remote control for lights, security systems, and other household appliances.” A number of third-party products such as the Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, and Nest thermostat already exist to provide this capability to iOS users, and the report suggests that this move may actually be a platform similar to Apple’s MFi program, providing support and requiring licensing for companies building smart home products for the iOS platform.
Apple made an unsuccessful bid about a year and a half ago to acquire home automation startup R2 Studios, suggesting that the company was taking an interest in this area as far back as late 2012, and an Apple patent filing published in November last year outlined a system whereby a home’s lights could be automatically activated when an iPhone user enters the house. This latest report notes that Apple could be planning to unveil this new platform as soon as WWDC on June 2nd.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?