Report: Cingular to launch music service sans Apple | iLounge News

Report: Cingular to launch music service sans Apple

In a move that would no doubt signal the end of its partnership with Apple, Cingular has reportedly teamed up with iTunes rivals Napster, Yahoo Music and eMusic to launch a new music service. The service, which could be announced as early as tomorrow, will work on music-playing cell phones and will eventually offer wireless downloads, according to The Wall Street Journal. “Cingular’s service initially will support transferring music from personal computers to cellphones using a cable. In a first for music-enabled cellphones, users will be able to transfer music acquired from ‘all you can eat’ subscription services like Napster to Go, Yahoo’s Y Music Unlimited or eMusic,” reports the Journal. “They will also be able to transfer songs ripped from CDs or downloaded in the MP3 and Windows Media formats. Next year, Cingular is scheduled to add an over-the-air downloading component that will feature a menu for compatible telephone handsets that takes users to a virtual store, similar to the ones customers already use to buy ringtones.”

« Podstar case for 2G iPod nano introduced

New iPod shuffle arrives; old earphones, weak clip? (Updated) »

Comments

I have yet to find a decent music phone that functions well as both a phone AND a music player. The technology has such a long way to go that I have no desire to get a music phone at this point (actually, I have one, but I don’t use it as such). Nothing yet beats my iPod for playing music.

Posted by Jason on November 1, 2006 at 12:54 PM (CST)

Wish we could get the full story here.  Who ended the parntership: Cingular or Apple.  If Cingular went with Napster and the likes it could be because Apple ended the partnership and if Apple did… well you know what that could possibly mean.

Posted by 3rdEye on November 1, 2006 at 1:28 PM (CST)

If I were to venture to guess, Cingular most likely ended the relationship, given that the music phones produced under the partnership with Apple to play iTunes music received a very lukewarm reception.

Though that didn’t kill the deal, I would speculate that the less-than-stellar sales of the phones as well as the desire to gain more revenue from music sales led to the partnership’s demise. Like the music companies, Cingular probably doesn’t agree with Apple’s 99-cent music policy. By severing their relationship with Apple, they have more flexibility in pricing and the potential for more revenue.

Posted by cxc273 on November 1, 2006 at 1:39 PM (CST)

I would speculate that Apple burned Cingular in the same way that Apple burned Motorola.

Posted by Obadiah on November 1, 2006 at 3:08 PM (CST)

Sony ericsson makes great phones that work extremely well as phones and music players with the added bonus of a 2 megapixel camera and radio. I have the W810i and it has one button switching between phone and the music player. They are also the only phones that sync well with macs.

Posted by xterracannondale on November 1, 2006 at 3:37 PM (CST)

Unless battery technology improves dramatically, I’ll happily carry a separate iPod and cellphone.

I want my cellphone to be very basic, with no “advanced” features (music, games, etc.) getting in the way. But I also want the battery to ALWAYS be available. If I make a 3-hour phone call, I want to be confident there is plenty of juice to get me through the rest of the day (and possibly the day after that).

On my iPod, I want the freedom to completely drain the battery. If my iPod powers down, I can live without music. However, if my MP3 cellphone drains ITS battery, I’m stranded without a cellphone.

MP3 cellphones are a good fit for a lot of people in the world. But not me.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 1, 2006 at 6:25 PM (CST)

Cingular, WAY TO GO! Notice how no other music service short of those that support illegal downloads come even close to the popularity or success of iTunes.

Posted by Charles O. on November 1, 2006 at 6:29 PM (CST)