Report: Cingular to offer iTunes phone | iLounge News

Report: Cingular to offer iTunes phone

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, June 24, 2005
News Categories: iTunes

Cingular is considering whether to sell Motorola’s long-awaited iTunes mobile phone, according to a Reuters report on Friday. “Motorola and Apple have been talking to Cingular about it using the iTunes phone,” a source told the news agency.

In further confirmation, RBC Capital analyst Mark Sue said in a research note this week that Apple and Cingular, the No. 1 U.S. carrier, were finalizing details on revenue sharing.

Cingular and Apple representatives declined comment, while a Motorola spokeswoman said the company is on schedule to ship the first iTunes phone in the third quarter. [via Mobile Tracker]

« Mix: IDEA Awards, Apple shares, iMuffs, iPodStyles sale

Audible to begin RSS delivery and podcast service »

Comments

Finally, the long awaited iTunes phones is coming out. I’m going to get this cellphone as soon as it comes out. Is it availiable is Canada? Hmmm…

Posted by lovepoke on June 24, 2005 at 10:43 PM (PDT)

I guess it doesn’t matter if a carrier supports it or not at the end of the day. Since it’s gonna be a GSM phone, it can be bought off the carrier and just use it. Just make sure you buy an unlocked phone

Posted by mvv on June 25, 2005 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

But if Apple has to do a revenue-sharing agreement with Cingular, does that mean any GSM network would let you access the iTMS?

Or if the original plan was to let you download songs on the computer and then transfer to the phone, how would they track how many of iTMS downloads were ultimately transferred to the iTunes phone as opposed to regular iPods?

Posted by wco81 on June 25, 2005 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Visit Cingular and request it.

Posted by Nunoyo Beezwacks on June 25, 2005 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Hmm, I wonder what the design and color of the phone would be. I’m guessing the phone would play MP3’s? If anybody has any information please reply.

Posted by KillerChainsawBunny in Alabama on June 25, 2005 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

a itunes phone being able to play mp3s? no way, itll probably only play music saved in .txt format. </sarcasm>

Posted by chris on June 25, 2005 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

I believe the revenue sharing would be for the Phone only, not the music purchased.  I wonder what price point we’ll be looking at, it doesn’t need to be a Razor, but it better be cool.  My contract is up with Cingular and I’m ready to hop onto whatever they launch… yea, I know, I’m a fanboy.

Posted by Matthew Egan on June 25, 2005 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

screw it being a razor. it should be made by sony ericsson so that bluetooth works with the mac and so you dont need to buy a usb cable in order to sync your contacts and calendars, and use a program like salling clicker. sony.e makes the best mac compatible bluetooth phones by far.

Posted by chris on June 25, 2005 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

I’ve been very dissatisfied with Cingular service.  I would much prefer another carrier since I’m changing from Cingular as soon as my contract is up.  Consumer advocate Clark Howard has the following information from his website:  “Clark talked recently about the FCC’s recent study on cell providers and customer satisfaction. The research showed that Cingular had the worst rating of any company while Verizon had the best rating. In fact, Cingular had three times as many complaints as Verizon. “

Apple always has outstanding ratings from Consumer Reports and others as far as service.  I’m sorry to see they’re hooking up with a company with such a poor service record.

Posted by Paul Hennessy on June 26, 2005 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

How do you transfer music to your I-Pod from the computer

Posted by Shannon on June 26, 2005 at 8:12 AM (PDT)