Report claims iPhone will be ‘primary target’ for hackers in ‘08 | iLounge News

Report claims iPhone will be ‘primary target’ for hackers in ‘08

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, December 11, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

A security forecast released by Arbor Networks suggests that the iPhone will be a major target for hackers in 2008. Arbor’s Security and Engineering Response Team, who put together the forecasts, believe that the iPhone will be the victim of a “serious attack” next year. These attacks are “likely to be in the form of drive by attacks - malware embedded into seemingly harmless information, images or other media that actually perform dangerous actions when rendered on the iPhone’s Web browser.”  In addition, the team suggests that “hackers will be enticed by the possibility of attacking Apple users and the opportunity to ‘be the first’ to hack a new platform.”

« Apple adds TV shows to iTunes Store in Canada

RIAA argues against legality of ripped MP3s »

Comments

Hacker is such a negative word nowadays.  Let me note that all the wonderful people who allowed me to run third party software are hackers.

Next I will not that the iPhone was already hacked.  I see its in single quotes so I assume that you were trying to show that, but it wasn’t that obvious.  I have already used a TIFF exploit.  Its not that different.  Really, the security forcasters need to start using words like malicious, or prefix the word hacker with something to that effect.

Posted by moo083 on December 11, 2007 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

Security forecasts call for…sensationalist BS…

Arbor Networks?  What a joke.

The iPhone isn’t really a new platform.  Sure, the iPhone itself is new, but it is running an optimized OS X.  If malware writers wanted to infect the iPhone - which makes no since b/c there’s not profit or model for doing such a thing - they’d only need to write malware that affects Macs, but of course, no such malware exists on Macs.

Posted by NatMusak on December 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

i hail hackers, for giving me a free phone without conditions and wihtout exclusive contracts, i have a wonderful phone and i can do whatever i want with it, thats the way it was supossed to be from the start, but the greed of apple, and the s….d exclusivity to att forced hackers to hack the iphone and im glad its going to be the target for 2008, and for gods sake its just a phone and i think the hackers have the ball in this game so long exclusive bull..t

Posted by alex on December 11, 2007 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I think apple is doing a good job and they are not greedy.

If Apple is greedy then all other companies/ manufacturers are greedy too. ... In the business world it is called business and profit. Once you get your won business then you will think and act what is best for your business.

walk the other side and it is not that easy to run a business and make at least a bit profit.

So I don’t blame apple and i don’t blame the hackers. the hackes making other companies hire certain people to work on their issue, like security programers and so on.

I DO NOT like people who just complain this and that is wrong and say they get screwed and things like that.

so there is always a PRO and a CON. IT’s a free market, if u don’t like one thing go to the other, just stop crying….. wink

Posted by dennis on December 12, 2007 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

I like my un-hacked iPhone. I’m saying I LIKE it this way. I’m waiting for legit games, more features, apple-authorized native Apps and more. hack my iPhone? Naw. I like it like this.. I used a hack early on, it allowed me to re-arrange my icons, put a different symbol up where it says AT&T (but AT&T was still the carrier… hmmm…) But it was sorta unstable and cheesy. Now, I just go clean with it. If you guys wanna hack yer phone, go for it. but, don’t act like the rest of us are crazy for simply enjoying our hack-free phone because it’s a beautiful, intuitive device just the way it is.

Thanks, Steve and Apple. I seriously like my unhacked iPhone.

Posted by Chad on December 12, 2007 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

yup, u said it right Chad… I Luv my IPhone just like it is too.

Posted by dennis on December 12, 2007 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

hey guys, first of all im not against apple, i just dont like how apple is handling the iphone, second i live outside Usa so that is the reason why im using the iphone hacked, take for example nokia, they sell unlocked phones with more features than the iphone and you can use them with any carrier on the world, why sell it with exclusive contracts, i know like dennis said its business and i can deal with that, i just couldnt wait for apple to release the iphone in the middle of 2008, or maybe if things go well in 2009, if i lived in the usa you bet i will leave un hacked, but what about the rest of the world?? apple only has eyes for america and europe and te rest we are forgotten, dont get me wrong i love apple and i always defend mac but in this case apple didnt leave any choice but to hack it, thats my opinion, good for you that you can use it unhacked greetings

Posted by alex on December 12, 2007 at 10:21 PM (PDT)