Report: iPad 2G to have dual cameras and high-res display | iLounge News

Report: iPad 2G to have dual cameras and high-res display

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, December 10, 2010
News Categories: iPad

The second-generation iPad will have both front- and rear-facing cameras, among several other improvements, according to a new report. Citing four people familiar with the situation, Reuters reports that touchscreen chip designer Wintek, battery maker Simplo Technology, and cover maker AVY Precision are all ramping up for a new round of production in the first quarter of 2011, with two sources claiming the ramp-up is for the second-generation iPad. Curiously, the report comes only one day after several supposed second-generation iPad cases appeared online, all of which sported holes on the back for a rear-facing camera.

Along with the cameras, one source told Reuters that the new model will be thinner, lighter, and have a higher resolution display. Camera module manufacturers Genius Electronic Optical and Largan Precision were also said by two sources to be starting new supply contracts with Apple, although neither source could confirm for which Apple product the modules are intended. As noted yesterday, recent rumors have pegged the iPad 2G’s release as coming within the next 100 days.

« Costco confirms break with Apple

Papers adds Dropbox/iDisk, AirPrint support »

Comments

Cameras won’t get me to upgrade, but a higher-res display sure will.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on December 10, 2010 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

With both a front and rear facing camera and higher res display, the iPad will now have the functionality needed to be a ubiquitous connectivity utility in the home.  Now it can replace the phone, TV, laptop, remote control and who knows what else in the home environment.  Wonderful!

I’m in for one when they come out!

Posted by Charles Farley on December 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

I don’t have a iPad but wanted one really bad.  I’m burining to get one of these for sure.  wink please let the prise be a bit more affordable…

Posted by dennis on December 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

Its always the same pattern. They put out a crippled 1st gen product. Tell you why no one needs all the missing features (e.g., camera) and then not a year later screw over all the early adopters.

No, it wont be cheaper. No, it wont replace my TV until it comes in 50+ inch sizes.

I’m writing this on an iPad, which I like.

Posted by Fennel on December 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

Love my 1st generation iPad! Keeping it in pristine condition because I knew this thing would only get better…can’t wait for the second generation iPad…see ya soon eBay!

Posted by RodC on December 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

I don’t understand….is the new ipad the same dimension or is it the 7” design that I’ve read about before?

Posted by kocsis on December 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

@4 that is why I held off until the iPhone 4 came out get to one, and it’s also why I regret getting the first gen iPod touch soon after its release, but I think I might wait for maybe the the third gen iPad specs to start floating around by this time next year before I consider one, and hey maybe by then they will have cracked the secret to cheaper flash memory !!

Posted by Andy on December 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

I knew it! Just like the iPod touch pattern. What’s next after the camera, they’re going to do like the iPhone 4 that has a reception problem and they’re going to give a free bumper? C’mon, everybody knows it.

Posted by mpicar on December 12, 2010 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

FaceTime makes a new iPad release almost a necessity. Right now you have Mac computers, iPhone 4 and the latest iPod touch that have the ability to video chat over Wi-Fi. The iPad is just the next logical addition. The first gen iPad did not have a camera because it really did not need one. Sure, it would have been a nice option that may have been used on occasion. But ultimately, it would have just added cost, battery drain and possibly bulk. We have seen great advancements in battery conservation and space requirements (see MacBook Air). And then FaceTime brings it full circle.

If Apple is truly trying to sell FaceTime as a cross-platform video chat tool, they need to show it working flawlessly within their own lines.

I am glad I decided 6 months ago to just wait out the iPad 2. I think it will prove to be a good move.

Posted by Mitch on December 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM (PDT)