Report: iPhone 5c catches fire, burns Maine girl | iLounge News

News

Report: iPhone 5c catches fire, burns Maine girl

A 14-year-old Maine girl reportedly suffered second-degree burns when her iPhone 5c caught fire in her pants pocket. According to the report, the girl and her friends heard a “pop” from the phone, which then started billowing smoke and caught fire. The girl stopped, dropped, and rolled, then had to remove her pants, and sustained burns on her thigh and back. “The phone fell out of her pocket ... and it was still smoldering,” school principal Jeff Rodman said. Area repair shop owner Andrew Rosenstein noted of the iPhone’s lithium-ion battery, “It’s very rare there can be an issue, but any battery is just a chemical composition that can be flammable in extreme circumstances.” Several battery issues with prior iPhones have been blamed on third-party chargers. [via Morning Sentinel]

« Apple sued by Univ. of Wisconsin over A7 chip

iWatch reports: New battery tech, ‘Healthbook’ app »

Related Stories

Comments

If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.

Commenting is not available in this section entry.
Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

Email:

Recent News

Recent Reviews

Recent Articles

Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

Email:

iLounge is an independent resource for all things iPod, iPhone, iPad, and beyond.
iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, Mac, and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
iLounge is © 2001 - 2014 iLounge, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy