Report: iPhone to launch on Verizon in Jan. 2011 | iLounge News

Report: iPhone to launch on Verizon in Jan. 2011

Verizon Wireless will start selling the iPhone early next year, according to a new report. Citing two people familiar with the plans, Bloomberg reports that Verizon will launch the phone in January, ending AT&T’s reign as the exclusive carrier for the device in the U.S. and expanding Apple’s potential customer base to include those who aren’t willing to join AT&T. “The fact is, Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends,” said UBS AG analyst John Hodulik. “It’s hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced.”

« JayBird ships Sportsband Bluetooth Headphones

Hulu launches paid Plus service, iOS devices supported »

Comments

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by cxc273 on June 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM (CDT)

Any network with THAT many people on the network all the time, as we iphone users are, will have problems.  Verizon looks a lot better now - but who knows what it will look like after the iphone is introduced there.

Posted by lh on June 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM (CDT)

AT&T blew sack long before the iPhone.  I don’t think increased volume is a valid excuse.  I canceled my iPhone 4 order.  I knew this would happen:  AT&T raised their early termination fees to $350 so that they could get one last payday before the mass exodus.

Posted by RockerKevin on June 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

Looks like the fact that I can’t upgrade to the iPhone 4 (w/out penalty) until February gives me a little time to weigh options for my carrier as well.  I can’t say that I’ve really had any issues with AT&T (other than poor reception in the rural/wooded north of WI on the rare occasion that I’m up there), but it’s always nice to have options.

Posted by DJ Renton on June 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

Exactly the news I’ve been holding out to hear!

Believe it when I see it too, but guess I’ll be hanging on to the company phone ‘til next year!

Posted by peterphan in Belmar, NJ on June 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM (CDT)

How many times has this been rumored?

Believe it when I see it, but I’m locked into VZW until 1Q11, anyways.

Posted by LS on June 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

iPod touch + verizon mifi = closest thing you’ll get to an Iphone on verizon.

Posted by Marc on June 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

I think tech sites should stop publishing these rumors until someone from Verizon or Apple issues a press release.  Until then, it’s just a waste of time.

Posted by hardcle on June 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM (CDT)

I agree with hardcle - my cynical side thinks this is a ploy by Verizon to keep subscribers (like me) who might be on the verge of switching to ATT for the iPhone to stick with big red a while longer. I have an iPhone 4 on reserve and have decided to switch, but this report gives me pause.

Maybe if I switch and this turns out to be true, the exodus from ATT might make for better service, while Verizon’s could suffer from overload.

This rumor along with the Droid X coming in the near future gives Verizon some attractive bait.

Posted by rwf in Washington D.C. area on June 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM (CDT)

Agree with hardcle/rwf on this one. I will believe it when Apple (not Verizon) announces it. I may just stay with ATT if it happens and the rates are comparable. The defections to VZ will take some of the pressure off the ATT network. My contract isn’t up until next June, so I will have plenty of time to see what shakes out.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on June 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM (CDT)

Still doesn’t make sense that Apple would go to the trouble of creating a CDMA version of the iPhone just in time for Verizon to switch to LTE. I’m wondering how the CDMA version could be used in conjunction with LTE when the new network is in place?  Twin radios in the iPhone?  What would that do to battery life?

Put me in the skeptical category, along with hardcle and rwf.

Posted by LightSpeeder on June 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

Although Verizon is rolling out LTE in the coming months, it is a massive endeavor and it will be a few years before it is widespread through the US. That will give plenty of time to sell CDMA-only technology until the next gen iPhone (which may incorporate a dual-receiver).

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on June 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM (CDT)

THANKS FOR THE GOOD NEWS.  At least i can get a 1YR instead of a 2yr contract and don’t have to worry about a penalty after 1yrs if i want to upgrade to different phone.  Can’t wait until this happens to see the difference in the plan price also.

Posted by CA on October 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM (CDT)