Report: iPod, iPhone failures due to common part issues | iLounge News

Report: iPod, iPhone failures due to common part issues

Published today, a report by EETimes traces numerous iPod and iPhone hardware problems to a lack of “attention to the basics” of product design, including “component placement, sealing, USB protection and connector quality, along with batteries and LCDs.” The report spotlights the findings of Rapid Repair, a company specializing in media device repairs, as it has worked through problems with both iPod and iPhone models over the past five years. Amongst the highlights:

* The use of polymer batteries rather than lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries would lead to fewer leakages, while laminated glass is a superior option to both crackable glass and scratchable plastic for covering displays. Fifty percent of the failures Rapid Repair encounters are LCD- or battery-related, with after-market batteries causing more problems than the ones installed initially in the devices.

* Connectors, including headphone jacks and internal sockets for screens and other parts, fail or disconnect over time; internal disconnections can lead to expensive repairs just to reconnect cables. Apple’s contract manufacturers, including Foxconn, may be responsible for choosing the less impressive parts that cause problems.

* According to the company, “many USB power modules fail” in iPods, and units also stop working due to “poorly designed after-market car chargers, liquid intrusion, and hard-drive failures” caused by dropping.

The report recommends the use of superior connectors, recessed displays, and better protection for both the display and storage media, noting that hard drives will continue to remain viable for five years due to improvements in capacity and physical size.

« Apple preps site of ‘Let’s Rock’ event

Sign up for our iPodweek newsletter, coming later today »

Comments

Still, no SPECIFICS from Flippy “Spin” Hambone. Where have you made any attempt to engage me in substantive dialog? From the very first time you referenced a comment of mine it has been to call out what you have determined is my blind support of Apple. Not once have you made an attempt to converse with me about why I may support an Apple decision, or why I pose a general question about how upset some get about those decisions. Don’t pretend you have “several times tried to engage” me in anything but berating me for both supporting Apple and questioning others. Talk about disingenuous.

Posted by Jordan on September 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

Still no reading comprehension from Forum Troll Jordan. You can access the Recent Comments as easily as I can, but here is one effort to engage you in discussion:

“As to this story, if iTunes peddles R-rated movies and music with parental advisories for blue content, then why on earth would “offensiveness” be a legit criterion upon which such a decision could be made? The App Store also features simulated gambling games and alcoholic beverage “trinkets.” I have no idea why a farting app is dramatically worse than the useless silliness that Surf Monkey cited.

Apple’s whole ideology, or at least the one they professed months ago, was to make the App Store as diverse and deep as possible. They wanted to make the iPhone easy to customize, and give users the ability to tailor it to their needs and desires. The App Store has a lot of virtues and a lot of different flavors, so to speak, but these instances in which Apple drops the hammer on random apps for no apparent reason are troubling. Unless there’s some sort of inherent harm to the consumer, why hack and slash in such an unpredictable manner?

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM (PDT)”

You ignored this entirely, and solely to badger me and continue you with your name-calling campaign. And you ignore my responses you your questions now for the same purpose.

Again, the record of my posts and your posts stands. You are comfortable with your assertions of innocent questioning instead of baiting/name-calling/trolling, in spite of said record. I have no desire to cite every single one of your biting, goading posts here, simply to humor you.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Another:

“Jordan, are you referring to my comment? Was there something terribly offensive about telling like it is?

It’s not an “Apple-bash” to say that the company’s policies and practices in the infancy of the App Store have been shaky at best. The examples are numerous.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM (PDT)”

Clearly, I had interest in discussing the issues at hand with you, to engage you in a rational discussion. The interest was not, and has never been, reciprocated.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

Thank you for actually providing something specific to, in your mind, back up a claim. I write the “in your mind” because you have left off important parts of YOUR posts that show a pattern of singling me out. You made ONE comment directed at me that wasn’t overtly accusatory but since have dismissed everything I have said as being a “fan-boy”. Even that particular comment arguably shows arrogance in “telling it like it is”. That’s exactly why I chose to ignore it.

Posted by Jordan on September 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Jordan,

I believe we are clearly at an impasse and I regret that you perceive my honest, direct, innocent questions of you as attacking in some way. I believe it is important to note that I have not described you as a “fan-boy” (I did ask, earnestly, if you would defend all of Apple’s decisions with respect to the App Store) and I believe it is also important to note that my willingness to discuss things in detail does not make me “arrogant” per se. I also believe whatever sins I have committed in our discourse pale in comparison to your hostility toward me, and for the most part, I have tried to overlook it and keep things above board. To wit, I have not directed profanity toward you, nor have I assaulted your character.

I do not intend to “single [you] out” and I further believe, if you looked at my history of posting here (again, plainly evident in the Comments), you would see that I do not exhibit this tendency whatsoever. I have left a great many of your posts alone, not responding at all. This is, to my knowledge, the second or third time that I have even bothered to reply to one of your comments at all, and in this particular thread, only because Post #1 invited for my comment, albeit acerbically. In the past month since our original colloquy, I have offered responses to a number of other parties offering comments here, so I don’t believe it’s correct to characterize my posting here as singling you or anyone out. I post here often, on a variety of news topics, and in response to a great many individuals’ opinions. I sometimes agree with those views espoused by others, and other times I do not, but in all instances I do my best to keep the discussion on the proverbial level.

I do not see an “overtly accusatory” tenor in my discussions with you, but let me be clear: your first response to one of my posts was an impolite comment, and I cannot help if that left me with a negative impression of your posts. I can accept the occasionally snarky comment, but I felt that one was over the line, and a senseless personal shot in the scope of a discussion about corporate propriety. It rubbed me the wrong way, and I believe a comment of similar stripe, if directed at you, would’ve afforded you this perspective as well.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 6:23 PM (PDT)

Come on guys - I love a good debate (argument) as much as the next person, but please, take this offline.
Share your email addys and stop flooding this place with the banter…

Thanks!

Posted by slb on September 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Oops, hit “Submit” too soon!

In closing, I consider this discussion closed. My intent was never to offend, and I regret that the ugliness ensued. I will continue to post here, as I very much enjoy iLounge and the information and viewpoints it provides its users, and I hope you, Jordan, continue to do so as well. Perhaps another topic will find us in accord on some iPod- or iPhone-related matter.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

slb,

I agree with you that “the banter” should be reserved for a private discussion, but I do not feel comfortable sharing my email address publicly, especially in the wake of some clearly hurt feelings.

If the administrators here wanted to move this to the Forums, that would be agreeable to me, but I also do not want to clutter that area. I think it’s a moot point anyway, at least for me, because I have essentially concluded my commentary.

My apologies to other iLounge users for the “static.”

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

All good - trust me, I’ve been booted from a forum or two, but this place has always been pretty civil, so…

smile

Posted by slb on September 8, 2008 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

Flippy (and really anyone else),

In retrospect I feel obligated to apologize in some level to everyone. While not apologizing for my opinions, I pushed back far too much. Regardless of your position (for which I have always respected, despite some evidence to the contrary), I should not have contributed to this discussion in the manner that I have. I hope that this will not be looked upon as me solely attempting to save face but I could understand if it were taken that way.

Although we have obviously disagreed, you have been respectful and for that I am appreciative. I too hope you will continue to provide this community with your viewpoints and possibly even agree with them at some point.

Posted by Jordan on September 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2