Report: iWatch to have October launch, curved OLED touchscreen
Apple’s rumored iWatch will launch in October with a curved OLED touchscreen, Nikkei Asian Review reports. The report, which only refers to the device as “a wearable health-monitoring device” and “watch-like wearable gear,” claims iWatch will run on iOS 8 and use biometric sensors to collect health data. Apple plans on selling 3-5 million units monthly, and the company has partnerships with the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic “to develop specific ways of analyzing the collected data and applying it to actual health management.” It’s also reported that Apple and Nike have “likely” agreed to integrate their services, which is not unexpected — Nike has stopped production of its FuelBand fitness tracker, which would have been a competitor.
Update: Re/code is corroborating the Nikkei report, claiming that Apple does indeed plan on scheduling a special event for its wearable device in October.
- WatchKit to roll out next month
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Apple Watch to come in 4GB, 8GB versions?
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Report: Apple gets 0.15 percent from each Apple Pay transaction
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Apple Pay Bank of America customers experiencing double-charges
- iPad Air 2 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- Apple’s new Maps Connect lets businesses manage listings, request iBeacon indoor mapping
- Apple reportedly begins in-store sales of iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0