Report links original iPad to nickel allergies
A new report in Pediatrics investigates an increase in nickel allergies that may be linked to the iPad, the Washington Post reports. The article cites the specific case of an 11-year-old boy with a rash. His skin tested positive for nickel, which doctors traced back to a 2010-vintage iPad “he had used with increasing frequency the past six months.” After using a case, his rash “significantly improved.”
Very little has been said previously about nickel as an iPad enclosure material; research suggests that it may have been used in aluminum alloys for some Apple products, including certain MacBooks and iPads, or may have made contact with otherwise aluminum devices during the manufacturing process. Symptoms of a nickel allergy may include a rash, skin bumps, itching, redness in skin color, dry patches of skin, or blisters and draining fluid in some severe cases, according to the Mayo Clinic. Apple had no comment.
It’s unclear at this time how widespread this problem is, but we recommend using a full-coverage case on an iPad — especially on iPads used by children. See our iPad case reviews for comprehensive details about what’s on the market.
- Apple already publishing iOS 9 Tips in latest developer betas
- Apple releases second iOS 9, watchOS 2 betas to developers
- Apple takes App Analytics out of beta, adds new features
- Original iPad mini disappears from Apple’s website
- iOS 9 keyboard hints at ‘iPad Pro’
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta with redesigned Music app
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ album to stream on Apple Music
- Apple publishes detailed list of Siri HomeKit commands
- Apple to pay 0.2 cents per song during Apple Music free trial
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- SwitchEasy Canvas + Rave for iPad Air 2
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?