Report: NBC, Apple to announce major iTunes deal [updated]
NBC Universal and Apple are set to announce a major deal that will make TV programming from NBC, USA Network, Sci Fi Channel and other outlets available on the iTunes Music Store, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“Details about the pact were murky, but sources said it was wide-ranging and would cover programming in a variety of genres and dayparts,” the entertainment trade publication reports. “It is expected that the deal will encompass some NBC Universal-produced primetime series and NBC’s late-night franchises ‘The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’ ‘Late Night With Conan O’Brien’ and possibly ‘Saturday Night Live.’”
Update: Apple has now added several new shows from NBC, Sci Fi, and USA. NBC shows include Law & Order, The Office, Surface, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. “Vintage NBC” shows offered are Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, Adam-12, and Knight Rider. The Sci Fi channel offers Battlestar Galactica, while USA offers Monk. Like the ABC TV shows, the NBC offerings cost $1.99 each.
Update #2: Prices for NBC videos range at the iTunes Music Store from $1.99 up to $9.99 per download. For instance, 6 to 12 minute sketches from the Conan O’Brien archive sell for $1.99 each, while 1 hour clips such as “10th Anniversary Special” and “The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” sell for $9.99. Apple is also selling the four-part Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica Miniseries only as a $15.99 “Album,” and not in lower-priced parts.
New: Share your opinions on the new $9.99 iTunes Download Pricing in the Reader Editorial.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?