Report: NBC, Apple to announce major iTunes deal [updated]
NBC Universal and Apple are set to announce a major deal that will make TV programming from NBC, USA Network, Sci Fi Channel and other outlets available on the iTunes Music Store, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“Details about the pact were murky, but sources said it was wide-ranging and would cover programming in a variety of genres and dayparts,” the entertainment trade publication reports. “It is expected that the deal will encompass some NBC Universal-produced primetime series and NBC’s late-night franchises ‘The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’ ‘Late Night With Conan O’Brien’ and possibly ‘Saturday Night Live.’”
Update: Apple has now added several new shows from NBC, Sci Fi, and USA. NBC shows include Law & Order, The Office, Surface, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. “Vintage NBC” shows offered are Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, Adam-12, and Knight Rider. The Sci Fi channel offers Battlestar Galactica, while USA offers Monk. Like the ABC TV shows, the NBC offerings cost $1.99 each.
Update #2: Prices for NBC videos range at the iTunes Music Store from $1.99 up to $9.99 per download. For instance, 6 to 12 minute sketches from the Conan O’Brien archive sell for $1.99 each, while 1 hour clips such as “10th Anniversary Special” and “The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” sell for $9.99. Apple is also selling the four-part Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica Miniseries only as a $15.99 “Album,” and not in lower-priced parts.
New: Share your opinions on the new $9.99 iTunes Download Pricing in the Reader Editorial.
- Report: Apple bans UK music service from iAd
- Apple considering ‘dramatic overhaul’ of iTunes Music Store
- iTunes credits sent out for e-book price fixing
- NPR news channel coming to iTunes Radio today
- UK digital download taxes could increase in 2015
- Report: Apple to launch Spotify rival, iTunes Android app?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple TV adds A&E, History, Lifetime channels
- Nike stopping FuelBand production
- Apple, Google seek exclusive game debuts
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac