Report: NBC, Apple to announce major iTunes deal [updated]
NBC Universal and Apple are set to announce a major deal that will make TV programming from NBC, USA Network, Sci Fi Channel and other outlets available on the iTunes Music Store, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“Details about the pact were murky, but sources said it was wide-ranging and would cover programming in a variety of genres and dayparts,” the entertainment trade publication reports. “It is expected that the deal will encompass some NBC Universal-produced primetime series and NBC’s late-night franchises ‘The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’ ‘Late Night With Conan O’Brien’ and possibly ‘Saturday Night Live.’”
Update: Apple has now added several new shows from NBC, Sci Fi, and USA. NBC shows include Law & Order, The Office, Surface, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. “Vintage NBC” shows offered are Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, Adam-12, and Knight Rider. The Sci Fi channel offers Battlestar Galactica, while USA offers Monk. Like the ABC TV shows, the NBC offerings cost $1.99 each.
Update #2: Prices for NBC videos range at the iTunes Music Store from $1.99 up to $9.99 per download. For instance, 6 to 12 minute sketches from the Conan O’Brien archive sell for $1.99 each, while 1 hour clips such as “10th Anniversary Special” and “The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” sell for $9.99. Apple is also selling the four-part Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica Miniseries only as a $15.99 “Album,” and not in lower-priced parts.
New: Share your opinions on the new $9.99 iTunes Download Pricing in the Reader Editorial.
- iTunes Festival channel returns to Apple TV
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Apple honors Robin Williams with webpage, iTunes section
- Apple releases iTunes 11.3.1
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple: Celeb photo hack ‘very targeted attack’ on accounts
- Apple investigating “iCloud” celebrity photo hack
- Elgato debuts Eve home sensor product line
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Cambridge Audio Go v2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today