Report: NBC, Apple to announce major iTunes deal [updated] | iLounge News

Report: NBC, Apple to announce major iTunes deal [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, December 6, 2005
News Categories: iTunes

NBC Universal and Apple are set to announce a major deal that will make TV programming from NBC, USA Network, Sci Fi Channel and other outlets available on the iTunes Music Store, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“Details about the pact were murky, but sources said it was wide-ranging and would cover programming in a variety of genres and dayparts,” the entertainment trade publication reports. “It is expected that the deal will encompass some NBC Universal-produced primetime series and NBC’s late-night franchises ‘The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’ ‘Late Night With Conan O’Brien’ and possibly ‘Saturday Night Live.’”

Update: Apple has now added several new shows from NBC, Sci Fi, and USA. NBC shows include Law & Order, The Office, Surface, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. “Vintage NBC” shows offered are Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, Adam-12, and Knight Rider. The Sci Fi channel offers Battlestar Galactica, while USA offers Monk. Like the ABC TV shows, the NBC offerings cost $1.99 each.

Update #2: Prices for NBC videos range at the iTunes Music Store from $1.99 up to $9.99 per download. For instance, 6 to 12 minute sketches from the Conan O’Brien archive sell for $1.99 each, while 1 hour clips such as “10th Anniversary Special” and “The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” sell for $9.99. Apple is also selling the four-part Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica Miniseries only as a $15.99 “Album,” and not in lower-priced parts.

New: Share your opinions on the new $9.99 iTunes Download Pricing in the Reader Editorial.

« ezGear Elite leather case for iPod nano announced

Sony rootkit included Apple FairPlay DRM? »

Comments

Still no TV in the UK store :-(

And when they are, they’ll still be £1.89 not $1.99 (£1.15)

Posted by PhilB on December 6, 2005 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

and still nothing for Aus either….!? *sigh*

Posted by yinyang on December 6, 2005 at 4:32 AM (PDT)

THIS IS HUGE!!!
ESPN wants in, FOX wants in, CNBS wants in, NBC is in full force now.

VINTAGE shows << huge. That’s free money for them.

Oh. My. God.
Macworld can’t come soon enough.

Posted by webster on December 6, 2005 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Well it may be Huge but still not very practical. I actually Ripped the Entire Adam 12 1st Season to my Pod. The DVD Box set cost me $23. Thats about 24 episodes at the Itunes Cost would be more than Double about $50. I use Videora to rip them at 480x352 so not only can I watch them on the ipod they look pretty nice on a standard TV. If my DVR fails to record Galactica I suppose the Store would be nice to catch the ep but thats about it.

Posted by Scarpad on December 6, 2005 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Tee hee. They said “dayparts.”

Good to have “The Office,” but no “My Name Is Earl?” PAH!

Posted by Hrothgar on December 6, 2005 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

The day FOX gets on there with Family Guy is the day I might seriously start buying TV Shows. I ALWAYS seem to miss that show. It would also be cool to see some Adult Swim shows, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I doubt that’ll ever happen, though.

Posted by Yanathin on December 6, 2005 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

Family Guy on iTunes would be awesome. No doubt itd be the best selling show on itunes if that were to happen. This is great news though. I just bought an episode of the jay leno show smile

Posted by dirtyblaize on December 6, 2005 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Great mix of shows to pick from. I’m a huge ‘Office’ fan, and I’m sure I’ll pick up a couple of the old Dragnet and Hitchcock shows.

P.S. I’d be all over Family Guy, too!

~Heather~

Posted by podeluxe on December 6, 2005 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

i missed the tom cruise episode on south park, would definitely pay 1.99 for that!

Posted by khyberny on December 6, 2005 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

Is it the real “Office” or that pale imitation US version with the guy from Anchorman in it?

Posted by Matt on December 6, 2005 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

I’m not paying $10 for an episode of conan o’brien.  No thanks.  I think the micromanaging of selling bits and sketches is kinda lousy.  Compare that to getting 40 minutes worth of content at the same price for any drama.  Conan’s funny, but not that funny.

Earl, ER, Stargate, et al shows won’t be listed on itunes just yet because although they are NBC/Universal aired shows, they are produced outside of NBC.  Earl’s a 20th Century show, Stargate is Sony, and ER is WB.

I guess Las Vegas isn’t listed because of myriad of music rights.  Bleh.

Posted by ajservo on December 6, 2005 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Battlestar Galactica on my iPod.  All is right in the world now.  This is a brilliant move!

Posted by m.sherman on December 6, 2005 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

If Apple keeps this up, and as the “self” encoding tools get better and better…..I’m gonna need a 120GB iPod Steve. Have the team get on that will ya’?

Posted by rrogers on December 6, 2005 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

I think this NBC deal is pretty cheap…for under 12 minute clips to be 1.99…that’s stupid…for the ABC shows…it’s 1.99 whether it’s a 24 min show…or the full hour long shows like desperate houswives.  For NBC to make their hour long shows 10 bucks!  They’re crazy!  I’m not buying those at that price!  You could get the whole season of that show for like 30 or 40 dollars!

Posted by artkid on December 6, 2005 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

artkid,

You have to keep in mind that NBC sells the hour-long Conan specials as standalone DVDs. They’re not going to undercut that price by 10 bucks.

You have to think of it more in the context of a movie. I would love to see feature-length films at 10! (Though at the same time I understand why that’s not really desirable for a small screen… The Conan specials are great because they can be viewed in very small clips.)

$

Posted by $ean-O on December 6, 2005 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

Yes! Battlestar Galactica is the best show ever, now i can get the episode I missed!

Do yourself a favor and watch this show it is fantastic.

Posted by ogvor on December 6, 2005 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

get comedy central and i’l be itune’s best customer

Posted by mrtambourineman on December 7, 2005 at 3:34 PM (PDT)