Report: New iPod to have wireless capabilities | iLounge News

Report: New iPod to have wireless capabilities

Apple may soon introduce a new iPod with wireless capabilities, according to DigiTimes. In a brief report, the publication claims: “Apple is expected to launch soon a new iPod that supports wireless capabilities so as to compete with Microsoft’s planned year-end launch of its Zune-branded MP3 players, according to market sources. Apple’s headquarters has begun dispatching its staff to its major markets in Asia, to teach local sales how to demonstrate the new products, the sources noted.” It has been reported that the Zune player will feature Wi-Fi support for sharing music with other Zune users and for downloading music without a computer.

« Teen sued over missing iPod

Razer debuts keyboard with iPod dock »

Comments

Greetings from Sweden. I have followed you very nice website long time ago and to say today hello, I am very happy!

Greetings and regardings from
Simpo Brinkflake

iPod Collectors chief of Sweden

Posted by LC Angell on August 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

It would be nice, but I bet it’s some Bluetooth device that plugs into the dock port, although I hope I’m proven wrong!! Let’s wait and see ;)

Posted by LC Angell on August 16, 2006 at 2:31 PM (CDT)

Except that there have already been indications that even the Zune will not be able to buy/download music without the aid of a computer:

After all, Microsoft has to keep the Unholy Trinity of Vista, Xbox 360, and Zune codependent and inextricable.

Posted by LC Angell on August 16, 2006 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

Yep Andy S you are correct!
Apparently the WiFi functionality is used between Zune players to Share music. It probably creates an ad hoc network and (like iTunes) share it’s library, or something like that!

Posted by LC Angell on August 16, 2006 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

See, competetion is good.  If it weren’t for Zune, Apple would have released a new iPod with a voice recorder or something and called it a 6G.

Posted by LC Angell on August 16, 2006 at 9:06 PM (CDT)

Dear Apple.

Please use wifi to liberate my music from my ipod to my stereo without a cable Please integrate the ipod and airport products.  I would like to use my ipod as a remote and let my amplifiers’s d/a converters do a much better job rendering music.

Is this too much to ask for?

Thank you.

Posted by LC Angell on August 17, 2006 at 1:08 PM (CDT)

Apple, please don’t use bluetooth… the technology sucks and isn’t anything that it should be. I can only dream that this is the release of wireless usb. Or just come up with your own propriatry wireless… anything but bluetooth.

Posted by LC Angell on August 17, 2006 at 9:25 PM (CDT)

um… Apple says “no wireless”. (See story submitted to Digg.com)  Sorry, dudes.  Really, who needs it?

Posted by LC Angell on August 18, 2006 at 4:38 AM (CDT)

Apple is in a world of sh%t with their investors and Jobs is to concerned with how that looks to mess with the Zune. They will do well inspite of the lacking features and limited WiFi.

Posted by LC Angell on August 18, 2006 at 6:39 PM (CDT)