Report: Next iPod to offer eBook functionality | iLounge News

Report: Next iPod to offer eBook functionality

Apple’s next iPod could allow users to read eBooks on its widescreen display, according to a report by Engadget. The gadget site claims that two “trustworthy” sources have provided details on Apple’s eBook plans, including the possibility of eBooks being sold on the iTunes Music Store. “According to a source at a major publishing house, they were just ordered to archive all their manuscripts—every single one—and send them over to Apple’s Cupertino HQ,” reports Engadget. “A separate trusted source let us know that the next iPod will have a substantial amount of screen real estate (as we’d all suspected), as well as a book reading mode that pumps up the contrast and drops into monochrome for easy reading.”

« Amazon movie service to launch next month; E-tailer drops music plans

Microsoft confirms Zune products »

Comments

mmmmmmmmmm…..man, if they put the Penguin Classics on ebook, i would be absolutely GIDDY.

though…i haven’t warmed to an ebook idea yet; perhaps in apple’s hands it would feel better.

Posted by shawn on July 24, 2006 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

I’d rather have stuff like that on my DS tbh.  It also depends what font they use.  Times New Roman looks good in print but never in pixels.

Posted by _Ethan on July 24, 2006 at 9:59 AM (CDT)

Let’s keep the iPod a music player, okie dokes? I have my BlackBerry if I need a calendar or feel like reading a book on a tiny screen.

Exactly how much more screen space will they give the iPod just to add this, in my opinion, useless app.? I don’t need any MORE white space under my menus.

Posted by WanderingStar on July 24, 2006 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

That’s great, and all, but what I really want is for the iPod to automatically download and display syndicated online content, such as blogs and news sites (like iLounge) to read on the iPod. Basically, managing print content the way it manages podcasts. I know there are a couple of 3rd party applications that do this, but I haven’t been impressed with the ones I’ve come across.

Posted by Jason on July 24, 2006 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

If the screen isn’t at least HVGA (320 x 480), what’s the piont?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 24, 2006 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

Wow, the pace of innovation is mind boggling.

Posted by Chris on July 24, 2006 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

I’m happy with the ipod setup now. I like the size it is now. BUT i wouldn’t mind maybe a slightly bigger screen. NOT REALLY INTERESTED IN EBOOKS!! I use my video ipod on my breaks at work thats not alot of time to read!!

Posted by DACIN on July 24, 2006 at 10:20 PM (CDT)

Do you really think that ebook is a good idea? If the next iPod still uses regular LCD screen, imagine the battery being sucked up having the large screen lighted up all the time. Unless Apple tremendously improves/add bigger battery, it will be just a gimmick, like video playback on the 5G. 2 hour for movies might be good enough, but reading a book can be longer than that. Battery life is the reason for E-Ink technology.

Or maybe Apple will go OLED?

Posted by pika2000 on July 25, 2006 at 2:23 AM (CDT)

I think eBooks are a great idea on an iPod with a larger screen.  I used to do eBooks on a PDA, and enjoyed always having books with me.  Now, with convergence devices like smartphones,  dedicated PDAs are falling off to the wayside. The large screen is the perfect environment for reading, and I’d be happy with that capability on the iPod (which I always have with me).

Posted by sosha on July 25, 2006 at 9:09 AM (CDT)

I would appreciate ebook ability too. In fact I use my pda a lot of times for ebook reading.

Posted by saminegm on July 26, 2006 at 12:42 AM (CDT)

I’m not a customer for this kind of technology. I much prefer the experience of holding a real book in my hands. After a period of reading voraciously on the internet [with about 50% of the content being really good and useful and the other half making me wish I hadn’t wasted the time] I’ve taken up reading books again and the book is the better experience.

Books always work, don’t need batteries, they have a reading area that is always large enough :) and there is no technology in the way to distract you.

Having said that, there will be people who want their entire library at hand and a 60Gig iPod with a great screen for reading books [something I would trust Apple to do exceedingly well] will give you one hell of a library.

Apple’s reason for doing it would be that it is stupid easy to implement, much easier than audio and video formats. All you need is content, a decent font to read the text and a good menu to find what you’re looking for. Books on an iPod would be what SMS is on cell phones. Exceedingly simple to implement, dirt cheap [depending on the rights] and a great added value for people who do want to read from a screen [which just about anybody who has an iPod no doubt does on a regular basis anyway].

Put a 120Gig drive in an iPod, add Rachmaninow and your favorite books and you’ll commute to and from work with a smile on your lips.

Posted by Jorge on July 27, 2006 at 8:37 AM (CDT)