Report: Next iPods to run OS X? | iLounge News

Report: Next iPods to run OS X?

According to a report by Ars Technica, Apple CEO Steve Jobs revealed during a speech to Apple employees today that the company has a team working on OS X for “some iPods we’re working on.” OS X, the Unix-based operating system that Jobs brought to the Macintosh following the acquisition of his company NeXT, is also the operating system found in iPhone, and credited for iPhone’s powerful multitasking, networking, and animation features, amongst others. Sources have suggested that the next-generation iPods mentioned by Jobs will debut in mid- to late-September, and include widescreen video playback, as well as other features similar to ones debuted in iPhone.

« Jobs: iPhone supply may not be enough

Steve Jobs: Free iPhones for Apple employees »

Comments

I think we all know what the iPod G6 would be like back in January.

Posted by Simon on June 28, 2007 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

y’know the minute this device gets realeased I am sooooo dumping my 80 gig iPod video…

Luckily, I encoded all my videos at 640 x 480 so I’m sure they’ll look sweet on this device!

Posted by ahMEmon on June 28, 2007 at 6:10 PM (CDT)

I got my 3G iPod just a little before the 4G models arrived.  I got my colour 4G when my old iPod died just weeks before the launch of the 5G.  Now the HD in my 4G is failing and it’s defiantly on it’s last legs, I’m desperately trying to eke it’s life out as long as possible because I don’t want to be stuck with the previous generation again.  Please let the new models be out by September!

Posted by phennphawcks on June 28, 2007 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

It would make sense to release it for the holiday shopping season if they’re planning to unveil it September.

Posted by Josh on June 28, 2007 at 6:25 PM (CDT)

OK, so now I’m actually excited. For anyone living outside of the US (or not willing to spend a minimum of US$1200 for a mobile service) the iPhone is cool, but not actually very useful. A widescreen iPod with a decent HDD and a touch interface would just be wonderful.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on June 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM (CDT)

Yea. The timing of this seems to coincide with a a holiday release

Posted by Crazydog on June 28, 2007 at 7:04 PM (CDT)

I can’t wait for the next MAC conference!  I’ll try to temper my excitement until then!

Posted by Black Beauty on June 28, 2007 at 7:06 PM (CDT)

Thank you Steve..We ipod updaters will reap the benefits of the iphone, when Gen 6 Vid/pod debuts in sept..

Patience has worked.
Also nand prices needed to drop.

Posted by mango on June 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

I’m banking on a widescreen iPod in much the same form factor as the iPhone. I predict it will look pretty much the same, but not as long, because an iPod wouldn’t need the ear piece nor the camera. It should be much the same size as the 5G, and if it has a 100Gb drive, as I hope it does, it will be about the same thickness as an 80Gb. I hope for the same finish too, which means we’ll see the end of the era of beautiful but easily spoilable chrome and a new love affair with anodised or brushed aluminium (I’m guessing that’s the material they used).

To me, iPhone heralds the new iPod interface. They’d be crazy not to use it, because the iPhone is an iPod. I imagine there will be a hardware menu button but the screen will be exactly the same. I would be annoyed if the screen were not true 16:9 but doubt that it will be.

I can’t wait for iPod Season! I will be stampeding to buy this thing!

Posted by Japester on June 28, 2007 at 8:11 PM (CDT)

As the last poster stated, I had the same reaction.

The 6G iPod will no doubt have the same graphical interface as the iPhone and drop a little bit of the hierarchical interface.

Maybe… JUST MAYBE… we’ll get a virtual keypad and be able to edit tags!! One can hope.

Posted by iScott on June 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM (CDT)

I would love to see the next iPod with many of the same features as the iPhone, the optical glass, a few   of the applications and mayybe even a camera. I basically want the iPhone but without the phone or internet parts because I don’t feel like paying that much for the service.

Posted by cartman005 on June 28, 2007 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

Please God, let it have a 16:9 screen!

Posted by Galley on June 28, 2007 at 10:43 PM (CDT)

I bought a 30gb White 5.5 today, Figure it will hold me till xmas and we see how the next versions fare. Still seems the 5.5’s will be more Pocketable than the 6G

Posted by Scarpad on June 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM (CDT)

Or, how about iTunes on the iPod?

EEH? Now, THAT’S what I’m talking about.

Posted by bryan on June 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM (CDT)

baller: i know its sounds zuney, but itd be awesome if a type of wifi or direct ipod-to-ipod chat system was built in so you could see what other ipod users are listing to, browse their library, and talk to them. itd be more practical than what zune has bc everyone will have the ipod to actually use the feature.

Posted by autumnfor on June 29, 2007 at 6:04 AM (CDT)

It could also compete more aggressively with the PSP and the Nintendo DS if apple started to seriously support games. The new iPhone interface would allow just about style of gameplay, and maybe some new ideas. Imagine apple stealing business off SONY and Nintendo as well this Christmas…

Posted by chris on June 29, 2007 at 7:05 AM (CDT)

I hope it dispenses with the HDD and uses entirely flash memory. The HDD is the weakest link in all of the higher-capacity iPods to date.

Posted by Doctor Mantis on June 29, 2007 at 9:47 AM (CDT)

The iPhone?  Whatever.  A 6 gen iPod?  Bring it on!

Posted by Obadiah on June 29, 2007 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

I checked out the iPhone last night, and while I was at first totally excited with it’s touch-screen interface, the excitement wore off when I realized that my current phone still had 3 years left, and I’d be paying about 500 dollars for this. Plus, the capacity would not hold all my songs.

I have held onto my 3rd Gen. iPod since I was 24, and will continue to do so until they release what we all hope will be the touch-interface 6G. I could see a camera being an option that’s included, as with the 4th gen color monitors, we were able to upload photos to the iPod.

When I get back from vacation, I’ll have to start saving a little nest-egg for the next release. I still dream of the day I can scroll through all my CD covers, including my rare and import CD’s. I have very strange dreams, indeed.

Posted by Mickey in Chi-town on July 1, 2007 at 3:11 AM (CDT)

I must be the only guy here that doesn’t want a widescreen iPod. I’m thinking on getting a 30GB video to replace my nano, and I don’t want to have my video outdated by an iPod that is basically an iPhone, without a few features. It’s pointless.

Posted by CMH on July 2, 2007 at 7:43 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >