Report: Terrorists planned to use iPod as detonator | iLounge News

Report: Terrorists planned to use iPod as detonator

According to CNN, terrorists planned to use iPods to help blow up airliners heading to the U.S. from the U.K. The plotters reportedly were to carry a “British version of Gatorade,” mix it with a gel-like substance to make an explosive, and detonate it with an iPod or cell phone. As is being widely reported today, British authorities arrested two dozen suspects overnight to thwart a massive plot to bring down as many as 10 flights bound for New York, Washington and California. In the U.S., liquids and gels of any kind (except baby formula and medicines) have been banned in carry-on baggage for the time being. Meanwhile, the U.K. has temporarily banned all liquids as well as electronics such as laptops, cell phones and iPods.

Update: While the front page of CNN.com continues to refer to the possible detonating devices as an “iPod or cell phone,” CNN’s latest story on today’s threat refers to only “MP3 players.”

iLounge Editorial: The iPod Bomb? Don’t Panic

« BBC looks to develop radio device for iPods

Saffire rolls out large iPod accessory lineup »

Comments

When we start curtailing simple freedoms like bringing bottles of juice and personal music onto planes and god knows what else, THAT’s how the terrorists win.

Posted by Belfast-Biker on August 11, 2006 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

df57
“We don’t know all the facts but the truth is that an actual iPod (not some generic MP3 player or other device) may have been used in the plot. “

As stated on UK TV this afternoon the bombs were suspected of being activated by MP3 player, phone or electronic key fob.

No mention of iPod.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on August 11, 2006 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Bob,

I agree with you when you say that business will be severly curtailed if they ban laptops outright and unfortunately money is the thing that speaks rather than a government policy.  I also think that the media has overhyped the whole iPod thing.

For those worried about your laptop or other electronic device being stolen, you could just pack it at the bottom of you regular luggage, with your clothes on top.  Nobody would steal a bunch of crappy t-shirts if they were on top of a laptop and a mp3 device.

Personally, I think the gov’ts are just jumping to conclusions and it will be business as usual in a few days and refuse to think that what is now going on will be the new norm; but then again I could be wrong.

Posted by Melissa on August 11, 2006 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

There are NO carry-on restrictions on electronics according to the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov). Here’s the specifics, from their FAQ site; I’ll past the full URL at the end:

Q: Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true?
A: No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items as carry-on items.

Copied Sat, 12 Aug 06 from:
click here

Posted by Chuck on August 12, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

travelling tommorow and i have to leave my ipod and phone in my bag, lets hope it dont get damaged or stolen….

Posted by ... on August 12, 2006 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Some restrictions have now been lifted regarding carry on items - hand luggage is restricted to a bag no bigger than a laptop case/small rucksack and the ban on liquids still stands.
Electronic items such as laptops, phones etc are now being allowed amongst your items - this easing of restrictions is being rolled out across various airports, as some were still sticking to the previous restrictions.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on August 14, 2006 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

These F_CKING People!!! Damnit!  Do they REALLY have nothing better to do, but blow-#### up?  Get a job… or something?  Or better yet, blow-yourselves up and save everyone the trouble.

I have my iPod-NANO on me ALL THE TIME.  It’s like the one joy in my life at work.  And it’s my rock when I fly (because I hate flying).  NOW I have to give that up?  It’s just one thing after another with them… I swear.

Thanks… Bin Assh_le!  Funny… how quick you are to use technology with it suits YOU.  Why don’t you stick to your-so-called-principles, and go pound sand.

Posted by crlake on August 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3