Reports: Apple to hold special event on September 12th | iLounge News

Reports: Apple to hold special event on September 12th

Based on reports from European Apple enthusiast websites and last night’s YourMacLife radio broadcast, Apple is in the process of inviting members of the press to a special event for new products, to be held on September 12, 2006. According to these reports, the invitation is unspecific as to the type of products to be shown and will be held at an as-yet-undisclosed location in Northern California, despite the fact that the event will fall on the same day as the opening of Apple Expo in Paris, France, an event the company publicly declined to open with a keynote speech. European journalists will reportedly attend a teleconference in London of the live California event. Analysts and Apple watchers have long predicted that new iPods, full-length iTunes movie downloads, and possibly even an “iPhone” would be introduced this fall.

« Apple settles iTunes patent lawsuit

Japanese robot turns iPod into ‘boombox on wheels’ »

Comments

Sweet, new ipod to beat the crap zune!

Posted by Eric Lewis on August 31, 2006 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

Woohoo! New iPod!

Posted by Bonk on August 31, 2006 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

There’s word on a bunch of Mac sites that this keynote is to be held in Cupertino and its broadcast transmitted to the invited journalists in Paris during the first day of the Expo.

IIRC, Apple only stated that Steve Jobs wouldn’t be delivering a keynote at the expo in Paris, so one might have to take that statement literally to understand that a keynote someplace else is still perfectly in line.

Posted by MICHAE2414 on August 31, 2006 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

It’s about time!

Eric Lewis - How can you say that when the Zune has not even been released yet, you Mac lover.

Posted by LOST| on August 31, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Jobs is staying in America to introduce new ipod(s?), probably in some hall in L.A.
That’s my take on it anyhoo. New flash players will definately be introduced. Apple can wait a bit till it introduces a new top-end iPod, imo. A price reduction would be more apt.

Posted by Liam on August 31, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

By “top end” I assume you mean the more expensive hard drive based iPods. If by “top end” you mean better I have to dissagree. The flash based iPods while smaller capacity are much better iPods. They are actually portable, they don’t skip and the sound quality is better. I don’t care for style much but if you do then the Nano is much more chic than the larger iPods. Let’s face it nobody “needs” 60gb of music on thier commute.

Posted by Lockhart on August 31, 2006 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

I don’t use my iPod much on the go, actually. My main use is in it’s dock, with a hi-fi. 30gb is the lowest model than can do my whole library at 192kbps aac (the level where I can’t notice the difference). I may well ‘need’ 60gb at a later date. I’m 17, and already have about 200 albums. I can see how, for instance, a middle-aged music lover would find 60gb wasn’t enough.

Posted by Liam on August 31, 2006 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

“They are actually portable…”

Funny, last time I checked, my 4G 20 GB iPod fits perfectly fine in my pocket. So did my 3G 20 GB.

“they don’t skip”

Neither of my iPod’s has ever skipped but then again, I probably don’t shake it enough.

“and the sound quality is better”

Try listening to an iPod through real headphones, not the cheapo ones Apple provides, although you might be right since I believe the nano has a newer audio chip.

“I don’t care for style much but if you do then the Nano is much more chic than the larger iPods.”

Come back to me once you accidentally snapped your nano in half.

“Let’s face it nobody “needs” 60gb of music on thier commute.”

I definitely need the 9 GB of music I own during those dull moments in class. I’m pretty sure my videos can take up another 20 GB too.

Posted by Nobody on August 31, 2006 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

The iPod is a portable device and most of us don’t need/want EVERYTHING on it when we are out. My music collection is 90+GB and doesn’t fit on any iPod. Still, when I replace my old 15GB 3G iPod it will probably be a Nano with less capacity, because size trumps storage when I am carrying it in my pocket. Really, 1500 songs is enough for an afternoon.

That being said, for those who use the iPod as a music source at home in a static environment, some better solution could be reached that would avoid the issues of small screen, batteries, etc. as there is no need for that stuff. Many, many possibilities here.

Me, I think that this event isn’t about the iPod but about migrating the Macintosh line to Core 2 Duo. I could be wrong!

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on August 31, 2006 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Oy, Liam, you cheeky young pup! I’m only 34 and my iTunes library currently stands at 65 Gb, (including a lot of podcasts I’ve not listened to yet).

Posted by PhilB on August 31, 2006 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

i am only 14 and my 30 gb ipod is abut 2/3 full (about 23 gigs of music and movies) and i plan on downloading more movies when the itunes movie store comes out. so i do need a larger ipod. but more important to me is right now i have a ibook that is totally maxed out on memory because of all the non ipod formatted movies i have on it…which is probably about 20 more gigs

Posted by killa on August 31, 2006 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

I have 200GB of music.  I’d kill toget it all on one iPod, but I know that won’t happen.  I’d be satisfied with that new 120GB drive that’s been talked about though.  smile

Posted by stark23x on August 31, 2006 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

Gut Feel…

I sold my 4th gen 20 gig ipod.

Nano with 12 gig / 15 gig for sure…

12 days to go !!

Posted by Vijay on August 31, 2006 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

basically i have my entire library encoded at 112 kbps and it just barely fits on my 60gb, i have no podcasts or videos, only music. so yeah, i assume there are others like me who actually need sixty gigs.

Posted by mrmojorisingi on August 31, 2006 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

I went to my local apple store today and got word that I shouldn’t but an apple until next week. There is supposed to be a release of core duo 2 imacs and mac minics next tuesday.

Posted by buzski on August 31, 2006 at 9:23 PM (PDT)

I have 51+ GB of MUSIC. That’s not counting podcasts or videos. I really liked having my entire library with me (back when I had under 30GB of music), so its really hard for me to use a 30GB right now raspberry

I’d love a new 80GB widescreen iPod at the same price as the old 60GBs. I’d jump on that in a second… especially if it played Xvid and Divx. I like watching TV shows on my iPod, but I can’t stand waiting an hour to convert something that I’m going to end up watching once and then delete.

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on September 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

I keep my 20Gb 4G at home, with all of my music on it, and take my 2Gb nano with me when I go out. I’ve never come close to listening to 2Gb worth of music in one day. Not even near-continuous play. This system works for me.

Posted by Jesse on September 1, 2006 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

yes! here it comes! i am so anxious!

Posted by mike H on September 1, 2006 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

I have 5 terrabytes of music in MP3/AAC/FLAC/SHN/APE formats, so I dream of a player that could help me hold all that smile

Personal opinion is that the MAC rumour camp will go into work overtime mode and eventually, whatever is announced, it will be a disappointment for everyone except those of us who take absolutely no notice of MAC rumours.

A little birdy told me that Jobs is going to ‘one more thing’ a Zune killer - even if the Zune’s not released yet I just know Apple are lining up something to kick MS .

Posted by NJO on September 1, 2006 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

“I have 5 terrabytes of music “

does that much even exist

Posted by IndPur on September 1, 2006 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >