Reports: Apple to hold special event on September 12th | iLounge News

Reports: Apple to hold special event on September 12th

Based on reports from European Apple enthusiast websites and last night’s YourMacLife radio broadcast, Apple is in the process of inviting members of the press to a special event for new products, to be held on September 12, 2006. According to these reports, the invitation is unspecific as to the type of products to be shown and will be held at an as-yet-undisclosed location in Northern California, despite the fact that the event will fall on the same day as the opening of Apple Expo in Paris, France, an event the company publicly declined to open with a keynote speech. European journalists will reportedly attend a teleconference in London of the live California event. Analysts and Apple watchers have long predicted that new iPods, full-length iTunes movie downloads, and possibly even an “iPhone” would be introduced this fall.

« Apple settles iTunes patent lawsuit

Japanese robot turns iPod into ‘boombox on wheels’ »

Comments

5 terrabytes of music is roughly 1,200,000 songs. It’s not impossible to have a library that big.

Posted by nick on September 1, 2006 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

If NJO really does have 5 terrabytes of music and you assume that is 1,200,000 songs at an avereage of 4 min. long and you listen to music 6 hours a day that’s 13,333.333 days or 36 years 27 weeks 4 days of listening to all of it and not repeating a single song.  Wow!

Posted by davidg on September 1, 2006 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

He did say that he used these formats:FLAC/SHN/APE as well as AAC and MP3. If you have a lot of FLAC, that wouldn’t be hard.

Posted by geoff on September 1, 2006 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

I’ve got 1.25 TB in FLAC format. I’m still on my crusade for Apple to add FLAC format to the iPod:

mp3 is to AAC DRM’d
as
FLAC is to ALAC

COME ON APPLE! ADD FLAC!

Posted by m@ on September 1, 2006 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

m@: Get rockbox, I’m pretty sure it supports FLAC. And don’t hold your breath on Apple adding support for FLAC, considering the iPod isn’t really made for Audiophiles, it’s more for the casual listener.

Posted by Nobody on September 1, 2006 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

I don’t currently have an mp3 player, but hope to pick one up in the next month or so.
There appears to be a lot of speculation surrounding the release of new ipods on Sept 12..the nanos have definite appeal for their portability and sound quality, one thing thing has prevented me for buying one is the capacity max 4GB.
Are there any rumours of nano upgrades and if so, the capacity increase??

Posted by viewer on September 2, 2006 at 1:24 AM (PDT)

well its most likley some kind of ipod update, because apple has been announcing nothing but mac stuff since the ipod video last year. apple can’t go a full a year without introducing something new or different in the ipod line.

Posted by clayton Young on September 2, 2006 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

having that amount suprised me and yes like m@ I wish I wish I wish Apple would add FLAC support because its become the defacto standard for bootleg and weed recordings. Acquiring that amount is fairly easy if you collect concert recordings, which is one reason why I’ve always laughed about these so called PC experts you hear on podcasts or on the web saying ‘oh if you just get a terrabyte of hardisk you can store your whole life on it’ - sorry no but a terrabyte couldn’t even hold all of the Pink Floyd concerts I own and thats just one group. Keeping them in lossy format isn’t a option because nobody trades in concerts made from something like substandard 320kbps files and I would be ashamed to give anybody anything less than as perfect a copy of the original recording - its either lossless in FLAC or SHN or forget it.

The only thing is that you end up owning a lot of hardisks and you have to keep a backup copy just in case, although touch wood I’ve never had a drive fail. Also storing on CD is a total no no because they can fail and you can loose a gig and thats a unthinkable disaster.

... now my record collection…. thats another matter entirely smile

Posted by NJO on September 2, 2006 at 4:23 AM (PDT)

I’m on the verge of purchasing a black MacBook. Do you think this upcoming annoucement will have any effect on the MacBook line up and/or price? Any help would be appreciated before I order! Thanks

Posted by Ben S on September 2, 2006 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

Ben S, I’d hold off on buying a Macbook for now - you never know what might be coming in 2 weeks.

Posted by KAC on September 2, 2006 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

I’ve been waiting to get an iPod for a while now. I hope that they release a wide-screen iPod. I probably wouldn’t use the movie store but would love to rip all my Family Guy DVD’s to my computer and put them on my iPod.

Posted by eddie on September 2, 2006 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

I can see how, for instance, a middle-aged music lover would find 60gb wasn’t enough.

Tell me about it; no terrabytes here (digital is all about portability for me), but even with 96k-320k lossy the 95GB of AAC/MP3 (so far) has overrun both my 60GB 5G and 40GB 4G, with still at least half of my CD collection yet to rip, not to mention another 1400 or so vinyl LPs. My old 40GB 3G sounds too lousy in comparison to bring out of retirement—plus, I think I need to rip it open and replace the battery again.

I could really use a 250GB device…gotta have room for expansion wink...and a combo case for my favorite CMOY amp.

Posted by flatline response on September 2, 2006 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

My music collection is 25 Berabytes and I use a Mac farm just to hold my music.

I usually have to hold 58 iPods just to listen 1% of my music :(

Posted by Bill Gates on September 3, 2006 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

hmmmmmmmmm why hasnt anyone asked ABOUT THE BATTERY LIFE

Posted by ph3412t3h13 on September 4, 2006 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

I don’t think Apple will meet the todays demand on new upcoming ipod models like WiFi, Bluetoothenable, over 60GB, 4inch plus screen, longer battery life, Iphone. Anyhow i hope Apple will launh monthely subsription service and increase the bitrate.

Posted by Eskay on September 4, 2006 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

WiFi looks like it will be a possibility especially since PortalPlayer has made their newer chips with built in WiFi. Bluetooth looks like another possibility. Making an iPod with more than 60 GB isn’t possible (yet) unless you want to have a dual HD iPod, but that won’t last for long, since 120 GB 1.8” HDs are coming out soon. 4”+ screen? Hahaha, even the Zune doesn’t have a screen that big (3”). I can only imagine an iPod with a 4” screen would be considerably wider in order to keep a proper viewing ratio. Longer battery life could be possible, if Apple started using better batteries.

Posted by Nobody on September 4, 2006 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

Making an iPod with more than 60 GB isn’t possible (yet)

I thought Toshiba currently has a 80GB drive available.

Posted by flatline response on September 4, 2006 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

I’ve got 40,000 watts of funkin’...

Posted by fuzzywells on September 5, 2006 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2