Retail Apple Stores deny unlocked iPhones Genius Bar, tech support | iLounge News

Retail Apple Stores deny unlocked iPhones Genius Bar, tech support

Following publication of its statement earlier this week that the use of unlocking software voids iPhone warranty coverage, Apple has posted a similar warning in its retail Apple Stores, denying Genius Bar assistance and technical support to users of unlocked iPhones.

image

The warning contains a modified version of the text found in Apple’s earlier statement, omitting the reference to the “next iPhone software update… later this week,” but now specifically noting that “An unlocked iPhone is not eligible for Genius Bar service or technical support.” It is presently unclear whether Apple’s new policy violates state laws on express or implied warranties for products.

« Apple, Orange struggle over iPhone terms

Apple updates iPod touch software to v1.1.1 »

Comments

If I modify the engine in my car, the manufacturer won’t honor the warranty. Why would it be any different for Apple and the iPhone?

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on September 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM (CDT)

RNB:

Thats not entirely true. They won’t honor the warranty on the part that failed if it was caused by your modifications. But if your power windows no longer work, they can’t deny the claim because you put a supercharger on your engine.

But if you put a rod through your block after that supercharger, then yeah, you’ll get denied.

Posted by Jay on September 27, 2007 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

Yeah, if my home button pops off, I don’t care what they say about it being unlocked, it better get fixed.

Posted by Jeff on September 27, 2007 at 8:05 PM (CDT)

they will never get the iphone back its been unlocked once something is unlocked its almost impossible to lock it again, i have an unlocked iphone and i will never pay to att haahah such losers

Posted by alex on September 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM (CDT)

That’s what you get for messing with other peoples software. When you buy an apple product you are not buying the right to alter the software.

Posted by Steve on September 28, 2007 at 12:59 AM (CDT)

RNB is right on-but I will go further and say that the mere act of unlocking the iphone voids the warranty-its the same idea as opening up and tinkering with any laptop or desktop or even ipod-there are only certain things that you can do

Posted by dave on September 28, 2007 at 1:35 AM (CDT)

BS.
The installation of 3rd party apps on your iMac Laptop does not void it.

As a matter of fact, storing computer virus software on your iPod doesn’t either.

So now 3rd party apps are banned, and the $600.00 Apple lovers shelled out for an early iPhone, played with it, got so excited to install new things ... get a brick? This was intentional, and is ridiculous.

I was once an Apple advocate.
Now? To hell with them. You can really see the corporate wheels spinning here on this one. Blatant, and messed up for the Apple community. I am in awe. For those of you who did not modify your phone, I bet you jumped and were so “Wow! how cool!” to see all the modifications, and fun things you could do with the phone. Now your just spewing BS, and “I told you so garbage” because you didn’t know how to do it yourself.

I feel for the iPhone fans, and actually now for Apple, since no doubt they will soon see a big loss in fan base. First, dropping the phone price to where it no longer became a premium product costing early adopters tons more than needed. Now, destroying the early adopters phones? Man ...

Posted by Jordan on September 28, 2007 at 2:00 AM (CDT)

Sure, I’m no fan of my iPhone being locked to at&t, but I KNEW THAT GOING IN.  These people unlocking their phones are buying the phones knowing full well it is only supposed to work with at&t.  They are then installing non-Apple software and expecting Apple to support it?  I have no pity.  Bunch of whiners that think Apple has to do what they want.  Look, as much as we all hate it, Apple made an agreement with at&t.  They are bound by that for a period of time.  Of *course* they have to go this route, or at&t will no doubt pursue Apple for damages and breach of contract.  Just be reasonable, people - think this through.

Posted by m.sherman on September 28, 2007 at 8:11 AM (CDT)

@Jordan

Hacking the iPhone did not cause the bricking of the iPhone, those apps were just erased and the iPhone was set back to the default config. Unlocking the iPhone so it can be used with another carrier caused the bricking.

Apple never supported 3rd party apps on their iPhone unlike on a Mac. They also warned people this might happen. The analogy between a mac and the iPhone is not correct because Apple released tools and authorized people to dev apps for the Mac they did not do this for the iPhone.

Stop whining about the fact that Apple isn’t allowing you to mess with their software, you buy an iPhone you sign an agreement. That simple, you don’t like the agreement then don’t get the iPhone.

Posted by StinkyToFu on September 28, 2007 at 9:20 AM (CDT)

btw i used to have an w810 sony ericsson and i never updated it so i dont need those new updates the phone can stay on 1.0.2 for more time, hackers will find the way to break it, its only a phone either way apple wins, but 2 years for a contract with att?? thanks but no thanks, look at the psp how it is today, you can run PSX games now hahaha and even emulate a lot of things, im not desperate for the new update my phone works alright

Posted by alex on September 28, 2007 at 9:23 AM (CDT)

If the hacker provide a fix to relock the unlocked phones then this will prove 2 things;
- Apple is not all powerful as it appears to be by using agressive actions (it has become pretty arrogent recently)
- That Apple could have just relocked (they know the bug exploted in the unlock) any unlocked phone, ergo this action was a deliberate one to ‘brick’ these unlocked phones

If the latter is true then from a legal front things could get interesting - it is not legal to unlock an phone in the US and the wording in the judgement suggests you can’t deliberately prevent the user from doing the unlock - this fix does by bricking the phone. Also it would be like the a garage taking the engine out of your car and keeping it just because you added a new stereo - sorry I hate the car analogue as most use a hardware parallel whereas this is really a software/firmware issue. No one has ever taken such a agressive move with respect to any other consumer product.

Outside of the legal stuff this is clearly another public relations guff - one of at least 2 in the last couple on months

Posted by Tony on September 28, 2007 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

I’m really on the fence with this one. I’m leaning toward believing that these people purchased a phone knowing it is meant, marketed, agreed and geared toward using ATT. I hate ATT personally and will not buy a iphone because of that reason. As much of a pain in the A that I am I would not expect Apple to work on my completely altered phone.

The correct analogy would be to buy a Toyota Corolla and modify the car to be used on a race track and expect Toyota to fix a problem; even pertaining to the dashboard wood laminate peeling off. Does that have a damn thing to do with the modifications…not at all. Can Apple or any company keep prices down by troubleshooting errors that came from out of scope usage? It’s not possible. Nobody twisted your arm when you were sitting at home saying ‘oh geez I need one of those damn iPhones’. Jobs didn’t come through the TV and grab you by the short hairs and say “Let’s go, you’re going down to the store to pick up an iPhone and you’re going to like it!”

If your home button falls off, get some glue. The great functions of the phone don’t even work on other networks so why bother??? Visual voicemail is the only cool thing on this phone. Buy and iPod and wait for the new Google system to be up and then you can use any phone (including the new Google phone which is fantastic) and you won’t have to worry. ATT service is abysmal at best. At least in the North East and I’ve read reports that there are 10 mile radius dead spots in the Mountain time zones and even some in the Mid West areas.

iPod + a nice phone + a good network will work great. If you modify, I think you have to live with the consequences.

My 2 cents…more like 3 :)

Posted by bw6168 on September 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

I SIM unlocked my iPhone so that I could use it in Canada.  I knew going in that it would void any warranty that I had, all of the SIM unlocking sites say as much if they’re being honest, and that future updates might brick the phone.

I’m just not going to update the software until someone figures out how to unlock it.  As for complaining about Apple, I’m not going to to do that.  I knew going into this what was going to happen because I did my research which you should do if you’re going to spend $400 on something you’re then going to hack.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on September 28, 2007 at 1:38 PM (CDT)

I’m really on the fence with this one.  On one hand, I see Apple’s logic, and on the other I see that they could handle this issue more delicately, with more finesse.

I keep waiting for these public relations gaffes to come back to bite Apple and Steve in the butt.

I think the iPod is too big of an icon at this point, but we saw yesterday that it’s quite possible to break the iTunes stranglehold in the U.S.

And the iPhone doesn’t have the market saturation that the iPod does.  It’s still in its infancy.  More public relations blunders with regards to the iPhone could really hurt Apple.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on September 28, 2007 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

Tony, did you mean to say that it’s not IL-legal to unlock your phone in the US?

It is indeed COMPLETELY legal to unlock our iPhones, at least by copyright law.

I hate to say it, but I hope Apple DID proactively brick unlocked phones, provided the hackers find out and publish it to the world and we get some class action lawsuit happening.  The precident needs to be set, one way or another.  Either the battle between manufacturer/modifier keeps raging as it is right now between Apple and the Dev team, or once and for all modifiers will have the legal right to modify devices and companies can’t do a legal thing to stop it.

Posted by SmartAlx on September 28, 2007 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

Here’s the thing. I’ve noticed that a lot of Apple’s decisions lately have been very “un-Apple” in general. The iPod TV out business, for example. So as of now I’m not exactly happy with the path they’re following and I’ve been a diehard fan for a long time.
However, in this case I have to side with Apple. They put a lot of emphasis on making the iPhone AT&T exclusive. I think that was was dumb and is a reason I will never buy an iPhone, but they did it anyway. Still, I believe they have every right, and in fact even an obligation to AT&T, to refuse service on iPhones that violate this agreement. If you unlock your iPhone, you’re doing so in full knowledge that it’s going against Apple’s wishes, so it’s a bit much to expect them to fix your hardware for free after that I think.

Posted by Joshdude on September 28, 2007 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

i think its a battle apple has lost already, i haven’t seen any device locked again, and i think the iphone its not any different, screw voice mail, screw att hahaha suckers

Posted by alex on September 28, 2007 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

Yes , it’s your property and Apple as well as Steve Jobs won’t dispute that very fact .In fact they won’t care what you use the iPhone for , but here is the catch , are you ready for this , they own and supply the updates for your iPhone . So it you want the updates for YOUR iPHONE from Apple , you abide by the rules and if you don’t, you are also permitted by Apple not to update your iPhone until the hackers find the way to crack Apple’s code so you can enjoy Apple’s iPhone updates .

You have the right and the responsibility to enjoy the use of your property as you see fit and Apple has the right and responsibility to support the majority of owners who followed the rules .

Posted by Wil Cruz on September 28, 2007 at 8:17 PM (CDT)

I love how ‘SmartAlx’ has jumped on the lawsuit bandwagon already… I just hope that everyone with bricked iPhones learn a valuable lesson.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA

I laugh in your face!

Posted by Anthony Harris on September 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

Neither car analogy is quite accurate. Adding a turbocharger to your Mustang might void its warranty, but Ford is not going to deactivate the fuel pump when you bring the car in for service. Modding a car’s engine could significantly effect the car’s longevity and reliability (hence not honoring the warranty if you blow up the engine) while unlocking a phone… well, slim chance of that… Apple could simply relock the phone, charge a reactivation fee, but brick the phone on purpose? How can anyone defend such recourse? It’s as un-American as kiwi pie. Apple products are cool, but immagine the slack Microsoft would get - Microsoft may appear to be the bad guy, but they’re not even close to rotten Apple potential.

Posted by Paul on October 2, 2007 at 1:11 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >