Reuters: MusicMatch launches digital download service | iLounge News

Reuters: MusicMatch launches digital download service

“MusicMatch, the software company best known for its popular music player, on Monday launched a pay-as-you-download music service, the latest entrant in the increasingly heated market for online music.

Offering a library of more than 200,000 songs at 99 cents each, the MusicMatch service will allow computer users to buy and download music with few restrictions, a model pioneered by Apple Computer Inc.‘s (AAPL)  iTunes Music Store in May.”

« Times Online UK: Apple’s man in black takes on the music pirates

USA TODAY: Windows-based MusicMatch hopes to match Apple iTunes »

Comments

This is a whole lot better than BuyMusic crap.  Im still holding out for iTunes, but I expect I’ll use both services.

If I cant find what I’m looking for on ITMS, then I’ll go to MMJB. and get tit there.  Only problem is to convert WMV -> CD -> MP3 -> iPod.

Posted by gilatrout on September 29, 2003 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Doesn’t affect me; Musicmatch’s download service is currently only available to US residents. I hope iTunes at least will be available to all of us don’t live in the US of A.

Posted by ketsugi on September 29, 2003 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

What time of file format musicmatch let you download is it mp3? and does the musicmatch 8.1 works with ipod?

Posted by standreamcast on September 29, 2003 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

MusicMatch Downloads will not work with the Ipod, due to the fact that the files are in a WMA format.

As gilatrout said in his comment:
convert WMV -> CD -> MP3 -> iPod

Meaning that we have to make audio CDs of our downloads and then rip the CD tracks to MP3. What a pain in the butt.

Posted by Matt on September 29, 2003 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

might as well stick to ITMS or emusic

Posted by tetro on September 29, 2003 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

heh… look at this… a dell fan site… kinda lame.

Posted by jeff_k on September 29, 2003 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

That Dell DJ site (http://www.djhacks.com) looks like total ########. It has Dell Marketing Department written all over it. Why would anyone develop a fan site for a product that hasn’t even been released? Read it. It’s all marketing hype.

Posted by Qweltol on September 29, 2003 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Very possible, the djhacks.com site WhoIs info has been obfuscated by a professional service, ProtectFly.com, that specialize in this sort of thing for Clients who don’t want their ownership or sponsorship exposed.

DJHacks.com -> enom.com -> ProtectFly.com -> ????

Domain Name: DJHACKS.COM

StateProvince: NY
PostalCode: 10169
Country: US
Phone: +1.2122952121
Fax: +1.2122952153
EmailAddress:

Posted by meehawl on September 29, 2003 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

MusicMatch Downloads has some Beatles music, more than iTunes has at least for now wink.

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on September 29, 2003 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

wow - that dj hacks site is way too clean and polished to be anything other than the dell marketing dept. wearing a fake moustache. trying to make “man on the street” hype for something that hasn’t launched yet seems totally fishy to me.

Posted by evilrobot on September 29, 2003 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

Yeah, they also delete any comments about their site, or about the DellPod that aren’t positive. They also delete member accounts. Creeps.

Posted by meehawl on September 29, 2003 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

I like the idea of MM’s song downloading feature,but my experiences with MM give me serious pause. It seems the only way that you can buy from the MM store is to download 8.1. They don’t seem to be making any allowances for people who prefer staying with 7.5,or paid additional money for the ability to upgrade,which I did.Plus,MM’s customer service is the worst.
When I tried to use 8.1,I had the worst time syncing up my Ipod.In frustration,I gave up,and went back to 7.5,which only took two days to re-install. I’m also not to keen on having to re-rip everything to MP3.
I think I’ll stick it out and wait for I-Tunes.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 3, 2003 at 10:15 AM (PDT)