RhinoSkin debuts hard case for 5G iPod, nano | iLounge News

RhinoSkin debuts hard case for 5G iPod, nano

imageRhinoSkin has introduced a new hard case for the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. The new case is made of transparent, polycarbonate plastic with an aluminum back. It also comes with a a white stretch lanyard, removable post and belt clip, Stuffbak protection label, and provides access to the click wheel, dock connector and headphone jack. The RhinoSkin Aluminum HardCase for the nano sells for $30, while the 5G iPod cases, available in 30GB and 60GB sizes, are priced at $35.

« iPod, iTunes highlights from Apple’s Q1 conference call

XtremeMac expands Iconz line with MLB, character cases »

Comments

Ugly (especially the fact that they slapped their company logo above the clickwheel…BAD IDEA), EXPENSIVE!!  there are quite a few cheaper plastic case alternatives.  What’s the point of the aluminum back anyway?  If the front of your iPod hits something, the aluminum ain’t gonna help it.  I would rather save 10 bucks and get a Agent18 videoshield.

Posted by donut on January 19, 2006 at 1:06 PM (CST)

Cool case, but a little pricey!

Posted by Jason B on January 19, 2006 at 1:13 PM (CST)

Why are’nt these the same as Rhinoskins for other devices? My Rhinoskin for my Dell Axim is all aluminum. Making it a Hybrid of Alluminum and plastic is a bad idea. Especially for $35

Posted by Scarpad on January 19, 2006 at 1:38 PM (CST)

I totally disagree with the above negative comments, except for the comment about the lame RhinoSkin logo.

I really like the concept of a clear plastic case - keep your iPod looking like an iPod even in a case.  But, because I require a case with a belt clip, what I have been very uncomfortable about is the fact the belt clips on those clear cases that come with one (e.g., XtremeMac and CountourDesign) look cheap and bound to break with a good tug.

This case appears to provide not only the advantage of letting you see the entire front part of the iPod through the clear plastic, but also the strength of aluminum on the back to support the belt clip—which attaches to a metal post.  Looks good to me so far.

I look forward to iLounge’s thorough review of this product.  But do it quick!  I need a new case for my new iPod Video.

Posted by ipodsuperfreak on January 19, 2006 at 2:18 PM (CST)

Are these really new? Amazon says they were available back in November!

The reviews I read said that the case itself actually scatches the screen - not good!

Does anyone have any advice as to the best case for a 60GB Video iPod…

Thanks.

Posted by Nik on January 19, 2006 at 2:30 PM (CST)

Hey Nik, try the podsplus case, very cool and well built. I quickly returned my new MicroShield case from Xtrememac as soon as my Podsplus case came in.

Fits great and the black is very cool, works great with my Kensington FM Transmitter in my car and has a removable belt clip for other times.

Posted by SP1083 on January 19, 2006 at 2:39 PM (CST)

Just to add something else, the problem with this case and any other plastic case for that matter is the scratch factor. They all scratch as much as the iPod itself, not too mention all the fingerprints show, and after owning 5 iPods, the 5th being my newest, I have always been able to sell my old iPod quickly because of how flawless I keep them in aluminum cases.

The Podsplus case takes everything great from iPod Armor and improves it 100%.

Posted by SP1083 on January 19, 2006 at 2:43 PM (CST)

dudes c’mon.  what are you doing trash talkin a case you haven’t even seen in real life?  the only two people here who sound like they’ve seen it can’t say nuff about um.  whatever.  my dad got a rhinoskin for his treo and loved the beans out of it.  once i get that mail in rebate for my hard drive i’m totally blowing it all on one of these for my nano.  why?  because i listen to people who don’t talk out of their asses.

Posted by wtf guys on January 19, 2006 at 3:21 PM (CST)

A big thank you to you all for your feedback.

I was trying not to trash talk - I just wanted to make other people aware of what I had read else where.

My goal was to obtain more information about this product from people with hands on experience - which I got in abundance thanks to “Insecure Sober”.

Now I can’t decide between the Rhinoskin, Podsplus, or Agent18 - they all seem like really good cases…

Posted by Nik on January 19, 2006 at 4:20 PM (CST)

this case looks quite good. Maybe it’s just the internet in general, but people are so quick to slag off stuff they haven’t even seen.

Inscure Sober ... thanks for your photos. Can you explain how the plastic and aliminium bits clip together, and is the connection secure.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on January 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM (CST)

I think insecuresober’s pictures make it look really good.  One question: What’s up with the hole on the bottom-back area - extending from the dock-connector opening all of the way to the back of the case?

Posted by Ryan on January 19, 2006 at 8:30 PM (CST)

I like it… and I’d consider it if it weren’t for the price. It’s a bit expensive in contrast to similar cases on the market (without a logo smack on the front)

Posted by blah on January 19, 2006 at 10:19 PM (CST)

I’ve been using an iSee clear case from Contour (http://www.contourcase.com) for my 30 GB Video iPod, and it works pretty well. It’s only $25, made of polycarbonate, and provides great protection. Comes with a clip too. My only complaint is that the case itself eventually will become scratched unless you keep IT in another case. Still, better I scratch up a $25 case than a $300 iPod…
-=-Ron-=-

Posted by Ron Evry on January 20, 2006 at 11:57 AM (CST)

Shameless self promotion alert!

Posted by boilerjay on January 20, 2006 at 2:26 PM (CST)

Not that it isn’t obvious or anything.

I actually like the design of the case and would consider buying one if it weren’t for the HUGE logo smack dab in the middle of the case.  Just looks tacky.

Posted by boilerjay on January 20, 2006 at 2:42 PM (CST)

They look coolio!

Posted by ipoder555 on January 20, 2006 at 7:17 PM (CST)

I don’t see the point of this case at all.  It should be like the previous hardcases which are all aluminum.  This does not fit my idea of a hardcase at all since it is not protective enough.  I need something I can toss in my laptop bag and travel with.

Posted by Terry Thiel on January 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM (CST)

I bought this case about a month ago.  It’s solid and secure and my black iPod does look nice through the clear plastic.  However, I would not recomomend it.  The case, itself, has scratched my iPod’s screen and click wheel.

Posted by jfredrick on January 25, 2006 at 6:48 PM (CST)

I have this case.  It is OK but the front scratches REALLY easily to the point where I am already looking for another case. Because the click wheel is exposed and the top is exposed I also tend to get crap in front of the screen which is annoying.  I needed a case quickly so this is what I bought I should have shopped around.

Posted by tbever on January 29, 2006 at 4:31 PM (CST)

I agree with jfredrick, I bought one of these RhinoSkins 2 weeks ago.  I used it twice, and now my screen is scratched from putting the case on & taking it off! I bought this to protect my $300 Video iPod & it ruined it instead!

Posted by Robert Morgan on February 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >