RichardSolo debuts Backup Battery for iPhone, iPod | iLounge News

RichardSolo debuts Backup Battery for iPhone, iPod

image

RichardSolo, the new company by The Sharper Image founder Richard Thalheimer, has introduced its new Backup Battery for iPhone/iPod. The compact battery connects to the iPod and iPhone via 30-pin connector, and features a lightweight black aluminum case with LED status lights. According to the company, the 1200 mAh lithium-ion battery can take hundreds of charges and can provide up to double the usage time of the iPhone or iPod’s built-in battery. Other features include automatic on/off charging technology to prevent overcharging, a mini-USB port for charging both the Backup Battery and the device at the same time, an included retractable USB charging cable and AC wall charger, and Made for iPod and Works with iPhone certification. “I’ve spent my entire career researching electronics and discovering the best new gadgets,” said Thalheimer. “I’ve never been more excited about a new product. Not only does it look great, but it also functions intuitively and quickly to charge an iPhone on the go. Most importantly, it is the most powerful pocket-sized unit you can buy.” The RichardSolo Backup Battery for iPhone/iPod is available now and sells for $50.

« Myvu ships Crystal, Shades video eyewear

Napster launches DRM-free MP3 store »

Comments

Um, that is one totally ridiculous marketing quote you’ve included.  A much better design would be for the battery pack to clamp onto the back of the iPhone, with a hook at the bottom with the iPod connector.  This fixes three things: it doesn’t look ridiculous holding the iPhone to your head, it no long is trivial to break either the connector on the battery or [even worse] the connector in your iPhone and you won’t have to tape your business card over the in-your-face branding.

Posted by dave on May 20, 2008 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

I appreciate your thought, but actually it is not correct. Apple will only approve backup batteries that do not cover the back of the phone. Apple told me that covering the back would block the phone antenna and degrade reception, and therefore they will not certify them in their program.

So, you will only see the “Works with iPhone” logo on this product. You will not see the logo certification on batteries that wrap the back.

As for the likelihood of breaking the connectors, in actual use you will see this never is a problem.

Posted by Richard Thalheimer on May 20, 2008 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Seems like a fairly decend product, however after reading the complete web site twice from top to bottom…There is NO usage times, none whatsoever.  Granted users will use their gadgets in various ways as they do with any iPod or iPhone but at least a minimum battery usage time is posted.  Not one second or estimate is listed on the web site.  Also, 300 complete charges is not much for a $50 Battery.  I think that at this time, until more info is posted on the web site that I will stay with my iPowerRush

Nice design though!

Posted by SFC @rcher on May 20, 2008 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

What do you mean? The RichardSolo website seems to clearly state that it gives “up to double” the usage. I get about 6 hours of steady usage. As for the 300 charges, I have noticed that that’s what Apple says on their website for the iPhone, as well. Though they point out that a charge means a complete discharge cycle. They even explain that 3 partial charges can be equal to one full charge. So the 300 charges could be several years, I guess.

Posted by Eve Noelani on May 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

When someone will finally THINK and create a Batery Backup that have an extra dock connection input? My problem is simple; I need to record more with my iTalk (it’s simple SUCKS battery), and a mini USB port, even being able to charge both iPod and iBatery, dont let me plug in another gadget. And if I want to use iRadio? And if I want to use ANY dock connected periferic? What’s the “great” value for it if it’s use the only usefull port iPod have without give it a sequence?

Posted by PedroGama on May 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

What’s the point of designing a device that connects the backup battery but in doing so blocks the iPod Nano’s earphone connection—located at the bottom of Nano—so you can’t listen to your Nano while it is charging??!!

Posted by DonJon on May 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

I would like to comment on my RichardSolo Backup Battery experience.  I am 100 satisfied!  I used it on my original iPhone and now with the 3G version.  I carry it for backup purposes and it has helped me on numerous late afternoons when the iPhone shows low battery levels and I have an evening ahead nowhere near a charge outlet. There are many backup battery solutions showing up as the iPhone gains in popularity. I have tried a few. None have equalled the RichardSolo in quality and ease of use. I highly recommend this one.

Posted by Reed Keely on July 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM (PDT)