Ridax offering iPhone 3G Charge Converter | iLounge News

Ridax offering iPhone 3G Charge Converter

image

Ridax, a company that sells various iPod Dock Connector accessories, has begun taking pre-orders for its iPhone 3G Charge Converter. The small accessory, the design of which is still being finished, will allow iPhone 3G owners to use older iPod and iPhone charging accessories that are currently incompatible with the 3G to charge the device by converting the power stream to suit the iPhone 3G. It will feature both male and female connectors, as well as a mini USB connector on the side to provide a way to charge the device when connected to a non-charging, Dock Connector-equipped accessory, and will also function as a short Dock extender. Ridax’s iPhone 3G Charge Converter will be available in September for $40; those who want the device sooner can pre-order a $45 “bare” version which will ship in August, followed by the plastic cover which will arrive in September. There is no guarantee that the converter will be safe to use with all accessories, so use caution in ordering.

« Apple warns of near-term iPod shortages

Noreve rolls out three cases for iPhone 3G »

Comments

Good idea but why wouldn’t you just take the same money and buy a brand new charger? Perhaps I am missing something?

Posted by Abbi Vakil on July 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

Forty dollars? Shouldn’t this accessory cost about five to ten dollars max? I’ll just get another car charger to replace my old one, thanks anyway. Good luck selling them at that price.

Posted by Surya on July 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

the Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod (model 33368) works with the 3G and allows dock connector access. works great with in-dash decks that can no longer charge the 3G.

Posted by ethan on July 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

For plain car chargers, yes I agree just buy another. But those of us who have dropped between $200 - $500 for an interface unit for our auto which allows us to control the iphone, or ipod, plus charge it, this is a much cheaper solution.

My factory nissan interface unit still plays and controls the phone, but charging has been killed. I would quickly pay $40 for this instead of $250 to replace the unit.

Posted by Greg on July 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

Of course if you only have a simple car charging adapter this solution is nothing for you.  This solution is for those that has some kind of equipment that is not so easily and cheaply replaced.  Many cars come with ready iPod integration kits, and you don’t go and buy a new car, just because you have got an iPhone 3g?  At least not most people…  There are many speaker systems as well…

Then it can be used with those FM transmitters that are pure FM transmitters and does not provide charging (or at least not correct charging).  If it previously provided charging, it will convert the charging to suit the 3g.  On the other hand, if it did not even provide charging before, but was a FM transmitter only, then you can put this device in between and then add a USB charger at the side and thus have both the FM transmitter connected and power the iPod/iPhone at the same time.  This works with ordinary iPods as well and is not limited to the 3g.

Posted by Mikael on July 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

Hah, I had just ordered the parts from them to make a cable that does the same thing.

Posted by Patrick McCarron on July 30, 2008 at 5:46 PM (CDT)

if this will make my Iphone 3g compatible with all my Ipod speaker systems (I have 3 of them, one at work Altec, and two at home I-Station and Ihome) it is well worth it, otherwise I would have to buy new speakers for Iphone.

Posted by David on July 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

This is (unless I’m missing something) purely taking advantage of those that will have to buy a device like this for various reasons.
I for the life of me can’t see how this piece justifies it’s pricetag?

That to me is the equivalent of charging $10 for a bottle of water at a summer swap meet.

Scott

Posted by scottb on July 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM (CDT)

I totally agree, this is too expensive!! I have a car adapter that obviously is too expensive to replace but I think this is too much. The Kingston 4 in 1 Car Charger for iPod is a much better option, you can get it from Amazon for like $30 and it is both a USB charger and the adapter, and btw, it is available now, not until September. Good luck selling these things, I’ll keep my Kingston charger.

Posted by Jose G on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM (CDT)

Posted by Chris on July 31, 2008 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

Adaptor too expensive or not, why isn’t Apple being brought to task on this. Why the hell has the charging circuit changed? To sell another round of junk accessories for there ‘partners’?

I’m pissed at Apple. This is the sort of crap Nokia used to do to me with their ever changing dock connector…

Posted by iain on July 31, 2008 at 7:47 PM (CDT)

yeah you know cause apple didnt tell accessory makers to STOP USING FIREWIRE INTERFACES for iPods years ago with the release of the 5th generation iPod. these manufacturers are to blame for continuing to use this as a cheap solution rather than putting a cheap 12 to 5 volt converter in the equipment.

just retarded if you ask me

and just for the record, while it would have been absolutely simple to put this in the charging equipment it is a piece that has taken up a lot of space inside the iPod for many years and something that apple really needed to get rid of sooner or later as designs became more compact.

Posted by darth_rob on August 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM (CDT)

“I dropped $1,600 on a new head unit (Nav, bluetooth, etc.) for my car that charged and allowed control of my original iPhone.  Now that I have an iPhone 3G, it doesn’t charge anymore.  I would gladly pay $40 to get that back.

Posted by Chris on July 31, 2008 at 9:04 AM (PDT)”

Ha, Gotcha!! that’s exactly what the companies are counting on!!

And that’s why Apple is messing with the port with every model so you’ll have to spend some more money with each upgrade…. and in the mean time they simply sit and collect a brand new batch of “Certification Royalties”...... and even that is just a “Maybe” according to the non-sense that’s going o right now.

I would except a company like Apple do much better than this…. but instead… they simply insist on screwing with their customers to squeeze more dough outta them… And what’s surprising is that you’re happy that you’ll “only” have to spend an extra $40 more to get the stuff working again…..

Why are people sooooo STUPID!?

Posted by D on August 3, 2008 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

Why Apple changed the charging system is strictly technical. They switched to a better chip that does the battery management (switching between different power sources), but this chip needs a low voltage on the middle pins in order to start charching, something a standard USB connection on a PC always does for detecting what exactly is attached. Standard USB-chargers do not provide this, nor do most of the aftermarket car-kits.

I have an aftermarket ipod kit installed in my car and I have the same problem, but the connector is not standardised, nor did Apple ever publish any specifications regarding the connections. Apple never committed itself to sticking with the original, so I don’t really know why you blame them. Almost all aftermarket stuff is reverse engineered. If they had changed the connector entirely, would it have been better? I’m just glad I can have a sollution for the problem, and playback still works fine in my car (with the downside of draining my battery).

Posted by BM on August 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM (CDT)

40 bucks is a rip off, plain and simple.  They know it and so should every smart consumer.

Wait until a company that makes better products (these guys look like they work out of a garage judging by the web site) and aren’t desperate to sell (they will send the circuitry, only, early…).

I have no problem waiting simply so I can give my money to a more reasonable company.

Posted by Keith on August 8, 2008 at 1:23 AM (CDT)

Hmmm… just two connectors a case and two resistors!

Posted by Mark on August 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

Opps sorry ... three resistors.. maybe..

Posted by Mark on August 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

Mark:  Good luck making an adapter like this with whatever amount of resistors…  Why do people believe everything can be made with resistors?

Posted by Mikael on August 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

Almost everyone here seems to missing the economics in this discussion.  Large scale accessory manufacturers buy dock connectors, electrical components, and plastic case parts in bulk and then market the assembled products to a large audience. Ridax seems to generally cater to a much smaller audience, thus their component costs are greater.  I would not be surprised if it cost them $20-25 in materials and manufacturing.  Then there is order handling, packaging, and shipping.  There is also PayPal billing fees.  When it all adds up I doubt they are making a handsome profit by any stretch.

Frankly, I’m just glad someone decided to step up and make a nice compact product that will do exactly what I need.  Rather than throw away my iGroove SXTs and my firewire charging cables, I can continue to use them on all current and likely several future generations of iPod devices.  (longer than that, who knows… )

Posted by David Bryson on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

I own three bose sound docks, I will be buying atleast one of these to start.  It may be over priced, but that is the best thing about capitalism.  If you think you can sell more at a lower price, go ahead and do it.  I dare you.  This would be worth more that $40 for me.

So if you do not like it, don’t buy it and shut up.  I really want one.

Posted by Andrew Gray on September 21, 2008 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >