Rogers Wireless to offer iPhone in Canada | iLounge News

Rogers Wireless to offer iPhone in Canada

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 25, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

image

Rogers Wireless has confirmed that it will be the exclusive carrier for Apple’s iPhone in Canada. “Rogers is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada as soon as possible and will be the exclusive provider of the iPhone in Canada,” the company said this week in a customer service email. Rogers Wireless is the largest Canadian wireless communications service provider. An exact date and service pricing were not mentioned. Apple is set to release the iPhone in the U.S. in June.

« iPhone demand will challenge suppliers

Cingular to give away 18 months of iPhone service? »

Comments

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Phewww, now I don’t have to change my number or wireless provider.  I wonder if we’ll get it near the same time as the US or shortly thereafter.

Posted by canadan on January 25, 2007 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

Forgive my ignorance here but why does there have to be an exclusive provider? What is Apple thinking? Perhaps I can understand the situation in the USA but for non-US countries I don’t see the point.

Mind you many people will buy the iPhone simply to use it as an iPod but still…

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on January 25, 2007 at 8:31 PM (PDT)

Well Rogers is the only GSM provider in canada so that’s why there is only one.

Posted by Bilbo on January 25, 2007 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

I’m quite intrigued by this and how its going to be available in the UK market. Over here its fairly rare that you pay for the phone, You simply take out a contract (anything lasting from 12-24 months) and the phone comes free, you just pay a monthly fee for your ‘Free’ minutes and texts anything over that you pay for. Its interests me to see how this will be done with the iPhone, as most people are not used to paying an actual price for the handset.

I would imagine some sort of exclusivity for the iPhone to one network possibly Vodafone, 02 or T-mobile, but they usually only have a 6 month period then the phone is usualy avaible on other networks. Time will tell on what sort of business plan is destined for us in the UK!

Posted by Adam Gates on January 26, 2007 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

Correction. Fido is another carrier in Canada that offers GSM network.

Posted by wuju on January 26, 2007 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Uh, Fido merged with Rogers.

Posted by Nobody on January 26, 2007 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

Fido didn’t exactly ‘merge’ with Rogers, Rogers ate them for breakfast.

Posted by JoeShmoe on January 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

I’m SO excited by this news. Figured it would be coming eventually, but I’m surprised to see it so soon.  Too bad I have two-and-a-half years left in a contract with another, non-GSM, carrier.  This might be the first time that I have to buy my way out of a contract . . . especially if we will finally be able to move our cell phone numbers between carriers!

Posted by oilseeker on January 26, 2007 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

Robers

Posted by haille on January 27, 2007 at 6:24 PM (PDT)