Roxio offers Crunch video converter for Apple TV, iPod, iPhone | iLounge News

Roxio offers Crunch video converter for Apple TV, iPod, iPhone

image

Roxio this week will announce Crunch, a new Mac application that converts videos for playback on the Apple TV, iPod, and iPhone. Crunch includes support for both native QuickTime file formats including DV, AVI, MOV, and non-QuickTime file formats including DivX, MPEG-2 and DVD-Video. Roxio said the software will also convert DVDs and VIDEO_TS folders, and offers multiple optimized MPEG-4 and H.264 settings.

“With award winning technology from the leader in digital media, Roxio Crunch makes taking your video in to the living room or the palm of your hands fast and simple,” the company said in documents provided to iLounge. “Roxio Crunch is a one-stop shop for all of your video conversion needs. Batch export will make your life even simpler—converted video will be automatically added to iTunes for syncing.” Roxio’s site has yet to be updated with information on Crunch, and pricing and availability were not provided. View screenshots below.

image

image

image

« Steve Jobs pens update on Apple’s environmental policy

Altec Lansing inMotion iMV712 ‘mini-theater system’ ready »

Comments

hm, looks just like Toast. i like how they’re consistent with their interfaces. this probably won’t entice me away from using VisualHub for my converting needs, but it’ll be interesting to see their final price and feature set.

Posted by Toxic Boy on May 2, 2007 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Why are these conversion programs so limited for Windows?

Posted by jbt87 on May 2, 2007 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

Roxio…award-winning technology? Well, not all awards designate good things, I suppose.

Certainly would go to cover all those CD-Rs in our office archives burned using Roxio and, prior to that, Adaptec foulware over the past several years that no longer read. And to think we nearly tossed all those zip disks that were the source material for those CD-Rs…facing the Click of Death would be infinitely better than what “award-winning” Roxio had to offer up with their silver coffee coasters.

Yeah, Roxio rocks…NOT.

Posted by flatline response on May 2, 2007 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

flatline response:
Have you found it to be any different with any other vendor’s package?  I’d be surprised if the software is at fault, rather than the nature/quality of the CD-R blanks.  I’ve had CD-R’s go bad on me because of labels - the labels shrink as they dry out and warp the CD just enough to make it unreadable! smile

Posted by WhoCares on May 2, 2007 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

I would be interested to see if this rips dvds simply and well.  I currently use handbrake which does a great job but has limitations as well.

Posted by Jeremy on May 2, 2007 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

would be nice if they offered conversion options for products other than ones by apple i.e. cowon’s d2.  i think most mac users already have a solution for the ipod conversion by now :\

Posted by specialk on May 2, 2007 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the screenshots iLounge.  I’m curious and if any of you know would love to hear from you- is there a format that will work good across the gamut of formats?  I mean, do I have to have one DVD ripped in potentially 3 different formats so that it will look right on each or is there a solution?

Posted by aaron on May 2, 2007 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

How does this differ from Popcorn2 by Roxio, Looks pretty much the same to me.

Posted by Stephen on May 2, 2007 at 7:20 PM (PDT)

Too simple. Does it do QuickTime-compatible anamorphic? Handbrake can. It’s had a major upgrade and I wouldn’t use anything else.

Posted by Japester on May 2, 2007 at 8:03 PM (PDT)

Have you found it to be any different with any other vendor’s package?

So far I’ve had significantly better luck since switching to Nero, which I use for our home computers. At least with them I haven’t had the experience of burning two or three coasters in a row, or have a disc that worked six or seven months ago with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of billed man-hours backed up on it suddenly become unreadable, as we’ve had with Roxio burning products at the office. Perhaps it’s the CD media, but I use the cheapest, most generic stuff at home, and so far none of Nero burns have gone bad over time (knock wood). Even when I’ve used the same blank name-brand discs brought home from work, I’ve had no problems to date with Nero.

Posted by flatline response on May 3, 2007 at 4:25 AM (PDT)

Is this a subset of Toast 8? And I don’t see much difference between Popcorn and Crunch.

Posted by Cygnus X-1 on May 3, 2007 at 7:53 PM (PDT)