Russian films being sold as apps without consent
A number of popular Russian films from the Soviet era are being sold as apps without the consent of the copyright holders, according to a new report. The BBC reports that films such as Gentlemen of Fortune, Assa, The Diamond Arm, Kin-dza-dza and Cheburashka are being sold on the App Store, despite the lack of consent from copyright holders Mosfilm, a Russian film studio, and the Joint State Film Collection (Obyedinennaya Gosudarstvennaya Kinocollectsia). “It is illegal to present our films as applications either in iTunes or on any other internet site. It is permitted only on our own Mosfilm site”, Svetlana Pyleva, Mosfilm’s deputy director-general, told bbcrussian.com. “The only official internet site where you can watch legal Mosfilm content is the Mosfilm site. There are no third parties which we have permitted to use our content.” She added that the studio was preparing to submit a claim to Apple.
Ekaterina Toropova, press-secretary of the Joint State Film Collection (Obyedinennaya Gosudarstvennaya Kinocollectsia), said it had not given permission or issued licenses for such apps, either. “The [Joint State Film Collection] retains all exclusive rights”, she said. “We’ll try to get in touch with the developers. It is possible that they obtained licenses from someone else and they themselves are in the dark as they are sure that they sell a legitimate product. We’ll explain to them that they are wrong.” Apple intends to investigate the apps, according to spokesperson Christine Monaghan, who added, “we understand the importance of protecting intellectual property and when we receive complaints we respond promptly and appropriately.”
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?