Samsung backs down from potential lawsuit by Apple, redesigns iPod clone | iLounge News

Samsung backs down from potential lawsuit by Apple, redesigns iPod clone

pic MacMinute via BusinessWeek reports that Apple had ‘threatened to sue’ Samsung over the physical similarity of its Yepp YP-900 MP3 player to the iPod. Samsung has backed down from the threat and will be redesigning the Yepp player before releasing it to the public.

“The Korean company had planned to release its well-reviewed Yepp YP-900 hard-drive digital-music player in May but has delayed it until fall because Apple threatened to sue, claiming the device looked too similar to its hot iPod. Samsung execs say the Yepp will be redesigned.”

« Dell delays iPod shipping

iPod 20GB for $269 shipped after rebate »

Comments

it dose look quite abit like the ipod
of course we all no it aint better

Posted by Phill in Texas on June 11, 2003 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

I don’t think it looks too much like an ipod. I mean, it sure doesn’t have the “simlicity” part down.

The only real similarity is the scroll wheel, but IMO it isn’t similar enough to cause a lawsuit from apple.

Posted by DimJim on June 11, 2003 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

oops… forgot the p in simplicity. smile

Posted by DimJim on June 11, 2003 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

The picture doesn’t show the old design. The old design was all white like the ipod. I’m not sure about the details but it looked very similar. I think it might use the same hard drive too.

Posted by dokoroko on June 11, 2003 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

i would buy this before i would buy another ipod. i still feel like an idiot for shelling out for my 10gb in feb, only to have the price cut in half now… My forray into apple has been dissapointing with the lack of firmware updates as well.

Posted by don on June 11, 2003 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Don, don’t you know that’s the way of consumer electronics?  As soon as you buy it, something better comes along at a lower price.  It never fails.  Murphy’s Law and all that.  When I bought my 27” Flat Screen Sony TV (not plasma or high definition or anything, just a true flat screen television) 4 years ago, it was over $700… within months the were less than $500… now… now I don’t even bother to look, it’s so upsetting.

And, here’s the original design for the Yepp

Posted by Rance on June 12, 2003 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

i feel particularly stung in this case though, apple could have announced intentions of releasing a new ipod. Or they could continue to support the old ipod. All I really want is to be able to make playlists on the go. I love everything else about my ipod but its lack of this feature, and sadly it is enough to make me not really like my ipod all that much.

Posted by don on June 12, 2003 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

Well. I clicked on that link and viewed it. It is white, but there isn’t a scroll wheel. I think Apple is trying to keep other companies from using white…haha. I like Apple but that’s rather bullyish.

Posted by Mr.K on June 13, 2003 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Is it just me, or do the two samsung models not look much like the iPod.  I’ll all for originality, but I don’t think Apple has much of a case.

Look at cd players, walkmans, computers.  They all look pretty much the same, and they’re not all sueing one another.

Posted by asdf on June 13, 2003 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

I agree.

Posted by Mr.K on June 13, 2003 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

really, the ipod isnt that distintive looking its a small rectangle, with a smaller rectangle screen and a wheel. i think it looks neat because of the shiny chrome, and i bought one because it is so small, but i wouldnt say that the design of the ipod is anything above ‘good idea’..

Posted by don on June 13, 2003 at 9:00 PM (PDT)

maybe samsung is trying to make some news? ipod are defintaly ‘thee’ mp3 player, so if youre rumored to have one that is so similar that it might be infringing on copyrights (and you know that samsungs will be several hundred cheaper..) youre sure to turn a few heads..,,

if i could take my ipod back and get a samsung i would. for me its all about that customer support - apple, add on-the-fly playlists!

Posted by don on June 13, 2003 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

so… apple is forbidding other companies from using a white case for their product?  because it sure as heck isn’t the control pad!  maybe it’s the LCD screen that’s too close to the ipod design!

http://www.sclub.de/clubdata/aktionen/yepp.jpg (thanks rance)

maybe whatever’s left of the folks @ diamond should sue Samsung as well for copying their control pad concept.

apple has no case, and is just trying to play the bully.  sounds familiar, anyone remember the fiasco apple had dealing with it’s clone manufacturers?

Posted by al on June 14, 2003 at 12:39 AM (PDT)