Sandisk becomes No. 2 MP3 player maker in U.S. | iLounge News

Sandisk becomes No. 2 MP3 player maker in U.S.

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 8, 2006
News Categories: Digital Media

imageFlash memory card company SanDisk has quietly become the No. 2 seller of digital music players in America. “We want to be a strong No. 2 in the MP3 space,” said Eric Bone, SanDisk’s director of consumer product marketing. “There are people who, no matter what, will buy an iPod. All I want is for people to think there is an alternative.”

SanDisk, which began selling MP3 players in November 2004, used its strong presence at retailers across the U.S. to sell one million players during the recent holiday quarter. The company also reported a record $2.3 billion in revenues for 2005. “We already have the channels. We have the brand,” SanDisk Chief Executive Eli Harari said. “We are not Apple. We are not an iPod. But we have a highly respected brand.”

Through key patent holdings and a partnership with Toshiba, SanDisk gets its own source of flash chips at wholesale prices, allowing the company to sells its players at lower prices than other companies. SanDisk’s strategy is to sell MP3 players to those “beyond the middle class,” Harari said. “Our passion is to bring the cost of these devices down. It’s basically about creating new markets in which people can afford a product.”

The company’s current line of players range in price from $79 to $149 with capacities from 256MB to 2GB. SanDisk will release its new Sansa line next week, which consists of 2GB, 4GB and 6GB players and prices from $120 to $300. The high end model, the Sansa e200, will feature an iPod nano-like design, 1.8” TFT color screen, video and image playback, and a replaceable lithium ion battery. The player also supports Rhapsody, Napster and Yahoo Music.

« Analysts see iPod speakers, iPhone in Apple’s future

Hurricane Katrina charity EP available at iTMS »

Comments

This is a nice looking player. I have a feeling that this will set the stage for a 6 or 8GB Nano to emerge soon. Also, what I like about Scandisk is the “Un Creative” attitude they are taking towards cometing with Apple. No attitude or calling out. Just concentrating on making the best product they can. Competition is always good for the soul and maybe there might be some coming for Apple. Not a bad thing in my opinion. The only winners will be the consumer.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on February 9, 2006 at 1:19 AM (PDT)

finally, a replaceable battery…
hurray…
hopefully, apple will follow soon…

Posted by iJay on February 9, 2006 at 2:09 AM (PDT)

Congrats Sandisk. Becoming #2 in the iPod market with so much competition is hard work. They are clearly doing something right over there.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on February 9, 2006 at 2:17 AM (PDT)

I like it. I looks a lot better than anything the ###-hats over at Creative has ever crapped out.

Posted by nosedive51 on February 9, 2006 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

Yeah, that player is pretty nice. I do like my ipod, but if iPod never existed, that thing would probably be mine. There is just something about Jon Ives’ iPod designs that I like; the form-follows-function aesthetic i guess. This ScanDisk player looks like a GADGET, the ipod is more of a TOOL. Less glitz and glamour. Plain. White. Geometrics. No fancy lights…

ok, i’m starting to ramble… sorry

Posted by Mondayne on February 9, 2006 at 4:31 AM (PDT)

Create a product and have it speak for itself without name calling or frivolous lawsuits or ridiculous claims. See? Sometimes the right approach just works.

I HAVE seen these mp3 players floating around, and at some point, considered buying one. Then I remembered I already HAVE an iPod. Next time, maybe? You never know…

You guys at Creative taking notes?

Posted by ahMEmon on February 9, 2006 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

I think this looks great, it doesn’t seemt to glitzy to me, just classy. For me the iPod design has gotten old, and since the iPods is not durable anything with style and a scratchless casing is great in my books. I must admit I was never attracted to the nano, but damn, this thing looks good. Good going Sandisk.

Posted by Echid on February 9, 2006 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Sandisk - Snapple of the gadget world!

Posted by Moe on February 9, 2006 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Sandisk…I suppose it’s great that you’re doing good in the DAP marketplace (nice-looking player, actually). Now how about CONCENTRATING on making your hi-cap ULTRA II CF cards better so they don’t crap out so easily?

Everyone WARNED me that I should’ve bought Lexar…(sigh)

Posted by flatline response on February 9, 2006 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Wow. Calm, quiet quotes from the leaders of the company regarding their products and their placement versus Apple. I’m tempted to buy one of their players just to reward them for not being—-holes.

Posted by dv on February 9, 2006 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

Hmm, doesn’t that wheel look like it would work like the Click wheel?

Doesn’t look like the click wheel but looks like the functions are set in the same places.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on February 9, 2006 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

Good for you Sandisk. I’ve always thought they were a great company.

Posted by Rene on February 9, 2006 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

I can respect these guys humble attitude. They’re not claiming to be the best (ala Creative). I may even consider the above player when it comes out, though I love my iPod.

I am not surprise they’re #2, their player where all over Best Buy during the holidays.

Posted by dave95 on February 10, 2006 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Now THIS is what Creative should be doing, bringing out quality products…....without all the anti-apple hype.  If I didn’t have an iPod , or even my mini…..I’d be enjoying one of these

Posted by Huskerz85 on February 12, 2006 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

This is the part I like about the Sandisk: made with an advanced Titanium alloy from Liquidmetal® Technologies that is stronger than steel and highly resistant to scratches and wear.

YUMMY…. I love titanium!!! But who really cares what it’s made of?  We’re all going to just cover it up with some accessory that will protect it even further or make it waterproof.

It would be great if Apple made a iRuGgedPod.. Something waterproof and capable of aggressive use right out the box!

Posted by Jive Turkey on May 22, 2006 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

welcome to sansa nano!

i freakin love this thing.
i got a 4 gb sansa e 260 for 160$
i origonaly had a nano for about a month. brought it back to get accessories and saw the sansa. bought it love it returned my nano. video, voice, fm recorder, and cool glowy blue ring. oooooooo. i love the glowy ring.

Posted by feenan on September 13, 2006 at 1:09 PM (PDT)