SanDisk launches ‘iDon’t’ anti-iPod campaign | iLounge News

SanDisk launches ‘iDon’t’ anti-iPod campaign

image

SanDisk, the No. 2 seller of digital music players in the U.S., has drastically stepped up its efforts to take on the iPod with a new Guerrilla marketing campaign. The company’s “iDon’t” campaign, launched over the weekend, consists mainly of an anti-iPod website, but also includes paid foot soldiers at university campuses. The “iDon’t” website’s main purpose is to promote SanDisk’s Sansa e200 music player by communicating to consumers that owning an iPod is unoriginal and that iPod users are followers.

“Calling all free thinkers, contrarians, and malcontents. The time has come to rise up against the iTatorship,” the site’s manifesto reads. “To resist the monotony of white earbuds and reject the oppressive forces of cultural conformity. Now is the time to break free from restrictive formats and a single source for music. Its time for choice, for freedom, for self expression—and for independent spirits to stand up and say ‘iDon’t’. You don’t need to follow. There is now an alternative.”

The “iDon’t” website proudly links to anti-iPod websites like Cyber Rodent, Anything But iPod, and iPod’s Dirty Secret. SanDisk is also selling T-shirts and offering free downloadable posters and desktop pictures featuring artwork such as iSheep, iChimp, iFollow, iHerd, iSchackle, iDroid, and iPuppet.

The SanDisk campaign is being handled by Grey Direct, which calls itself “a world-leading direct marketing agency with a focus on maximizing return on investment.” A news entry on the site by “Eric (a.k.a. Da Sheep Herder)” reads: “This site and the iDon’t campaign are the creation of several of us renegades behind the new Sansa player, from SanDisk. And this is our playful way of saying “Enough! Yeah, we’re just fed up with the ever-expanding flock of iSheep swarming through our cities. You’ve seen them. They’re everywhere. Every bus, train and city sidewalk is a mass of white headphones. Blindly they’ve bought into the hype without ever realizing there are other mp3 players out there.”

iLounge has received at least one report of an “iDon’t” representative approaching college students on campus offering free T-shirts. An iLounger reports that he was handed a black tee featuring an illustration of a chimp wearing Apple’s popular white earbuds (shown below). “So today, when I came out of my Monday morning lecture at university, putting my earphones on I notice this girl coming up to with a T-shirt,” he says. “At first I thought she was one of those annoying survey people, but I noticed there was more of them and then when I pulled my ear phone off she said ‘It’s iDont.com!’ staring at the T-Shirt realizing that there is an ape with white earphones. She gave it to me because I have black earphones.”

SanDisk’s director of consumer product marketing, Eric Bone, said in February that the company wants to be “a strong No. 2 in the MP3 space,” adding that “there are people who, no matter what, will buy an iPod. All I want is for people to think there is an alternative.” SanDisk, which began selling digital music players in November 2004, used its weight in the flash memory industry and strong presence at American retailers to sell one million players during this past year’s holiday quarter, putting it in a distant second place to Apple.

+ Digg this story!

image

« Navio plans to ‘unlock’ iPod with DRM technology

Analyst: Q3 iPod sales could be slightly below estimates »

Comments

WoW! AwEsoMe! is thAT a new ‘ipoD’ comIng OuT SoOn. Looks ooogleeee. i rather revert back to my cd players if there was no ipods and only san disk.

Posted by BuruChaGa on May 22, 2006 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

When apple slams other companies it’s creative marketing… when another company slams apple it’s cheap.

Apple fanbois alert!

Lets face it, Apple needs competition in the mp3 market or we’ll have a “video” ipod for a few years with no improvements. It’s really sad that y’all have to take it so personally.

Posted by Victor on May 22, 2006 at 7:54 PM (CDT)

APPLE GEEKS, YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME LOL

The Sandisk campaign against the ipod is the exact same campaign that Apple is running against microsoft.  The “i’m a mac and i’m pc” campaign where the pc guy is an idiot.

If you going to judge the quality of a product by the quantitiy of its user than get rid off apple os x and go get yourself a copy of windows xp who is enjoying a 95% market share.

Apple users, you guys know what it’s like to be 2nd right? you’ve been 2nd for the last 20 years.

Posted by Mike T. on May 22, 2006 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

Mmmmmmm, iTaters…

Posted by Sean on May 22, 2006 at 8:39 PM (CDT)

SanDisk is just a crybaby who can not compete with the best.

Get outta here SanDisk! No one wants you around!

Posted by Mr. Anderson in USA on May 22, 2006 at 8:39 PM (CDT)

Let’s see.  You’re posting to an iPod enthusiast site -calling people ‘fanbois’ for debating the merits of an ad campaign -  sounds like you’re getting personal.  Let us know when you create a posting on an independantly run SanDisk enthusiast site and we’ll come over and talk turkey there.

I think the idea that Apple does this too has some validity, but since they spend more time actually promoting the merits of their product and since their products are ususally better, it just doesn’t seem like iDon’t - a thinly veiled, marketing attempt to play on people’s fears that they’ve let their guard down and are doing something -eeek - that many others are doing.  Give a moment’s thought to how this exact same campaign would be for products that you don’t feel so personally threatened about.

Posted by David on May 22, 2006 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

Well to add to some of the comments, Apple is currently running an anti-windows campaign now.  The one with the young guy (from the movie Dodgeball) playing a Mac while the other guy who resembles a chubby bill gates is Windows.  It’s obviously not as aggressive as the SanDisk campaign but it still jibes at Windows.

Frankly, I wish the other companies wouldn’t insult the intelligence of the consumers.  Calling us pirates (Real) or follower chimps (SanDisk) is no way to win me over.  Give me a good product and I’ll consider it.

Posted by DF57 on May 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM (CDT)

Apple may be running a similar campaign but at least it isn’t something as childish as what Sandisk is doing. At least Apple actually explains what their product is instead of just going, “Hey, don’t buy from Microsoft, they’re dumb.”

Posted by Bonk on May 22, 2006 at 9:06 PM (CDT)

I am a sandisk owner and I’m not an apple fanboy at all. I never buy apple products. But I do think the iDon’t campaign is dumb and it brings me shame to be seen holding a sandisk now.

Posted by Max on May 22, 2006 at 9:08 PM (CDT)

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious. Don’t confrom to them! Do what WE tell you! jeez, all they need now is Anti-Flag on the site, or better yet, NOFX. What glorious rubish.

Posted by josh on May 22, 2006 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

Let’s take a look at this: Hmm…so, all I see is SanDisk insulting iPod users. OK! Let’s not conform to Apple, let’s be free, and conform to SanDisk instead! I mean, this campaign would be nicer if it wasn’t that big of an insult to current iPod users. About 95% of the campaign seems to be “Hate iPods” and the other 5% is “Buy SanDisk!” Now let’s compare this to Apple’s current Mac campaign. Is the Windows user a complete idiot? No. Does Apple make it seem like you’re an idiot because you use Windows? No, they simply state that Mac OS has some better features, like better stability, less viruses, more user friendly, etc. All I see in SanDisk’s campaign is basically, “iPods suck! Don’t conform to Apple! Stop being such idiots! Oh and btw, buy our MP3 players!...Please?”

Posted by Nobody on May 22, 2006 at 9:20 PM (CDT)

I believe in competition too. Is true that Apple has done some “PC industry bashing” thru the years and their more recent adds are doing this .  But Apple is competing with a whole industry, Apple has always sold thru the years that the “mac” experience is a better experience then the “PC” experience. They emphasize, less viruses, better compatibility, less restarting, easy to use software out of the box.

Explain to me why the SanDisk is better?

Posted by Gian Bendana on May 22, 2006 at 9:49 PM (CDT)

First off, i love that shirt. It’s bound to become a collectors item or something. You could probably sell it on ebay for a good price. Anyway….

I hate how this campain implies that anyone who owns an ipod, is a follower. I bought my ipod after much serching for the right mp3 player, and the ipod was the best choice (the reasons why have been covered in this discussion already). I feel as if sandisc is insulting me.

Till then, ill stick with the opinion that every large company is designed soley for the purpose of making money, and nothing more. (this of course, includes apple)

PS. I REALLY want that shirt

Posted by Matt on May 22, 2006 at 10:03 PM (CDT)

I think we’ve all said about all that CAN be said, sooooo…..

This forum is officially about cookies…

I like Oreos.

Posted by Matthew on May 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

Mmmm, cookies.  i like white chocolate chip.

Posted by James on May 22, 2006 at 10:14 PM (CDT)

I believe in competition too. Is true that Apple has done some “PC industry bashing” thru the years and their more recent adds are no exception .  But Apple is competing with a whole industry(Dell,Microsoft,Sony,Adobe) since they make hardware software and OS.  They always sold thru the years that the “mac” experience is a better experience then the “PC”. They emphasize, less viruses, better compatibility, less restarting, easy to use software out of the box and a better operating system.
Why is SanDisk better? why mock only the iPod and not other players like iRiver.
Cheesy, Cheesy, Cheesy.

Posted by gbendana on May 22, 2006 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

Old fashioned chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven with a tall frosty glass of milk….  :->

Posted by freekydeeky on May 22, 2006 at 10:18 PM (CDT)

SanDisk doesn’t need to bash on any of those other companies because they sell more stuff than them.  Why not focus on going after the big fish, rather than bashing on companies that you’re already outselling?

BTW, I heart white choc macadamia nut cookies!!!

Posted by Kamz on May 22, 2006 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

Minimum System Requirements

* Windows XP
  * Windows Media Player 10+

yea it’s not restrictive in the least /sarcasm

Posted by Hell-In-A-Handbasket on May 22, 2006 at 10:47 PM (CDT)

I think it is hilarious that the second somebody bashes ANYTHING Apple the fanboys line up to comment.  I hope Sandisk does good, I am an avid iPod user and love it, but I do NOT want them getting comfortable and stop the innovation.  More competition = better products.  Period.  If they have to try and step on Apple’s toes to do that, then it will be a good wake up call.  Basically, I all want to say is - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by jegero on May 22, 2006 at 11:03 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›