Save $30 or $50 on Alpine iPod Interface | iLounge News

Save $30 or $50 on Alpine iPod Interface

Alpine is offering a $30 or $50 off promotion when purchasing the Alpine KCA-420i iPod interface module with any qualifying Alpine head unit. See website for details and rules.

“Now you can groove to your iPod and get the quality you deserve in your car! Starting now get special package savings when you purchase a KCA-420i iPod interface adapter with one of the eligible 2004 Alpine in-dash CD players at a participating Alpine dealer.”

« Griffin debuts iPod flashlight, laser pointer add-ons

DVBase Ltd. metal stand for $50 »

Comments

I picked up a KCA-420i on Wed of this week here in SD the unit is just a small box that will plug into any Alpine uniit with AI net. The part they don’t tell you is it will work with older units however, you don’t get a display. you can scan through playlists ect and hear it out of the car stereo while your Ipod charges. The unit is prety sweet.

Posted by Ric Higgins on September 24, 2004 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

Ric,
can you please specify where you bought it? I haven’t find one on Maryland. What is the model of your headunit? I have a CDA-7894 and I wasn’t sure if it’s going to work on it.

Thanks!

Posted by n0nsense on September 24, 2004 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

AUGH
I bought my head exactly a week ago, waiting for the KCA box.  Hopefully I can work something out with my stereo guy to get the bux.

Posted by Mike on September 24, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

how about giving credit to puff_daddy_58_9 from the forums for posting the deal?

Posted by Puff Daddy on September 24, 2004 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

The early versions of the Alpine system were like a head-unit with nothing other than iPod-specific controls (although I hope they were planning on adding a CD player and radio).

It seems like now they’ve taken the vice-versa approach and have maken the head-unit entirely for the generic CD/Radio audience and thrown in iPod support as a clunky afterthought.  I’m still waiting for a head-unit with a control similar to that of the click-wheel (although I’m hoping it would turn instead of having to run your finger over your dash board) which would basically emulate everything from an iPod into a perfect in-car solution.  I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to pay for this sort of set up.

The current Alpine system is pretty clunky—I tried it out at Best Buy here in Seattle, and it was less than simple to use.  I would definitely see myself getting into an accident while trying to use that thing.

You can do better, Alpine.

Posted by dethbrakr on September 24, 2004 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

I should learn to proof-read my entries.  I promise I’m a native english speaker smile

should read—
*...and have made the head-unit…

Posted by dethbrakr on September 24, 2004 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

nOnsense,
I bought it from San Diego Car Stero
858 569-0778 I got it from Stan. I hat the old 3disk changer I can’t remember the model no. but I bought a CDA 9833

Posted by Ric Higgins on September 24, 2004 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Props to Puff Daddy

Posted by Ric Higgins on September 24, 2004 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

Best Buy does not carry Alpine. You must have been confused with Circuit City. As far as clunky, who cares? That is what playlists are for. It is by far the most integrated solution out there. Others like the IceLink and Neo Audio do not display song/artist info on the head unit display.

Posted by ice9 on September 24, 2004 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

anyone know if the alpine head units can be made to work with steering wheel controls? i was thinking about the icelink since they can be used with the steering wheel controls, but i don’t know about the alpine. i am guessing not, but does anyone have a definitive answer? also, i like the icelink because you can still use the ipod, whereas i heard that the alpine will disable the ipod’s click wheel and other buttons.

Posted by andyr00 on September 24, 2004 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

I’m 99% sure their is something that will allow you to have steering wheel controls with an Alpine.  When Alpine first announced the interface, I looked into steering wheel controls and remember seeing something.

Now whether you can connect both the interface and the steering wheel control converter, I don’t know.  When Alpine pushed the interface back to the fall (and also because they hadn’t announced the specs yet like displaying song titles which is what I would’ve held out for), I opted for an icelink instead.

Posted by chinhster on September 24, 2004 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Here’s the first link I came across

Posted by chinhster on September 24, 2004 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

So, out of curiosity, will this only work with Alpine head units?  I just recently purchased a 2004 Camry Solara and I know I have an extra input on it for XM Radio.  I’m quite happy with the quality of the stereo I currently have and don’t really want to start scrapping the whole thing.

I’d have to scrap it, don’t I?  lol

Posted by Mike D on September 24, 2004 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

thanks chinhster for the answer, but it seems like the ipod interface will not work with steering wheel converter. too bad alpine does not make a formal custom converter for the steering wheel as many cars have steering wheel controls now. can’t imagine reaching for the head unit everytime i need to change a track, especially when i’m so used to the steering wheel controls now. too bad.

i know that the BMW adapter disables the ipod controls, but does the alpine do the same thing? i think by connecting the alpine and the ipod the ipod’s controls are disabled also, but i’m not quite sure.

Posted by andyr00 on September 24, 2004 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

andyr00,

The interface and the converter SHOULD BE compatible as long as you get a head unit with remote.

The SWI interface is basically a univeral remote. It converts the steering wheel buttons to IR codes. The head unit thinks you are using a wireless remote.

Posted by MEJ on September 24, 2004 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

It was Circuit City, but I know BestBuy is national (not sure about Circuit City), so I figured I’d alleviate any possible confusion.  Both are pretty major electronics stores.

Anyhow, I have the Neo iPod adapter, and it basically functions like an add-on CD changer, so it works with the steering-wheel controls provided your factory system has a CD-changer port..  Plus you can use the iPod like normal with it plugged in (both Alpine and BMW’s systems lock up the iPod into accessory mode in order to access track information).

The Neo adapter was pretty expensive and doesn’t really seem worth it once you first get it because it looks a bit home-spun, but it works exactly how it’s supposed to.

The Neo solution is a happy medium, I think.  Plus if you have a good place to do so in your vehicle, the set-up makes having an in-car dock a ver plausbile idea considering the controls are in-tact and the Neo converter charges the iPod.

Something I really like about BMW’s system is that you can make 6 “BMW-x” playlists that correspond to the 6 preset buttons on BMW stereos so you can decide or change a playlist with just one button.  But BMW doesn’t display tag information, so this is pretty much a must.  I don’t know if the BMW-x playlists can be smart playlists or not, but I assume that they could be.

It seems like such a no-brainer—I really don’t know why no companies have made a seamless integration yet :

Posted by dethbrakr on September 24, 2004 at 9:49 PM (PDT)

The Good Guys IS an authorized Alpine dealer, at least in northern California.  Got my head unit there last April and now on a 300+ waiting list for the 420i.

Posted by Ace Fury on September 26, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

FYI…

Theres a few available on eBay.  Its a little above retail $109, but apparently the extra $10 may be worth the wait.

Posted by Ted on September 26, 2004 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

The one for sale on ebay has a $20 delivery charge making the total $139 plus tax if you live in California - I can wait!

I did check Good Guys today and the units are still on back order.

Posted by Ace Fury on September 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

Ok, so let me get this straight. I buy an Alpine head unit that is compatible with this accessory, then i buy the thing that connects to the iPod, and i don’t have to listen to fuzz from my cassette tape deck ever again? How much does this all cost?!

/totalled mom’s Mercedes while changing a song on his iPod

Posted by Giefer on September 26, 2004 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >