Say hello to the new iLounge | iLounge News

Say hello to the new iLounge

Welcome to the new iLounge. Even though we’re still tweaking the many pages of the site, the first stage of our long-awaited redesign is finally live and ready for you to kick the tires. Our aim with the new look is to streamline every aspect of the site, making it faster and easier for you to find and read the content you want. Be sure to email us what you think of the sparkly fresh site, and inform us of any major issues caused by the redesign. If you’d rather not send an email, you can comment on this news story and we’ll be sure to read everything you say.

Also, keep in mind that this is only the first phase of the redesign — more sections will be getting a makeover in the coming weeks. You can look forward to the revamped iLounge forums, tips & tricks, gear guide, and hacks & mods sections. In addition, we’ll soon be launching the new myPod online helper, which will offer one-click access to the information and accessories that are related to your specific iPod model.

« Site updates continuing, comments welcomed

Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.7.3 released »

Comments

please put the gray part under the top add, into an iframe so I can block it..! :)

<3 Adblock

Back to the design, I’m lovin’ it! it’s alot cleaner then the last.

Posted by Gentleman_finn in Denmark on April 9, 2005 at 8:11 AM (CDT)

Ummm… this place has turned into a user-unfriendly ad banner nightmare.  seriously, could you fit more ads?

Posted by petro on April 9, 2005 at 8:17 AM (CDT)

Im not a big fan of the site redesign. i liked the reviews, followed by the updates box then the news, now it just seems so busy everything just seems jumbled together. all the advertising makes the site feel very claustrophobic. maybe if its possible to space it out? i liked how everything had a nice flow, and progressed the further you went into the site everything just seems tighter, sorry if im sounding to vague, but two days ago it hit me how nice and simple the site was. and now it seems so busy, i guess the only really description i could give would be to cramped.

sorry, i hope this helps, please don’t take offense. this is my first post, and i hope it is of some help… i pretty much signed up just to post about the old design being really nice… but hey, maybe this will grow on me.

Posted by something_a_miss on April 9, 2005 at 8:33 AM (CDT)

Sorry, I don’t really like the new design. I think there is to little space and that the site lacks unity. And that huge banner in the top shouldn’t be there.

Posted by KristianB on April 9, 2005 at 8:47 AM (CDT)

Guys, we appreciate the comments, and we’d love to have an ad-free site, but there is a reality of paying four full-time employees and a massive server bill. It’s not free to serve 15 million pages a month… and Jeremy, Dennis, Kirk and I would like to keep paying our rent. We eat, breathe and sleep iPodlounge. If we can’t survive from our ads, we’d have to get jobs elsewhere and could only spend a fraction of the time writing that we do now. We’re really lucky to have great advertisers that support iPodlounge and offer products that are made for iPod fans like you. Without ads, there wouldn’t be nearly as much here for you to read and enjoy, if anything at all.

Posted by Larry Angell on April 9, 2005 at 9:28 AM (CDT)

I don’t like the new design either, sorry. It’s all too tight and out of scale.
What’s with the white spaces on each side and the fixed width? Use the glory of full width and you can fit more information on the front page. It makes it easier to read and find what you want faster.

Liked the old design better..

Posted by ivc in Norway on April 9, 2005 at 9:33 AM (CDT)

at first I didn’t like the new design at all and would agree with most of the previous comments. But now i’ve eased into it and am starting to like it a lot. It just takes some time to get used to i guess.

Posted by mike7 on April 9, 2005 at 10:12 AM (CDT)

I think it is a bit to crampt, it needs to be wider. Even on a 1024*768 monitor it looks too thin.

Also note that the forum quick links don’t work correctly. The shuffle link fails completely, the photo link takes you to accessories.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on April 9, 2005 at 10:13 AM (CDT)

The site feels heavy on ads, low on actual content, based on my impression of the front page.

I thought the previous layout was ideal, full of information, organized logically by topic (reviews, articles).

For ways to cut down on your hosting bill check out Coral - NYU Dist. Network.

Good luck with the new site!

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on April 9, 2005 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

Where are the hotlinks back from the forums to the main news page?

And it looks awful, cramped, too much use of primary colours, unsubtle, garish, and too dominated by ads. It’s the antithesis of the minimalist stylishness of the iPod itself.

Posted by Jackonicko in UK on April 9, 2005 at 10:21 AM (CDT)

Yes, its very cramped in here.
I don’t have a problem with the ads, the only thing besides them being cramped is that they’re all flashing all over the place and making me nervous :P.
Another thing is, when I first came here I thought I accidentaly went to the Pacrim Technologies website. The banner should be under the top menu bar, cuz it gets confusing.

Posted by johnnyb on April 9, 2005 at 10:25 AM (CDT)

i guess it’s going to take some time to get used to the redesign…

i will say one thing, though.  the page load time is lightning fast!! :)

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on April 9, 2005 at 10:31 AM (CDT)

looks great…

can’t wait for the mypod feature :P

Posted by nwistheone in United States on April 9, 2005 at 10:37 AM (CDT)

Yeah, it’s a little bunched together and has more of a feel of a blog then a professional review site. I totally liked the layout of the last one. I’m sure the same amount of ads were there before, but now there just like BAM all over the place.

Posted by Frank Owen in Tampa, FL on April 9, 2005 at 10:41 AM (CDT)

yes - the myPod feature looks interesting, but I agree with the others, Don’t like the redesign. The old one was perfect. The ads don’t bother me at all, but I liked the three columns before. It was very logical and easy to use. This new version is not. Sorry.

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on April 9, 2005 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

I do like how the grading is at the top of the reviews now though.

Posted by Frank Owen in Tampa, FL on April 9, 2005 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

The fixed-width makes teh ad situation seem a LOT worse than it is.  Bad design idea, guys.

BTW: ExpressionEngine?  Some of the bits seem pretty familiar.  I run like 12 EE sites for various people…nice to see it running something so massive!

Posted by stark23x on April 9, 2005 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

This design is very VERY unfriendly to 800x600 screen resolution. And the ads, while essential, could be done better. I think you could cut down on the graphics a bit too.

Ah, I have to go get some asprin for the headache I got after visiting the front page.

*brain aneurysm*!!

Posted by MTVKilledusall in Hurts, Texas on April 9, 2005 at 12:01 PM (CDT)

Alot cleaner, I like most of the adds on the side instead of the top right of the site.  I know you must have the adds in order to keep this site free so good work in the arangment.  I like it.  I would rather have everything bunched together, looks alot better on my 12” iBook, than heve things stretched beyond the width of my monitor resolution.

Posted by kornchild2002 on April 9, 2005 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

where is thia mypod feature everyone is talking about?  The jury is still out on the redesign.

Posted by Moshman in USA-CA on April 9, 2005 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›