Say hello to the new iLounge | iLounge News

Say hello to the new iLounge

Welcome to the new iLounge. Even though we’re still tweaking the many pages of the site, the first stage of our long-awaited redesign is finally live and ready for you to kick the tires. Our aim with the new look is to streamline every aspect of the site, making it faster and easier for you to find and read the content you want. Be sure to email us what you think of the sparkly fresh site, and inform us of any major issues caused by the redesign. If you’d rather not send an email, you can comment on this news story and we’ll be sure to read everything you say.

Also, keep in mind that this is only the first phase of the redesign — more sections will be getting a makeover in the coming weeks. You can look forward to the revamped iLounge forums, tips & tricks, gear guide, and hacks & mods sections. In addition, we’ll soon be launching the new myPod online helper, which will offer one-click access to the information and accessories that are related to your specific iPod model.

« Site updates continuing, comments welcomed

Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.7.3 released »

Comments

Yeah, I also use adblock so I didn’t notice the ads right away.

But after I disabled adblock, I see what most of you are talking about. In the old layout, I’m sure there were just as many ads but it was less noticeable because it was a horrizontal type layout, as others have noted. Since it’s been “squished”, you can’t help but notice the “busy-ness” and “excessiveness” of all the ads because they are all confined to a small space.

In any case, it DOES load faster so that’s good. I’m looking forward to the new features as well.

Posted by rockthecasbah on April 9, 2005 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

After using it for a while, I still prefer the way it was before with the three columns in the center. It was perfect. I don’t know why it had to change? - But I would like to add my thanks for all the work you guys do. Aside from the redesign, This is a wonderful site that I recommend to everyone… Thanks!

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on April 9, 2005 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

Someone get rid of the bloody huge banner at the top. Please!

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on April 9, 2005 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

Please, please, please, bring back the old site… the design was 100 times better.  This new design is a step (a huge step) backwwards.

Posted by petro on April 9, 2005 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

Ready for me to slove this crowded problem?

ATTN: Larry

OPEN UP THE MARGINS! If you open up the margins it will spread the site out more. It’s very small as is. I have a 20” iMac and can fit 3 times the width the site currently is fitted at in my browser.

Posted by AppleFreak on April 9, 2005 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

However I do vote, BRING BACK THE OLD SITE!

Posted by AppleFreak on April 9, 2005 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

It’s just so busy. Looking at it hurts my eyes. I liked the clean, open look of the old site much better.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on April 9, 2005 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Right now the actual content of the site takes up the middle half of my screen.  I have two, fairly large, white bars on either side of the content of this site.  They really shouldn’t be there.

Also, I wish there were a few less adds.

Otherwise, I like the changes. smile

Posted by TennBikeBerk on April 9, 2005 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

I have to say I was dissapointed with the new site.  I agree with the other posters that it is cramped, but that is not my main beef.  It seems *less* user friendly, stuff is harder to find and it takes more wading throught pages to get spefic stuff.  For instance, I had to log on to post here and gone was my handy upper left corner instant log on box, and I had ot find where to log on.  It did not take that log to find it, but it was by no means an improvement over the old site.
Sorry to be harsh but it is what I believe.
*Please go back to the old site!*

Posted by ipodfreak in oregon on April 9, 2005 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

i luv the new site and those ads arent realli buggin me

Posted by crazii_philly in Oz on April 9, 2005 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

What is you guys problem? Are you paying for this site? Are you working on it day and night to keep the news items fresh? What does it matter how it looks if you get the information you need? Sheesh! You all sound like you’re stockholders. Or UI experts.

I’m not interested in their change, except that they thought enough of you complainers to improve their look and feel. I like it, BTW. They need the ads, because they sure aren’t going to get the money to operate it from you ingrates.

I’m sorry to sound like this, but not one of you said anything positive, or even offered any constructive criticism. If you’re gonna complain, then be helpful. Explain specifically what you think is wrong and some possible solutions. Don’t tear these guys down and not offer any alternatives. Oh, one person did offer the number of a cheaper ISP. Thanks a bunch. You know all about their pricing structure, about their capacity, security, and the like, right? Sheesh. Oh, and your main complaint: too many ads. Damn. I’m not even goin’ there.

Take a look at some of the other iPod websites out there and tell me about ads or look and feel. They either look like this site used to look, or are just blogs. Now don’t get me wrong, I like blogs. They are all about the content, right? If they look nice, it’s gravy. Go ahead, take a look at extremeipod, or ipod.macrumors, or maccentral or ipod-news.de for that matter. Any of them look and feel better? Have more timely news?

I know, it sounds like I work here or something. Well, I don’t. But I appreciate that these guys do, and they are taking the time to bring me interesting news articles and keep up with the burgeoning third-party iPod accessories landscape. Any of you doing that? For money?

Actually, I know why your comments sound so pithy. You all (and me) are used to getting things for free. That’s right, all Americans like free stuff! And we want it to be quality stuff, too. And we like to complain about it whether it’s free or not. Free phones. Free food. Free loans. Free music. Free movies. You know, neither communists nor terrorists invented Napster or Morpheus. We did. Because we like free stuff.

So get over yourselves and appreciate the fact that these guys thought enough of you to spruce up the site. They didn’t have to, you know. But they know how much you all like free stuff.

Let the flames begin.

Posted by Durandal on April 9, 2005 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

I still click on ipodlounge ads when I use IE, and will continue to do so to support ipodlounge (the best independent info site on the net I know).

HOWEVER, people were talking of an annoying grey bar when using adblock. adding http://www.ipodlounge.com/assets/images/adbackground05.gif to your filter file will elimitate the problem (albeit replacing it with blank white)

please run ipodlounge in IE occasionally and click the ads to support them if you feel you must disable ads. afterall, it is the ipodlounge team’s only way to continue offering a free service (and a ipodlounge open to subscribers is definitely something we never want to see)

my 2 cents worth.

Tim

Posted by t i m on April 9, 2005 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Sorry, should have added that I loved the old design (probably my fav website design around, orange mixed with white has always been my favourite colour mix) and the new design is different, but im beginning to like it.

given this, I dont really mind what colours/layout your site has, just keep up the good reporting/reviews/forum… that is after all what i (and most people) visit the site for ... the info is most important, design is secondary. keep up the good work

tim

Posted by t i m on April 9, 2005 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

I like the old design a little better.  I well aware that most folks do not like changes but I’m willing to embrace it.  I do believe things seem a bit crunched together.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on April 9, 2005 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

Durandal,

As a matter of fact I did offer constructive comments, as have some others, and there were also some positive comments as well. Please read before you attack.

Secondly, as has been pointed out already, there are not more ads than before. This is strictly an issue of a comfortable interface.

Thirdly, you said “You all sound like you’re stockholders. Or UI experts.”

Well, “UI” stands for “user interface.” We’re users, and who better to tell whether or not the interface works? The site operators obviously want to know, or else they wouldn’t have left it open to comment. I’m also a graphic designer and have plenty of experience with making designs accessible.

There are times when people make design changes that don’t improve upon what they had before. Unfortunately, in general, this seems to be one of them (although, I too, like the improvement in the review layout).

Some of you are attacking those of us who think it’s not an improvement by accusing us of not being open to change. Not all change is an improvement. Examples of that pop up every day. In the end, it’s a matter of opinion. That’s mine.

Posted by rkusa on April 9, 2005 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

rkusa

I apologized for ranting in my post. But the vast majority of posts were complaints, hence my wrath. You’re entitled to your opinion about whether or not lay persons are UI experts, but I’ve studied the matter, and even though I am by no means an expert, their interface is easy to use. Can’t say that about some others out there. And it also stands to reason that just because everyone knows how to drive a car doesn’t mean they are race car drivers or expert mechanics. No, just using an interface doesn’t make everyone experts. It takes trial and effort, and taste and style to come up with a pleasing interface. I believe they stated that they are still working on it. Give them a chance, everyone.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion. Mine’s just an opinion, too.

Posted by Durandal on April 10, 2005 at 3:38 AM (PDT)

Great job on the redesign! Much easier to read on LCD screens. All that orange text was a pain to read before you changed it.

Posted by Johnny69Mac on April 10, 2005 at 5:29 AM (PDT)

BTW - when I clicked on the Audible.com banner today - the link didn’t work. You might want to fix that.

- I thought the old design was one of the best around, Now it just looks like most other sites… too much scrolling. Before it was all there on top.

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on April 10, 2005 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

ummmm… yuck. I don’t much like this one, as I got comfy with the old one. This one doesn’t seem much improved.

I agree with the scrolling part… too much now.

:-(

Posted by umijin on April 10, 2005 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

Sorry to say it but i licked the old one better, but still a kick-###-site none the less

Posted by Denko in Den Haag on April 10, 2005 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >