Schools banning iPods to stop cheating | iLounge News

Schools banning iPods to stop cheating

Students using iPods and similar devices to cheat on exams is a growing problem, according to teachers. To combat the phenomenon, schools have begun banning the devices in the classroom. “Banning baseball caps during tests was obvious—students were writing the answers under the brim. Then, schools started banning cell phones, realizing students could text message the answers to each other. Now, schools across the country are targeting digital media players as a potential cheating device,” reports the Associated Press. “Devices including iPods and Zunes can be hidden under clothing, with just an earbud and a wire snaking behind an ear and into a shirt collar to give them away, school officials say.”

« Apple seeks more DRM-free music for iTunes Store

Analyst sees Apple offering subscriptions for games, videos »

Comments

When I was in high school CD players and cell phones were not allowed.  If they were seen, they were confiscated.  And, I whole heartedly agree with that policy.  Hell, back when I was in school, cell phones weren’t that popular yet.  And how did our parents contact us (or visa versa) in an emergency.  Oh yeah!  They called the landline in the school office.  Who ever would have though.  You don’t need an iPod or your cell phone while you’re at school.  Turn them off and leave them in your backpacks, kids.

Posted by MellowTone41 on April 28, 2007 at 4:18 PM (CDT)

I am totally for banning the use of iPods/Zunes/PDAs/Smart Phones/PSPs from schools… but not because it promotes cheating… I could care less about that.

I want to see them banned because I had to cheat the hard way; Look over a shoulder, put an open notebook on the floor, or attempt to come up with a secret code to communicate with someone else… tap pencil once for A, twice for B, three times for C, etc. (don’t lie, you know you tried it at some point too)

It was a challenge, and along the way you learned the art being discrete or you got busted. As convoluted as it sounds, the lessons you learned in how to avoid getting busted were probably more important than knowing the exact date on which the Panama Canal opened.

Now with Picture Messaging on the phone, all you need to do is send a picture of your answers across the room… where’s the challenge in that? You used to have to think out of the box to come up with a method of cheating that wouldn’t get your rear hauled down to In School Suspension .. It promoted creativity, something people seem to lack these days.

Bottom line is, while cheating didn’t help them learn the subject at hand, it did help them prepare for situations later in life where creative and quick thinking is required. These devices take that away, and the students now learn absolutely nothing.

And if that isn’t enough of a reason, the fact that all these devices promote kids to become digital cyber life having people who are absolute social retards because they go home and talk to their friends on MySpace as opposed to out trying to sneak into the local bar or strip club, should be!

Posted by FortyFour on April 28, 2007 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

This is a subject that I feel strongly about. I am currently working towards my doctorate in audiology and one of the areas that we look at is selective or divided attention. Children do not have the neurological development to selectively attend to a task (test) while exposed to noise (music). With all of the expectations put on teachers regarding these standardized test every measure should be taken to ensure that the best testing environment is in place.

And for any kids who are going to say that they learn better when they are listening to music, you are wrong. There is nothing in the literature that supports this. It is a skill that is developed over time through natural processes.

But keep on listening to your music loud and for long periods of time because you will make me a lot of money when you come to me later in life because you can not hear. (just a hint of sarcasm)

Posted by DMaC on April 28, 2007 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

DMaC, theres an exception to every rule. I listen to my iPod while doing projects, homework, and other school stuff. I have an an 86.5% average in all my classes. I also find that studying while listening to music helps me during tests.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on April 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

Soup Nazi-

This is not a rule. It is a fact. depending on your age, you might be able to study and listen to music but you might be able to better your grades with a quiet environment. 86.5% leaves a lot of room for improvement.

However, I can pretty much assure you that listening to music while you study does not actually help your test grade. The only way that it would help you is if you are able to listen to the same music while you are taking the test. Just like you would test better if you sit in the same desk in the same room as you normally sit it.

Posted by DMaC on April 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM (CDT)

Well i wear ipods in class when doing work not on tests or exams tho because i find it disrespectfulto have it on while someone behind me is trying to write an exam and might get distracted by it, in general tho nobody is going to let you have an mp3 in an lab so banning them in exams be my guest but the whole school? thats exaggerating, and i doubt that somebody will listen

Posted by Christian Gabrielsson on April 29, 2007 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

This is so stupid! How is it easier to look at an iPod than a sheet of paper, how stupid have people gotten.

Posted by kyle on April 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

I really just don’t see the big deal. First off, I agree with no cell phones. Second, there is no reason why students can’t use iPods when we are doing absolutely nothing. There are days when we get done early and end up sitting around twiddling our thumb because we can’t talk, and we can’t listen to music. I, being very into band and choir, love listening to music 24/7. All schools have to do is lock their wifi so iPods can’t connect. I’m not going to lie when I say the ban of iPods has made school very unsatisfying. I use to LOVE school but now my day is not only packed with homework, but with complete boredom. Thank you for ruining what could have easily been the greatest four years of my life.

Posted by Lexi Chard on October 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2