Scion offers iPod upgrade for entire lineup | iLounge News

Scion offers iPod upgrade for entire lineup

imageToyota announced today that its iPod-compatible Pioneer audio system upgrade is now available for its 2006 Scion xA and xB models, making Scion “the first brand to offer iPod connectivity and control across its entire lineup.”

The Pioneer AM/FM/CD stereo with iPod control provides track, artist and album information from the iPod into a one-line scrolling display on the head unit’s screen. The iPod is connected by “simply plugging the iPod into a port via a connector cable.” The iPod upgrade costs $260, which includes installation.

In May, Toyota announced that its 2006 Scion tC sports coupe was available with the iPod-ready audio system upgrade. The new xA and xB will begin arriving at Scion dealers next week.

« Odeo podcasting site opens doors, founder talks iTunes 4.9

Apple drops iPod battery replacement cost »

Comments

Does anyone know if this audio upgrade can be done for the 2005 Scions?

Posted by nakedgremlin on July 8, 2005 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

LOL! When your “entire lineup” consists of three models, it’s not that hard! Have I told you lately how much I love marketing drivel?

Posted by Birru on July 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM (CDT)

lol birru…i was going to post the exact same thing…that’s a sad statement on scions part

Posted by Jim on July 8, 2005 at 7:52 PM (CDT)

I just bought a 2006 Scion tC with the iPod stereo and when I was test driving an 05 I was told that the 05 could not be upgraded.  I would just order an 06, mine took 3 weeks to arrive.

BTW, the iPod stereo is very cool.

Posted by Glassrider on July 8, 2005 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

Is this just another “cable wangling free in the glove compartment” thing, like the BMW “upgrade”?

Posted by Bob on July 9, 2005 at 4:19 AM (CDT)

Almost a year now MINI has had ipod connections across their whole line of cars.

Posted by geno on July 9, 2005 at 2:17 PM (CDT)

@Birru

Posted by iZON in London on July 9, 2005 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

Yeah man, in the USA we have a whopping 3 choices. xA, xB, and tC.

There’s a real stigma attached to small cars here. It’s just assumed you’ll aspire to something “bigger and badder”.

Posted by Birru on July 9, 2005 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

Here is a link to what it looks like:

Posted by emphoto2003 on July 10, 2005 at 12:09 AM (CDT)

Actually the BMW upgrade is kind of cool.  True that it’s probably not worth the $250, but this is BMW we’re talking about.

It (obviously) makes the head-unit and steering-wheel controls control the iPod, but it also makes certain playlists playable by using the CD/Radio preset buttons.  You just name the playlists BMW1, BMW2, etc. and the unit plays those playlists when you press preset 1, 2, etc.  I saw it working in a friend’s Z3, and it’s pretty slick.  It sometimes takes a second to load smartplaylists, but I think that might be the fault of the iPod.

I have no idea if Toyota’s system does the same thing, but it already does more than BMW’s by displaying ID3 info.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on July 10, 2005 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

yeah I have the BMW connection in my MINI. It takes a little bit to get the hang of it. But once you do it’s pretty cool. You just set up 5 special playlists on your ipod (MINI1, MINI2, etc.).

Posted by geno on July 10, 2005 at 11:06 PM (CDT)

“Three models? In the US perhaps (which I find hard the believe) in the UK it’s more like 12+ models.”

Wait a sec…I thought the Scion brand was a North American marketing creation, just for those hip/trendy/socially dyslexic Americans who wouldn’t want to be caught dead in a fuddy-duddy Toyota, except maybe a Prius.

I’m not sure if these ‘Scions’ are sold in other markets as such, but at least two of the three U.S. Scion models are sold as Toyotas back in the motherland.

Posted by flatline response on July 11, 2005 at 12:04 AM (CDT)

“hip/trendy/socially dyslexic Americans”

I think Scion was aimed more towards the teenager market… much like the iPod.

Posted by primer on July 11, 2005 at 2:21 AM (CDT)

No doubt Scion is a marketing exercise. It’s really too bad that Toyota is killing its most fun to drive models in the US. Scion doesn’t really offer anything to fill the void either.

Posted by Birru on July 11, 2005 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

“hip/trendy/socially dyslexic Americans”

“teenager market”

Um, aren’t they one in the same? ;)

Scion’s original purpose was to get buyers when they’re young and rope them into becoming loyal to the Toyota brands.  As the kid graduates from college and enters the workforce, the Scion gives way to a Toyota-branded vehicle. As the wealth supposedly accumulates, the Toyotas give way to Lexus.  At least that was the plan.

I dunno…when I was a kid I never would’ve dreamed of driving around—let alone OWNING—such a blatant shoebox like the xB.

Posted by flatline response on July 12, 2005 at 4:39 AM (CDT)

does anyone know if the ipod cable can be “made” or one can buy an adaptor that would fit a USB input?  I have an MP3 player that is not an ipod and would love to use it in my Scion TC (06).

Posted by kevin on March 19, 2006 at 6:20 PM (CST)

Still, we all want to know if it is possible (and how much it would cost) to upgrade the sound system in a 2005 Scion car (I have an xA) to one that is iPod compatible.

Posted by Dave on September 12, 2007 at 12:14 PM (CDT)