Seagate promises 120GB iPod-ready hard drives | iLounge News

Seagate promises 120GB iPod-ready hard drives

Hard drive manufacturer Seagate plans later this year to introduce a 120GB version of its 1.8-inch drive that could end up inside future iPods. William Watkins, Seagate’s CEO, told BusinessWeek that the company will have 60GB and 120GB 1.8-inch drives ready before the end of the year. “We have this new opportunity in 1.8-inch drives, which is starting to grow for handheld video,” Watkins said. “Apple’s iPod is one, but there are a lot of people putting out handheld video devices. We did not have a drive for that business that will come in capacities of 60 and 120 GB, and so we will have one in the December quarter and we think that will be a nice little driver for us. We feel a whole lot better about things than Wall Street does right now.”

« Apple posts free iTunes video section

Sonnet drops prices on replacement iPod batteries »

Comments

It is high time the iPod sees a healthy boost in capacity.

Posted by Bad Beaver on August 15, 2006 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

Bad Beaver - I couldn’t agree more…I’d jump on a 120GB iPod without thinking twice.

Posted by redsoxnation on August 15, 2006 at 10:41 AM (CDT)

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss, i want two of them ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on August 15, 2006 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

would this make the ipod size dimensions bigger than they already are?
I hope not, but 120 and 60 Gigs is exciting

Posted by brian on August 15, 2006 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

120GB!!! cant even get my 60gb ipod full, but these hard drives are really good for PVPs

Posted by roger767 on August 15, 2006 at 11:43 AM (CDT)

I’d be a first-day orderer of a 120-GB iPod, no question about it.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on August 15, 2006 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

HOLY CRAP 120GB is enormous I have a 30GB and I could barely get 8GB worth of music but I have ten full lenght movies on it witch brings my memory left down to 11GB so i can see 120 for people who want to have a lot of movie on their iPod because each movie is about 8GB depending on their lenght a 1:30 movie is 8GB so a 2 houre movie is about   9.5GB

Posted by spencer on August 15, 2006 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

I had my 20gig full out of the box.  Ever since I’ve been shuffling around my collection between my 20gig, 2 minis, a nano, and Shuffle.  For years I’ve dreamed about 80 gigs (I didn’t buy a 60 gig photo or fifth gen because I was waiting for the sixth gen video iPod) because it seemed limitless.  120 gigs blows my mind.  I’ll buy one the day it comes out.  Just think of all the hours of music, podcasts, audiobooks, tv shows, movies, etc.  Unlimited entertainment in your pocket, nevermind 5,000 songs in your pocket.

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on August 15, 2006 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

I’ve filled my 30gb ipod already, and i’ve been planning on getting a 60gb, however the 120gb sounds nice but realistically i’m gonna upgrade to a 60gb due to the huge price the 120gb is bound to have.

should be rated at about 30,000 songs. Yikes.

Posted by Gabe on August 15, 2006 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

I know many people don’t understand, but many music collectors have well over 2,000 albums. The 120GB would be welcome for them.

As an audiophile, I would love to load up my favorites in ALAC format, as most of the iPod models have great audio decoder circuitry.

Assuming ALAC is similar in size to FLAC (come on Apple, mp3 is to AAC-protected and FLAC is to ALAC-protected! i.e., ADD FLAC!!!), I can load up about 320 albums in lossless format!!!

BRING…IT…ON!!!

Posted by m@ on August 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

120 Gb would be a brilliant upgrade for those of us with large music collections encoded at high bit rates, and DVDs converted to iPod format. I’d buy one (to add our 7 existing ipods ... )

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on August 15, 2006 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

120! Now we’re getting closer to having a portable music collection.  If you are someone in the 500-1000 CD collection range the iPod was still pretty much a big (in content) CD changer. I’m always clearing mine off and refilling it. PLUS (and this is a big plus) if you go on a long vacation and want to be able to dump your digital pix to your iPod it sucked to have to be so carefull about how much music you added to the iPod before you left.

Posted by superape on August 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

120GB is awesome!!!! that way i can buy one iPod that last’s forever cause there is sooooo much room. my 20GB is JUST about full and i have had it for 1 year! thats insane.

Posted by mike H on August 15, 2006 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

Yeah.. 120GB would be awesome. I have a 50GB music collection (growing every day. It was 4GB around December of last year), which is way to much for my 30GB iPod.

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on August 15, 2006 at 5:56 PM (CDT)

i have a 60GB iPod Video, and will Gladly jump to the 120GB

Posted by Hell-In-A-Handbasket on August 15, 2006 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

I’d be all over a 120 gigger like stink on a bug!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on August 15, 2006 at 11:55 PM (CDT)

m@, spot on. I have almost 190GB of music in ALAC, and I would love to have more than half of it with me.

Posted by Bad Beaver on August 16, 2006 at 4:13 AM (CDT)

i would do anything for the 120GB. as being a dj i have well over 17 000 songs and its annoying that i can not fit it all on my 60gb video ipod. also i had to delete my videos because they dont fit! so i would have all my muisc and more movies on there!

and for people who dont have that much music can have this ipod for life and try to fill it.

Posted by arsenijcz on August 16, 2006 at 4:39 AM (CDT)

“would this make the ipod size dimensions bigger than they already are?
I hope not, but 120 and 60 Gigs is exciting”

The drives aren’t any larger, the dimensions would only change if they decided to put a bigger battery in or something.

Posted by Tim on August 16, 2006 at 8:30 AM (CDT)

120 Gigs is defenitely a start! There always seems to be never enough HD space around. But I neeed more so I can store my whole collection and preferably in a near loss less quality!  120 Gigs would probably be an incentive for me to switch from photo to the new iPod.

I really, really hope that Apple makes a 120 available for for the next gen iPod. Just have the nextgen iPod avaiblable in 80 and 120 gigs STEVE J.!!!

Last but not least I also hope the manufacturors - like Seagate - will continue their developments and will make us happy with even larger capacity harddrives!

Posted by I. on August 16, 2006 at 8:58 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >