Seagate promises 120GB iPod-ready hard drives | iLounge News

Seagate promises 120GB iPod-ready hard drives

Hard drive manufacturer Seagate plans later this year to introduce a 120GB version of its 1.8-inch drive that could end up inside future iPods. William Watkins, Seagate’s CEO, told BusinessWeek that the company will have 60GB and 120GB 1.8-inch drives ready before the end of the year. “We have this new opportunity in 1.8-inch drives, which is starting to grow for handheld video,” Watkins said. “Apple’s iPod is one, but there are a lot of people putting out handheld video devices. We did not have a drive for that business that will come in capacities of 60 and 120 GB, and so we will have one in the December quarter and we think that will be a nice little driver for us. We feel a whole lot better about things than Wall Street does right now.”

« Apple posts free iTunes video section

Sonnet drops prices on replacement iPod batteries »

Comments

i hope it doesnt knock it up to 500 dollars or something crazy like that.  I dont have much music, about 2.5 gigs, but i want video and pictures. I just dont want to pay 4 or 500 bucks for an upgrade

Posted by nick on August 16, 2006 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

Sounds like Seagate’s making a pitch for some iPod business; wonder how that goes down in Toshiba-land. My, but a price war would be awfully nice, too.

Posted by flatline response on August 16, 2006 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

*lol* I remember paying $500 (converted) for the original 5GB iPod. The times they are a-changin’...
I think a constant 399 for the top model would be nice. And imagine the 60GB dropping to 299! Wheee!

Posted by Bad Beaver on August 17, 2006 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

OK, some people have thousands of CDs and need an iPod this size to hold them all. But really, when would you listen to them all?

Posted by Liam on August 17, 2006 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

Liam, it it not about listening to them all, it is about having them available whenever you want to listen to them.

Posted by Bad Beaver on August 17, 2006 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

exactly what the doctor ordered.  The only reason i’ve not purchased an ipod yet is due to my music collection being at 83 gigs right now.  And thats sh*tty low quility stuff.  I really wanna move to a loss-less format and my collection size would only grow further.  Plus i’ve been getting the itch to buy some more music, which i’ve not done in a while.

All i’m saying is that 120 is welcomed, THANK YOU.  And keep in mind it will only turn into the next “not quiet big enough”.

Posted by rainfever on August 18, 2006 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

120 gigs, while very welcomed, is already too small for me.

Yes, my music collection alone is only at 98 gigs right now (way too much for my measly 60 gig) but with my Audiobooks I’m well above 158 gig!

And like another poster said, it’s not about having time to listen to it all, it’s about having what you are in the mood for, WHEN you are in the mood for it. I don’t know what particular album I’m going to have the fancy for tomorrow when I’m syncing my iPod today.

Posted by LuciferEternal on March 18, 2007 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2