Second-generation iPod shuffle, iPod nano sales soaring | iLounge News

Second-generation iPod shuffle, iPod nano sales soaring

According to data from the NPD Group, Apple sold more than twice as many second-generation iPod shuffles in November than it did of the two original models in the same month last year. Sales of the second-generation iPod nano, meanwhile, grew 37% during the same time period compared to sales of last year’s first-generation models. NPD said the new shuffle accounted for 21% of all iPod sales in November, while the new nano made up some 51% of iPods sold. Apple’s updated fifth-generation iPod accounted for 28% of players sold during the month.

« iTunes Store offers free John (PC Guy) Hodgman audiobook

Apple job posting points to new iPod Hi-Fi development »

Comments

And I will be one of those who help boost iPod sales volume.  I’m going to the store to pick up a new PRODUCT (RED) Special Edition nano for myself, yay!

Posted by misou on December 20, 2006 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

I wish they sold the Product (Red) stuff at places like Best Buy.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 20, 2006 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

I wish you’d give money to real charities.

Posted by OnlyShawn on December 20, 2006 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

yup, well i helped too. sold my old 512mb shuffle and picked up a new 1gb one.

Posted by mdwsta4 on December 20, 2006 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

I bought a 2g Shuffle for my niece and a 5.5g 80gb black for my sister. I just need to buy one of the new 2g nanos for myself (or hope someone else already did it for me). Happy Holidays Everyone!

Posted by urbanslaughter on December 20, 2006 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

Is Product Red not a real charity?

Posted by BJ Nemeth on December 20, 2006 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

We’ve already had the charity discussion when the red products first came out.  It sounds like that person just wants a red nano, or something identified as Special Edition.  If the purchase helps a charity, fine.  I had no idea the charity police monitored iLounge.  I think they should give their PCs to charity to show thier generosity and quit worrying about our very-personal charitable habits.  I would have bought the red 8GB model if it had been available when I bought the black 8GB nano, but not because of the caritable aspect.

Posted by jim on December 20, 2006 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

We’ve already had the charity discussion when the red products first came out.  It sounds like that person just wants a red nano, or something identified as Special Edition.  If the purchase helps a charity, fine.  I had no idea the charity police monitored iLounge.  I think they should give their PCs to charity to show their generosity and lessen their concern for our very-personal charitable habits.  I would have bought the red 8GB model if it had been available when I bought the black 8GB nano, but not because of the charitable aspect.

Posted by bono on December 20, 2006 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

Wow. So this is what momentum is like then? All I can say is ‘Go, Apple’. Imagine if the 8GB nano were priced proportionately per MB compared to the 5G. It would sell like the hottest cakes in history. For an 8GB player to sell more than a 30GB player at the same price despite the MB/$ handicap is incredible. What a performer.

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on December 21, 2006 at 2:29 AM (PDT)

just bought a shuffle for my brother-in-law for christmas at best buy.  shuffles this week come with a $10 best buy gift card, so even with tax it is cheaper than getting it from apple with no shipping charge (assuming you use the gift card at some point - which i will as soon as i find a wii there).

Posted by boochydog in lawrence, ks on December 21, 2006 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

My apple IpoD nano will not turn off, indicates “LOCK” EVEN WHEN IN THE ON POSITION WILL NOT RESPOND SHOWS PLAYING BUT NO SOUND.

Posted by Gary on December 23, 2006 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

Gary,

Follow these steps to reset the iPod:

Toggle hold switch on.
Toggle hold switch off.
Hold down the menu and middle button for a few seconds.
You might need to repeat.

Posted by bono on December 24, 2006 at 8:52 PM (PDT)