Second iPhone explodes in France | iLounge News

Second iPhone explodes in France

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, August 25, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A second iPhone has exploded in France, according to a new report. AFP states that a French security guard was injured Monday afternoon when his iPhone’s glass screen exploded while he was typing a text message, sending shards of glass into his eye. “I want an explanation about this damned telephone,” said Yassine Bouhadi, a 26-year-old supermarket watchman, who bought his iPhone three months ago. Bouhadi said he was “very angry” over the incident, and plans to see a doctor as well as file suit for damages. France’s official DGCCRF consumer watchdog agency said that an investigation into the exploding iPhones has been launched, adding, “We have been alerted to the problem and we are looking into it closely.” Less than two weeks ago a French teen was also hit in the eye by debris from an exploding iPhone, an incident which followed a report of an English girl’s iPod touch exploding; no one was injured in the latter incident.

« SendStation ships PocketDock Line Out Mini USB

Apple posts new iPhone 3GS TV ad »

Comments

I remember some years ago when I first started using computers, I was afraid that something would malfunction in the monitor, and I’d get an explosive face-full of glass.

Now, I have to worry about my ipod touch exploding.

Posted by Mike H. on August 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

Well, let’s see.  Suppose my iPhone explodes and gets glass in my eye.  I guess I’d call the newspapers first, and then plan to see a doctor.

Posted by otaku on August 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Interesting that both of the reported exploding iPhone incidents have occurred in France, and all three of the exploding Apple product incidents have occurred in Europe.

Unless EU iPhones and iPods are manufactured using different parts, or to an inferior standard, it seems quite strange that all of these incidents have happened in Europe.  Given that the majority of Apple’s hardware is sold in the US, there should have already been a dozen or more exploding iPhones in the US for this to make sense statistically.

I suspect that there isn’t a problem with the iPhone or the iPod touch themselves.  Perhaps there’s something wrong with the EU AC adapters that is damaging the batteries?  Or perhaps people in France just don’t know how to take care of their gadgets?

Posted by Andy S. on August 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

@2 I believe that France has socialized healthcare. The explosion probably wasn’t life threatening so he has to wait a few weeks.

Good thing he is 26. If he was too old he wouldn’t be eligible for surgery at all.

Posted by RampantRedsFan on August 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

@4

Any statistics or information or is that just prejudice/conjecture?

Thought so.

Posted by Fanman on August 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

Typo: “Yassine Bouhadi, a 26-year-old supermarket watchman, who ______ his iPhone three months ago.”

Posted by Jon on August 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

I have 2 iPods and am worried because my 12 year old daugther is using it everyday for singing rehearsals and am using mine for real estate business.

Please update me in any developement of the investigation, I am planning to go to apple outletto change my 2 iPods.

Thank you.

Posted by Rod M. Alvar on August 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

@3 : Iphone are made in china not in europe.

@4 : French urgency are fast and free…are you jalous ?

Posted by Dylan on August 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

I dont know what problems you guys in the US have with public healthcare either. Look at the statistics!

My iPHone died last week from a VERY hot Akku.

If you write that people dont know how to take care of their gadgets in France… then tell me what is the right way? Not using an iPhone at all? Not writing a text message?

Maybe the right answer from the consumers (not the apple fanboys of course) should be: Apple take care of your products.

Posted by Sami Negm on August 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

If you have no news about exploding iphones in the US it’s maybe because apple is became expert in censorship especially when millions of this crap are sold.

Posted by Phil on August 27, 2009 at 6:14 AM (PDT)