“Secrets of the iPod, Fourth Edition” released | iLounge News

“Secrets of the iPod, Fourth Edition” released

picPeachpit Press has announced the release of Christopher Breen’s fourth edition of Secret’s of the iPod. “This updated, fun guide from Macworld magazine columnist Chris Breen offers tips and tricks for all of you Mac and Windows users on how to get the most out of your iPod and iPod mini. In addition to the inside skinny on the iPod’s all-touch interface and on-the-go play lists, you’ll also find hints for accessorizing and protecting your iPod, tips on maximizing its storage capabilities, and troubleshooting advice for when it refuses to cooperate.” Now available for $19.99.

« “Me and my iPod” Photo Contest launched

Mac: iPod2Mac 1.2 released »

Comments

i pity the fool who buys this book

Posted by ghey on April 6, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Don’t we already get most of the important stuff in the manual?  Not many reasons why an anverage consumer would go into diagnostic mode or what not.

Posted by tetro on April 6, 2004 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

you guys must really have nothing to whine about in life as it is.  A guy released a book about how users could get the most out of his/her iPod.  True it seems pretty ridiculous for iPod “enthusiasts” who visit this site like everyday…but believe it or not there are others who wouldn’t mind purchasing a book.  If i was so anal…i’d complain about all those ridiculous books on how to lose weight in “3 weeks!” ...but i choose not to.

Posted by shutup on April 6, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

Instead, you chose to reply to this thread. Who has nothing else better to do now?

Posted by funny on April 6, 2004 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

That book is pointless in my opinion, I have looked through the 3rd edition at Borders, and it is pretty much a bigger Owner’s Manual.

Posted by Bobby on April 6, 2004 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

if you’re dumb enough to buy it, you deserve it

Posted by dave on April 6, 2004 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

But if you don’t buy the book, you’ll never find all of the yummy chocolate candies that Apple hid in the iPod secret candy compartment.

Posted by Chimpee on April 6, 2004 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

You could buy 19 MP3’s from Istore for 19.99 lol

Posted by Pig Pen Ipod in NJ on April 6, 2004 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

I have to agree with Mr. Up when he suggests that people who live on this website may not be the target audience for Secrets of the iPod (though if you look back through the last couple of months of articles here you’ll discover that I was the source for some previously unknown iPod mini information).

I might also suggest that to some people, time = $$$. Sure, you could spend a day or two on the web finding much of the information in my book, but I can guarantee you that by the time you did, you would have been working for far less than minimum wage. A good many of the book’s readers find it convenient to have all that information in an easily accessible place for less than the price of an audio CD (hint: Check the Amazon price).

But maybe you’re right, perhaps some of you do know it all. Let’s see:

1. You’d like to transplant a 15GB drive from a 3G iPod into an original 5GB iPod. Can you? And, if so, will you encounter any surprises along the way?

2. You’d like to test the integrity of your iPod’s hard drive (and, perhaps, repair it). How do you do it on an original iPod? How about on a mini?

3. You’d like to create a note that, when navigated, launches songs on your iPod. How do you do it?

4. Explain the relationship between EQ on the iPod and in iTunes.

5. How do you give youself an allowance from the iTunes Music Store?

6. Your European iPod is too quite. How do you make it as loud as the iPod found in the US?

7. You’d like to place all the tunes from several networked computers on your iPod. How do you do it without first copying those files to a single computer?

8. You’d like to move your contacts and calendars from Now Contact/Up-to-Date without having to shift them to Address Book. How?

9. What advantage do Mac users gain from the mini’s USB 2.0 capabilities?

10. You’ve inserted a flash media card into Belkin’s Media Reader that contains movies recorded by your digital camera (a Canon Digital Elph, for example). How do you automatically move those movie files to your Mac? (No, iPhoto doesn’t do it.)

These are not questions addressed in the manual and questions that, by my reckoning, few people could answer off the tops of their heads. Before judging the book’s general worth by suggesting that anyone who reads it is a fool, you might actually risk being that fool and paging through it.

Chris

Posted by ChrisBreen on April 6, 2004 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

I agree.  Not everybody has the time to sift through a website.  It’s nice to have everything collected in one place.

Posted by ben on April 6, 2004 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

I think the 1st 7 posters better clam up!
piss-n-moan….....piss-n-moan

Heheee…....what a bunch of juviniles.

Posted by Grow Up on April 6, 2004 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

ChrisBreen- Those are all pretty much troubleshooting questions that can be found in a matter of seconds online.  You people talk like finding info on the internet takes days of trudging through ice and snow.  Your first and last page should simply read: [url=http://www.google.com]http://www.google.com[/url]

Posted by dave on April 6, 2004 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

chimpee

there is chocolate candys in the ipod ??
where??  help me find them

lol

Posted by BIGP in Texas on April 6, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

actually mr. funny I said that the following two people who posted before me had nothing to WHINE about…and i just pointed out the fact that it is ridiculous for people like #### to call people who purchase this book “fools”.  Like others such as Chris and ben said…some choose to actually sit down and read.  Its their money.

Posted by Shutup on April 6, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

chrisbreen

most of those questions wouldn’t be asked by hardware newbs who don’t have time to search the internet. 3 of those questions are answerable through apple/ipod itself.

stop cashing in on the ipods fame

Posted by someguy on April 6, 2004 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

Dave and someguy,

I posted these particular questions to answer the charge that the book was little more than extended manual.

If you’d like to take those couple of seconds to answer those question without the benefit of my book, go ahead. I’ll bet you an autographed copy that you can’t do it in two hours—the time it would take you to earn the price of the book in a minimum wage job.

Chris

Posted by ChrisBreen on April 6, 2004 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

I’d just like to defend Chris here.  I don’t own the book (though I might buy the 4th edition—I’ve been going through a tech book phase), but I do appreciate the book itself.  Some people like reading about things that they didn’t even know about, much less had questions about.  I have never even thought about most of the questions on Mr. Breen’s list.  I have no real need of answering them, either.  However, it might be interesting to read, just for the sake of reading it.  Yes, I KNOW, “you can get the answers off the internet.”  My point is, how am I supposed to get the answers to questions I haven’t thought of?

As far as “cashing off” on the iPod, I seriously doubt that Mr. Breen is going to become a Millionaire through his book proceedings.  We should be grateful that he has chosen to share his knowledge with us.

One last comment:  Sometimes, people prefer to have information on physical paper, in nice book that they can put on the shelf.  I’m all for the digital age and electronic publishing, but I don’t think it will ever replace true books.

Posted by Cameron on April 6, 2004 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

fight! fight! fight! fight! fight! fight!

Posted by dicko on April 6, 2004 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

Without condemning or defending the book… It seems that, if the target audience are not people who “live on this website”, then they’re probably not interested in transplanting a 15GB drive from a 3G iPod into an original 5GB iPod, testing the integrity of their iPod’s hard drive, explaining the relationship between EQ on the iPod and in iTunes, or placing all the tunes from several networked computers on your iPod.

Anyway, good luck with the book. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck.

Posted by Herb in NC, USA on April 6, 2004 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

It is a pretty dumb arguement. Newspapers… news is available online for free, yet MILLIONS everday still pay money for a paper. Strategy guides for games… contains information easily available on the web, yet millions are sold every year. We live in a lazy world, people would rather spend a few bucks and have all the answers in one spot, quickly accessible, rather than having to spend more time searching 10 different websites for the same stuff.

Posted by widds on April 6, 2004 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >