“Secrets of the iPod, Fourth Edition” released | iLounge News

“Secrets of the iPod, Fourth Edition” released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, April 6, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picPeachpit Press has announced the release of Christopher Breen’s fourth edition of Secret’s of the iPod. “This updated, fun guide from Macworld magazine columnist Chris Breen offers tips and tricks for all of you Mac and Windows users on how to get the most out of your iPod and iPod mini. In addition to the inside skinny on the iPod’s all-touch interface and on-the-go play lists, you’ll also find hints for accessorizing and protecting your iPod, tips on maximizing its storage capabilities, and troubleshooting advice for when it refuses to cooperate.” Now available for $19.99.

« “Me and my iPod” Photo Contest launched

Mac: iPod2Mac 1.2 released »

Comments

So ten things were listed Chris. Type these questions into Google or into the Mac discussions and you will either get the answer or someone on the boards will answer it for you.
I do this all the time. For free.
As for your supporter who claims that it is nice to have these all collected in one place, I would call that place, the internet.
You don’t need to answer off the top of your head. It is easy to look it up. How-to books seem a bit redundant in this age of free information, except I guess, if you write them.
Most of your points seem to be aimed at power users, who would by definition know how to look it up. Most people just put the earbuds in and hit play.
You put the effort into listing all those questions, but you want $18 from Amazon to give up the answers?
I think John Stossel puts it this way. Give me a break. I’ll stick to the discussion boards and Google.

Posted by shameless on April 6, 2004 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

As much as iPodlounge users may want to point to this site (and the Internet in general) as the core of the iPod information universe, it bears repeating that there are _many_ good people out there offering help and advice to current and potential members of the iPod community. Regardless of whether you want his book, Chris Breen is clearly one such good person, having contributed plenty of “free” content to the Mac and iPod worlds outside of his book ventures.

Rather than discouraging contributors from visiting iPodlounge, or worse yet, from contributing to the community, we should appreciate that which they give and refrain from taking cheap shots if they try - heaven forbid - to earn a living on the side. The ultimate results of these sorts of bitter comments will be (a) fewer quality contributions to the pool of “free” information, and (b) sooner or later an abrupt end to the comment system here.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on April 6, 2004 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

well if my research paper foused on my ipod, i would buy this book i guess. but mine is “e-commerce” =)

but i rather to choose the topic of ipod if i had a chance…why?SHOW OFF?!
well,..........dont ask thu,hehe

Posted by Ed on April 6, 2004 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

The ipod will never catch on. It shall fail, and along with it all your mutual appreciation fan club.

“You’re so great”, “no, you’re better”, “no, you’re the best”.

Posted by Bubba Shrimp on April 7, 2004 at 3:59 AM (PDT)

Cameron’s comment was by far the most sensible thing that’s ever been said on here. I wholeheartedly agree. It’s not about finding answers, it’s about asking new questions.

Posted by Bruce on April 7, 2004 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

To put it simply, yes, all the information contained in this book is most likely available on the internet, but that doesnt mean you just simply pop a question in google.com and the perfect, comprehensive answer is suddenly on your screen. Sometimes you need to spend time sifting through a lot of crap before you actually find the useful information you were looking for.

As for myself, I will take that time, because I have alot of expenses, and I try to save money where I can. But not everyone has the time or the patience, and as another poster commented, not every person knows the correct questions to ask or the right information to look for.

I think that from the small sample of questions posted that it is fair to say the book covers a lot more information than you or I would have initially thought of, and again, it is nice to have it in one easy format. Not everyone wants to go turn on their computer to answer a question, not everyone has a high-speed internet connection, not everyone is like the people who complain that anyone who buys this book is a fool. Will I buy this book? No, but I wont look down on people who do.

And as for the target audience, I believe the target audience consists of anyone with more than a small interest in simply playing music or having a little colorful mini because its the newest coolest thing.

People will buy this book to learn everything they can about a sophisticated piece of hardware, or to have all that info in one place, or whatever. There are probably many reasons both ipod newbies and the more experienced ipod or mac users will buy this book, and that doesnt make them fools simply because they dont think like you do.

And who says a basic newbie ipod user wont one day want to do more sophisticated things like changing drives or whatever. Maybe not now, but the book is apparently a good guide to see exactly what you can do, and dont forget, everyone was once a newbie, it was only by research or experience that you become more.

Additionally, I dont think the price is that outrageous, considering a fiction book costs about an average of $8.00 now in a retail store.

But whatever, some people just arent happy unless they are ######## or insulting someone else. And feel free to insult me, you just make yourself sound more unintelligent, ignorant, foolish and judgemental.

Posted by vampriter on April 7, 2004 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

It’s always a great accomplishment to get a book published.  Congrats Chris.

Posted by VegasRobb on April 7, 2004 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

I worked at a bookstore where they allowed us to borrow books and read the third edition of this book. Breen is a talented and charismatic writer and every once in awhile it’s nice to read something that doesn’t have eight billion spelling errors in it.

Posted by Yvette on April 7, 2004 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

And here is something for all you internet losers that are attached to the web and spend most of your life ridiculing people that do something other than pick their nose and drink Mountain Dew - a book is solid. Next time your ISP is down and you can’t get your instant “knowledge”, you can still pick up that book, walk OUTSIDE, sit under a tree with your mini, and READ!!

Mr. Breen - pay no attention to the dolts that have ridiculed you and your book.  You keep writing. Those insipid idiots are just jealous becuse they have neither the talent nor the dedication to even attempt to write a book.

Posted by Chris on April 7, 2004 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

I recently received my daughter’s 2d generation iPod when she upgraded.  I really like it a lot, but there was no manual and everything I know how to do was by trial and error.  Just try to hook a 2d generation up to a Windows computer.  I bought a previous edition of the book, mostly because I figured the new book mostly dealt with the newer models (paid $3).  It’s not really the kind of book you sit down and read, it’s more like those “Dummy” books.  You look up whatever it is you need.  I have gotten a couple of good housekeeping tips and think that it probably is a good (discounted) investment from anyone who wants to maximize their investment.

Posted by Wharf Rat on April 7, 2004 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

Just so ya know, my intention wasn’t to start a fight and I welcome any kind of feedback from people who’ve taken the time to read my stuff. I completely understand how someone who hasn’t read the book would think any book about the iPod is unnecccessary—I had similar feelings when I embarked on the first edition just a few weeks after the first iPod was released. It’s for this reason that the first paragraph of the book reads:

“Secrets? Of the iPod!? What secrets could such a simple device possibly harbor? You push a button, rotate your thumb around a wheel, and it just works, right? Gee, I can hardly wait to read its companion volume, Secrets of the Hamilton Beach 4-Slice IntelliToast Toaster?”

As it turns out, there’s a bit more to the iPod than a toaster (as evidenced by this very website) and I try to explain what that bit more is and how you can put it to good use.

Chris

Posted by ChrisBreen on April 7, 2004 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

ive heard the iPod can play music too…anyone know where i could find a book on how to play music on an iPod?

this thread humors me

Posted by rivlinm on April 7, 2004 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

The secret I want an answer to is why Apple ships such poor quality headphones with their $500 iPods.

I bought a 40 and the headphones failed in about two months.  Apple replaced them with a pair of In-Ear’s and they were even worse.  The sound was terrible.

Get it right Apple.  You’re not going to dominate the MP3 market forever.

Posted by matthew on April 8, 2004 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

I am importing my ipod mini.

it will be my first ever ipod, im thinking of buying this book, it seems like a good idea, so that i have all the info to hand.

does anybody know how relevent the book is to the ipod mini?

Dinger smile

Posted by Dinger in UK on April 8, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

> there’s a bit more to the iPod than a toaster (as evidenced by this very website)

Don’t dis’ the toaster! wink

Posted by Herb in NC, USA on April 8, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

All of you 5th graders who think they are far smarter than everyone else… once you are old enough to drive a car,get a job, support a family,buy a house…. You might be old enough to realize that only children make statements like “if you buy this book your dumb”!! Grow up!!!!!!  And please don’t forget to point out my spelling errors, that will make you even more superior!!

Posted by Del Griffith on April 8, 2004 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

Dinger: The book covers the mini as well.

Fortunately the bulk of the book was done by the time Steve Jobs announced the mini so I was able to concentrate completely on the mini in the latter stages of the book’s production. Because I based the mini material on shipping minis rather than Apple’s specs, there’s no iPod book on the market that’s more up to date.

Chris

Posted by ChrisBreen on April 8, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Chris, i know you do good work, and for everyone that doesnt appricate it, i want to thank you for your time and devotion to the iPod.

We look forward to reading more of your books in the future.

Nick

Posted by Nick on April 8, 2004 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

Thanks for that Chris, i will be buying your book then smile

Dinger smile

Posted by Dinger in UK on April 9, 2004 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

Any idea when the book will hit retail channels such as Amazon.com and B&N (the real store, not online)?

Posted by Cameron on April 9, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >