Secrets of the iPod, Third Edition Released | iLounge News

Secrets of the iPod, Third Edition Released

Peachpit Press has announced the release of the third edition of Secrets of the iPod by Mac author and columnist, Chris Breen.

“A reengineered, all-touch interface; customizable menus; on the-go playlists; support for more (and better) audio formats; a new travel alarm clock; wired remote control; an elegant and convenient charging and syncing dock; and a trio of fun games are just some of the new features covered here. You’ll also find hints for accessorizing and protecting your iPod, tips for maximizing its storage capabilities, and troubleshooting advice for when it refuses to cooperate.”

« New Media Age: iTunes beats music rivals for awareness

DealExpress offers low-price deals on iPods »

Comments

yeah, right.

in other news, i’m also selling an ipod manual for the low price of 20 bones.  but, since i love y’all soooooo much i’ll post it here for free….

——-
it’s a fricking ipod, play with it for a few minutes and figure it out!!!
——-

geez, it amazes me what kinda of crap people will sell and BUY.  these are the same kind of people that would sign up for a hand holding service, cause ### wiping can be an exhausting and diffucult process.

blah.

Harry
BoxChecker

Posted by Box Checker on August 29, 2003 at 5:03 AM (PDT)

Harry,

Fair enough. So while “playing” with your iPod:

1. What do you do when it mounts on one Mac and not on another?

2. You see a flashing folder icon when your iPod attempts to boot. What steps do you take to fix it?

3. Want to use a first and third generation iPod on a PC? How would you go about that when the third-gen software erases the software required by the first two generations?

4. Your Euro iPod is too quiet. How do you make it louder?

5. You’ve transplanted a 15 gig drive from a third-gen iPod into a first-gen 5 gig iPod. What problems do you face and what’s the unexpected surprise?

6. What’s the most efficient way to use an iPod on both a Mac and PC?

7. What’s the relationship between the EQ settings in iTunes and and on the iPod and how do you implement them?

8. MusicMatch Jukebox doesn’t support EQ settings. How do you coordinate such settings on a PC and an iPod?

9. How do you install a bootable version of Mac OS X 10.2 or later on an iPod?

10. All your contacts and calendars are in Now Contact and Now Up-To-Date. How do you get them on your iPod?

It’s quite possible that you know the answer to all these questions but I’d venture to guess that a lot of other people don’t (and yes, they’ll find them and many more in my book). You’re right, the iPod is a brilliantly intuitive device but your suggestion that it’s ONLY a simple device is unfounded.

I didn’t write three editions of this book with the intention of ripping anyone off nor would I have written it if I thought there was nothing more to the iPod than “insert earbuds, press play, rock out.”

Get to know your iPod. You’ll find it’s a far more worthy device than you give it credit for.

Chris

Posted by Chris Breen on August 29, 2003 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

I agree with Chris. Books may not be for everyone, but there definately is a audience out there who needs them.

I have purchased two ipods in the past couple of months. The first was for my own personal use. I’m pretty technically adept (build satellites for a living). I sat down , figured out how the unit worked and went from there. If I ran into a problem I came to the online boards for help. It was all pretty easy.

The second Ipod I bought for my sister. She’s not technically adept. She’s just a music fan. After helping her get her ipod set up, I saw she was still struggling with some of the basics. So I bought her one of the Ipod books. It helped her immensely. I flipped through it once at her house and even I learned a lot of things I didn’t know before. The book was worth every cent I paid for it.

Apple put together a pretty intuitive device, but it still has quirks that take time to figure out. Have you seen the thousands of posts at this site asking questions about features or problems? If it was so easy to figure out there’d only be a couple dozen posts commenting on how ‘cool’ the device is and nothing more. I bet eveyone who posts that the Ipod books are a huge waste has gotten a lot of information that has helped them off these boards. Books provide the same type of information, just in another format. Why does that make them a waste?

Mike

Posted by Mike on August 29, 2003 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

“Fair enough. So while “playing” with your iPod:...”

i’d check one of the many free resources out there.

my comment wasn’t so much a slam on your book, but the general ignorance and laziness of people today.  it seems that people are too afraid/lazy/stupid to look up information that is freely available from many sources… this website being one of them.

if you can make a buck from lazy people, god bless you.  me, i’d rather put that money toward a new g5 or a visit to the bunny ranch in vegas. heh.

blah.

Harry
BoxChecker

Posted by Box Checker on August 29, 2003 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

“Have you seen the thousands of posts at this site asking questions about features or problems?”

nope, been banned from the forums.  the moderators have no sense of humor and quite possibly wild hairs up their colletive bums.

“I bet eveyone who posts that the Ipod books are a huge waste has gotten a lot of information that has helped them off these boards.”

exactly, for free!

“Books provide the same type of information, just in another format. Why does that make them a waste?”

yes, that format being a paid format…to me that’s a waste.  that’s just my opinion.

blah.

Harry
BoxChecker

Posted by Box Checker on August 29, 2003 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

Sounds great, but not for me.

Its my portable music player. I only put music on it. I dont want a bootable OS, which can be acomplished with a motherboard supporting firewire booting. No contacts, calendars, etc. I upload music, which i have ripped.

Posted by Stasyna on August 29, 2003 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

Some people also just enjoy reading things like this.. myself included. I think it should be the price of a mass market paperback but I don’t think someone is a total scam artist for publishing it. If it was under 5 bucks I would get it for sure in hopes I would learn something I didn’t know. After all I am and old man of 37… not as much from the computer generation as some folks here.

Posted by Del Griffith on August 29, 2003 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

Box
Tell me more about this hand holding service i am very interested.

Ian

Posted by Mr Ian on August 31, 2003 at 12:14 AM (PDT)