SendStation announces PocketDock FireWire-to-iPod adapter | iLounge News

SendStation announces PocketDock FireWire-to-iPod adapter

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picGerman based SendStation has developed the PocketDock, a standard 6-pin FireWire cable to docking iPod adapter. The tiny device allows you to utilize exisiting accessories such as car chargers for old iPods. PocketDock is available for pre-order at $16.95 and is expected to ship at the end of July.

Press release:

Frankfurt/Main, Germany — July 09, 2003 — Sendstation Systems today announced the PocketDock, an indispensable companion for Apple’s sensational and wildly successful new iPod MP3 player. The PocketDock is smaller than a box of matches and allows a standard 6-pin FireWire cable to connect to the iPod’s proprietary docking port, giving the user the freedom and independence she has come to expect from her iPod.

“When you’re on the road with your new iPod,” says André Klein, SendStation Systems founder, “and you want to connect to another Mac or PC to exchange files or just to charge the battery, you’ll probably find that you didn’t bring the special docking cable — it’s at home connected to your computer. The PocketDock, small enough to carry anywhere, is a simple and elegant solution.”

As an additional benefit, the PocketDock lets you use accessories with your new iPod that were designed for previous models, such as car chargers.

The PocketDock’s elegant design is a perfect match for the iPod, and it fits in your wallet.

Pricing & Availability

The PocketDock will be available starting in July for $16.95 (SRP) directly from SendStation Systems and from authorized dealers worldwide. Customers are able to pre-order their PocketDock immediately on the web site at www.sendstation.com

About SendStation Systems

SendStation Systems, located in Frankfurt/Main, Germany, was founded in 1997. Its first product, the Mac-based SendStation Videofax turn-key video transmission system, was installed world-wide at leading advertising agencies and their clients, such as Saatchi & Saatchi, BBDO, Audi and Wrigley. It enabled them to transmit video clips in VHS quality within minutes anywhere on the globe.

The PocketDock is SendStation’s first hardware consumer product. Further exciting products are currently under development.

For further information or product photography, contact www.sendstation.com

iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. FireWire and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

« Mac: VoodooPad 1.1 alpha 7 Released

Apple 30GB iPod with speakers for $469 »

Comments

Very cool.

Posted by mongoos150 on July 9, 2003 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

a must have accessory for your new dock ipod!!  sheesh - with over one million dock ipod owners out there, these guys are set to make a fortune!!

Posted by AC- on July 9, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Damn! I just bought an extra dock/firewire cable last night! Oh well ^_^ GREAT idea, I might pick one up anyway

Posted by Casual on July 9, 2003 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

I think Apple sold their millionth iPod in genereal, not their millionth 3G iPod.

Mike

Posted by vanillamike on July 9, 2003 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

It’s pretty cool, but why would anyone get that and then have to carry BOTH it and a firewire cable when one can cary JUST the dock connector cable?

Posted by Dave Jackson on July 9, 2003 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Well if you have the older ipod car charger with the 6 pin than you can utilize this with the 3rd gen Ipod.

Posted by DJ_JUST in New Jersey on July 9, 2003 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

The dock connector cable which comes with the iPod usually stays at home, happily connected to your Mac. This thing however appears to be small enough that you can always carry it in your purse.

Also, unplugging and re-plugging the specific iPod cable can become quite annoying, depending on the Mac you own. I for instance own a Dual CPU Cube, which has its connectors at the bottom. Reaching those is a nightmare, as you basically have to lift the entire machine.

Posted by Dr. Woo on July 9, 2003 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Hmm guess I’ll have to buy a purse.  Maybe I’ll get one of those purses with the speakers in em raspberry

As my mother always says “It’s better to be a smartass then a dumbass”

Mike

Posted by vanillamike on July 9, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

1st and 2nd G accessories (i.e. car charger) are also much cheaper than the new 3G stuff.

Posted by Scott on July 9, 2003 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

This is sexy, great idea.  A little expensive for an adapter, but still a great idea nonetheless, I will be getting one in the near future!

Posted by Rob on July 9, 2003 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

great idea.

firewire cables are a lot cheaper than firewire-ipod cables. and more widespread.

Posted by pbox on July 9, 2003 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

How about adapter with Firewire USB2 and Line-out connetors?

Posted by taam on July 9, 2003 at 3:11 PM (PDT)

And….... I can use it with the 10” cable I previously purchased for my first and second gen ipods.  So, for three dollars less than apple wants for the too long to be portable one that came with my third gen ipod, I will have a cable to hook my ipod to my ibook on the go.  (now that was a runon)

Posted by nilepocdotcom on July 9, 2003 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

i preordered mine.  it is just one less cable that i have to have in my bag on my travels.  and plus, i will now be traveling with my isight, so i will have a normal firewire cable, so why have to carry the firewire cable and the ipod dock cable?

Posted by mdc on July 9, 2003 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

this is so damn cool, why didn’t’ I think of it????????? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

seriously, I never even dreamed about it.

dr. woo must be a woman i guess, but those bags with speakers are quite cool hahahahahhaha

Posted by spirit on July 9, 2003 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

... male through and through, but english just isn’t my mother tongue. Looks like I f**ked it up, by using purse instead of wallet grin

Posted by Dr. Woo on July 9, 2003 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Not having a 3G iPod I know the convenience (or sheer luck) of not having to take a cable with me to classes and such where I’m sure to find a firewire cable. Now you guys can enjoy that too on a somewhat more limited basis!

Posted by zync on July 9, 2003 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

Errmmmm does this mean the discounted 2G car chargers will start creeping back up in price again….......

Posted by Andy on July 9, 2003 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

Ok, it’s a nice little ADAPTER.  It seems to me that in order to call this a pocket DOCK there out to be a line out port too…now that would be a great portable replacement for the dock….might even work through various cases too!!!!!!

Posted by Stephen on July 10, 2003 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

anyone preordered from that site? Is it safe? Seems as if this is there only product

Posted by Theseter on July 10, 2003 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >