SendStation intros iPod Dock Extender for iPod | iLounge News

SendStation intros iPod Dock Extender for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 19, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

SendStation Systems has announced the Dock Extender, a new iPod add-on that lets users dock and connect an iPod to accessories—such as speaker systems, FM transmitters and voice recorders—without removing the device from its case. The Dock Extender is designed to work with all iPod cases with a dock connector opening. A matching Universal Dock insert is included. The Dock Extender will be available next month; pricing as yet to be determined.

« Mix: Teacher unions, Apple TV video, EMI, Sirius-XM

Wall Street Journal reports on iPhone’s birth »

Comments

Finally. I’m sure a lot of people will find this very useful.

Posted by Doc Evils on February 19, 2007 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

I agree on the finally! Enough accessories have the pass-through dock connector. Why has this taken so long?!?! Hopefully it’s cheap and robust…

Posted by bluazul on February 19, 2007 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Actually probably not, as there does not appear to be any form of latch lock. I use iSkin3, and the width of the rubber means unless a latch is there any attachment will fall out. Everytime I want to use my iTrip the case has to come off.

Put the latch on there I will buy it, fail to put one on and this product will quickly become a white elephant.

Posted by XOR on February 19, 2007 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

actually, not having latching locks with buttons is sorta a sendstation common trait.  all their pocketdocks aside from the original firewire ones dont latch, which is why i got a TURBOdock instead of a pocketdock-lineout.

if this does have some method of latching, ill certainily pick one up, as it’d solve my problem of having to take my ipod out of its case to in order to use a wireless remote.

Posted by james on February 19, 2007 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Hallelujah, THIS is the accessory I’ve been needing forever, I can’t wait for this to hit stores…..

Posted by Lauren on February 19, 2007 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Note that while the Dock Extender comes with a release-button free design (small size matters to us), the latches really lock very well.

@ XOR: As you can see on the images shown, we are actually using an iSkin3 for demonstration, and haven’t experienced any problems yet at all.

Posted by Sean Preyer, Support Admin, SendStation Systems on February 19, 2007 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Wow.  Someone actually filling a need in the iPod accessory world!  Thank you, Sendstation.

As it turns out, my most used accessory over the years has been the Sik Imp - I see this running a close second.

Posted by stark23x on February 19, 2007 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

aleluya¡¡¡¡¡
¿you’ll ship it to spain? thanks

Posted by gonzalo on February 19, 2007 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Shipping to Spain? Sure. We offer world-wide shipping at fair rates. Check our online store at http://www.sendstation.com.

Posted by Heather O’Connor, Sales Manager, SendStation Sys on February 19, 2007 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

OK, so the first thing I think is, very neat, but won’t this make the iPod, you know….wobbly?  Is the thin metal rod thing there support to prevent this? I mean I wouldn’t want the port to be damaged from the iPod leaning backwards, causing it to maybe bend….of course I guess it depends on the accessory….....

Posted by silvery on February 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Any word on the SendStation pocketdock av uber-dock that was previewed in the last iLounge guide?

Posted by JuanoTejano on February 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

Awesome! I hate having to nude up my iPod every time I put it on the dock to charge/listen to music. I know I’m buying this for sure!

Posted by Chris on February 19, 2007 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

I had been waiting for something like this for awhile now so that I wouldn’t need to remove my iPod from the iSkin EVO3 case when I wanted to plug it into my Logitech MM50 speakers.  Unfortunately, this still won’t allow that to be done.  I need someone to create a dock cable with male and female ends.

Posted by Jeff on February 19, 2007 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

Totally awesome. I bought an iSkin Claro last Saturday, and I was really annoyed that I would have to remove the clear plastic every time I wanted to dock my iPod in the dock that I made by myself, using the Doc k Insert that came with the iPod, some hot glue, a docking cable, and some trimmed cardboard. This ROCKS! Probably the best iPod accessory i’ve seen so far (besides cases).

SendStation, will you be shipping these to electronics stores in Canada?

Posted by The Soup Nazi on February 19, 2007 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

Jeff: What are you talking about? This has both male and female…the male end plugs into the iPod, and the female end is on the other side of the connector.

Posted by Nobody on February 19, 2007 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

I have a good amount of iPod accessories and I’m worried if I try useing this with my Jensen iPod clock radio, which the case had to come off for, wouldn’t it make the iPod top heavy and cause the pins to brake haveing to replace either the accessory or the iPod itself?

Posted by Kate on February 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

Nobody, if you look at the MM50 speakers that I mentioned, the ipod fits inside of the speakers, it doesn’t dock on top.  Inside of the iSkin EVO3, it’s to thick to fit in that space, so this dock still won’t do me any good. I need a cable so I can connect it and leave the ipod sitting next to my speakers.

Posted by Jeff on February 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

Regarding connector protection:

Light-weight iPods (read: nanos) can sit/stand on the Dock Extender alone. For heavier iPods with harddrives we recommend to make use of the included Universal Dock insert. As you can see at http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/ it has a (removable) support (with three interchangable bumper caps for the various sizes of iPods and cases), against the iPod can lean on.

Posted by Sean Preyer, Support Admin, SendStation Systems on February 20, 2007 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Will this be available in black?  My speaker system is black and so is my iskin.

Posted by crucifiedenvy on February 20, 2007 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

This is definitely a better mousetrap.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on February 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >