SendStation intros PocketDock Line Out USB | iLounge News

SendStation intros PocketDock Line Out USB

imageSendStation Systems has expanded its iPod adapter lineup with the introduction of the PocketDock Line Out USB. It features a USB 1.1/2.0 port for charging and syncing as well as a 3.5 mm (1/8”) jack that offers stereo line out from your iPod. PocketDock Line Out USB is compatible with all Dock Connector iPods, and ships with two 6 ft. white audio cables for $29.95.

SendStation has also announced a detachable Keyring Dock which protects the Dock Connector and allows customers to always carry a PocketDock with them on their keyring. The PocketDock Line Out USB is the first PocketDock to sport the Keyring Dock. The company said existing models will be upgraded over time. Users who already own a PocketDock can upgrade theirs with a set of three Keyring Docks for $1.98.

« Mix: Clear shuffle, Jobs, Super Tangent, MSN Messenger

Four new European iTunes Music Stores open [updated] »

Comments

Handy, but way overpriced. $30 for a tiny connector plug?! Total rip-off IMO.

Posted by charlie12 on May 10, 2005 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

ok, maybe it’s me, but what’s the purpose of this thing?? i mean you plug the line out cable in the headphones plug, and your USB cable in the dock port, and it does the same thing, no?? i’m sure i’m missing something… please, help a stupid dude…

Posted by Larouche in Montreal, QC on May 10, 2005 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

line out is much prefered for those concerned with audio quality.  but thats no reason to charge $30.  it should be more like $10.

Posted by zip22 on May 10, 2005 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

It’s the halo effect…

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on May 10, 2005 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

To expand a bit, when I bought me first iPod, I bought EVERYTHING that came out for it (Groove Jacket, iTrip, cases, etc.)  This was the original 5GB model.

When I got my 4G last year, I was over all of that.  I only buy practical things now, like iTalk (I might need to record an idea), iSkin (gotta keep it safe), SmartDeck (hey, that’s just cool), white headphones (the pods hurt my ears), iSkin shades (well, one has to coordinate)...

Wait a minute:  I’m still doing it!!!

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on May 10, 2005 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

i think apple will replace the dock with a regular USB port in future releases, just like the shuffle

Posted by khyberny on May 10, 2005 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

I agree with Larouche - maybe I’m stupid too but I can’t figure out the attraction of this thing.  (Admittedly I’ve almost purchased it just because it looks like a nice - well made product).  If someone wants to point out what I’m missing I would appreciate it cuz I just don’t understand.

Posted by ipododie on May 10, 2005 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

i think it is mostly for audiophiles and DJs, the sounds quality from the docking port is much better than the headphone port

Posted by khyberny on May 10, 2005 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

khyberny,I don’t think the dock connector is going to be replaced by just a USB port anytime soon.  I see that as a downgrade, because then all the accessories that are out now will be useless.  Besides, I still prefer the choice to use firewire.  Which I would chose over USB any day of the week.

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on May 11, 2005 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Audiophiles can connect a headphone amp or other amp into the lineout, and then the headphones into the headphone amp for better sound fidelity.

Posted by NeoteriX in Houston, TX or Westchester County, NY on May 11, 2005 at 12:59 PM (PDT)