Settlement benefits for iPod battery lawsuit dated | iLounge News

Settlement benefits for iPod battery lawsuit dated

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 27, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Girard Gibbs, the law firm representing consumers in the iPod battery class-action lawsuit, has released a timeframe for the distribution of settlement benefits. The settlement was approved by a judge in August, appealed in November by two individuals, and finalized in late December. As a result of the appeal, the firm said, Apple and the Claims Administrator had to delay the process of fulfilling claims. Below is the new timeframe for the settlement benefits.

February 17, 2006 - The Claims Administrator will mail $25 checks to Class Members who purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan and obtained battery repair/replacement under the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Beginning of March 2006 - For Class members who own a First or Second Generation iPod and who selected the $25 cash payment, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing $25 checks to those who submitted valid claims.

Middle of March 2006 - For Class members who own a Third Generation iPod and who selected battery/iPod replacement, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing letters containing instructions for battery/iPod replacement to those who submitted valid claims.

Middle of March 2006 - For Class members who own a First, Second or Third Generation iPod and who selected a $50 store credit, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing letters with certificate codes for the $50 store credit to those who submitted valid claims.

Around March 17, 2006 - The Claims Administrator will begin sending deficiency letters to Class members who submitted an incomplete/incorrect claim.

End of March 2006 - The Claims Administrator will send denial letters to those individuals who do not fit the class definition or who submitted their claims past the claims deadline.

« Contour Design intros new Showcase for video iPod

Mix: Origami device, iPod fake, Samsung Z5, Pogue on Amazon »

Comments

I am confused. I have a third generation iPod which has been back at least three times to Apple. I received papers from Apple stating that I need not do anything to receive my 50 bucks in credit. Is this true or did Apple cheat me out of the settlement.

Posted by Randy Smith on February 27, 2006 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Randy,

You don’t have to do anything for $25 dollar credit, if you wanted the $50 you had to send in the paperwork. You might have misread. You should fall under a person who sent in the iPod under apple care and should receive a check for $25 in the future.

Posted by Stuart on February 27, 2006 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

a few things:
-does anyone know if and/or when apple will be doing this for UK customers?
-shouldnt it be $25 CHEQUES’, not ‘checks’?or is this an ‘americanism’(not real english, but a more ‘spell it how it sounds’ version)?

Dan x

Posted by Dan Nicholls on February 27, 2006 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

I guess you could just call it bastardisation of the english language as usual.

Posted by Stuart on February 27, 2006 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

ABOUT TIME

Posted by man on February 27, 2006 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

got my check today.  1st gen, batt. replaced under applecare

Posted by Turd Furguson on February 27, 2006 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

It’s real english, we decided to spell it check… so that is how it’s spelled here now. Languages change with time… we just don’t have a board of directors for it like the French. Dirty Europeans.

Posted by JeremytheIndian on February 28, 2006 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

For those of us with 3rd Gen that chose to have the battery replaced- how long do you think our Ipods will be out of action?  Something tells me we’re gonna have to ship our Ipods to some mass battery replacement place in California, and it’s gonna take weeks to get them fixed and returned to us.

Posted by knuckles on February 28, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I guess you could just call it bastardisation of the english language as usual.

You know, this is more like what happens when we decided to have a tea party in Boston Harbor at your Majesty’s expense.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death, and all that. Since we managed to see about getting the liberty part done, we earned the right to do as we see fit to the language we choose to use, as the victors usually do with the spoils. That’s why it’s commonly differentiated as American English.

Comprende, gringo?

Posted by flatline response on February 28, 2006 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Any 3G users gotten their letter? I’m hoping apple goes for replacement (many happy custoemrs will buy many itunes videos and songs) instead of the fix (huge logistical headache)

Posted by Greynolds on March 16, 2006 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

I am curious as well, I am 3G owner and wondering if any others have received any information.

Posted by TomFoolery on March 16, 2006 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

I have a G3 also… still no letter from Apple yet. :(

Graynolds… I hope you are right.  I would LOVE a replacement over a fix!

Posted by Kat on March 18, 2006 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

No letter for me, yet, either. 20G 3rd Gen that doesn’t even store enough charge for an hour of use.

Posted by Cullen on March 22, 2006 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

no letter for me, either. i, too, hope they choose to give us new vs. the huge nightmare of replacement. i wish they would hurry up, i have wanted to replace my lousy 3G for six months, but I keep hoping this actually happens…....my 3G lasts for about 10 minutes before dying now- but sometimes, if I re-boot it about 10-15 times in a row, it magically comes back to life for as long as an hour!

Posted by Kate on March 27, 2006 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

WTF? its the 28th now werent they sending these things out in the *middle* of march. I have no ipod until this comes through…

Posted by Joe on March 28, 2006 at 8:53 PM (PDT)

The settlement administration announced a schedule that’s a bit different than this…

Posted by jon on April 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

I got mine yesterday (I’m in NYC).  It comes in the form of a letter that has a code on it.

Posted by JHS on April 12, 2006 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

I just spoke with the administrator re a 3rd gen where I am requesting battery replacement and was told letters on way as of 4/7/06 and that I’m approved for replacement.  I’ll repost when I actually get the letter and if they replace the unit or just the battery.

Posted by marinjim on April 14, 2006 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

woohoo 100 bucks for the apple store…..

Posted by Whitney on April 25, 2006 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

here on long island and i called the claim administrator 2 weeks ago and he said my claim for battery replacment was accepted, but now its may 8th and i still havent recieved a letter,

i;m a little woried

Posted by andy on May 7, 2006 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >