Settlement benefits for iPod battery lawsuit dated | iLounge News

Settlement benefits for iPod battery lawsuit dated

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 27, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Girard Gibbs, the law firm representing consumers in the iPod battery class-action lawsuit, has released a timeframe for the distribution of settlement benefits. The settlement was approved by a judge in August, appealed in November by two individuals, and finalized in late December. As a result of the appeal, the firm said, Apple and the Claims Administrator had to delay the process of fulfilling claims. Below is the new timeframe for the settlement benefits.

February 17, 2006 - The Claims Administrator will mail $25 checks to Class Members who purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan and obtained battery repair/replacement under the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Beginning of March 2006 - For Class members who own a First or Second Generation iPod and who selected the $25 cash payment, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing $25 checks to those who submitted valid claims.

Middle of March 2006 - For Class members who own a Third Generation iPod and who selected battery/iPod replacement, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing letters containing instructions for battery/iPod replacement to those who submitted valid claims.

Middle of March 2006 - For Class members who own a First, Second or Third Generation iPod and who selected a $50 store credit, the Claims Administrator will begin mailing letters with certificate codes for the $50 store credit to those who submitted valid claims.

Around March 17, 2006 - The Claims Administrator will begin sending deficiency letters to Class members who submitted an incomplete/incorrect claim.

End of March 2006 - The Claims Administrator will send denial letters to those individuals who do not fit the class definition or who submitted their claims past the claims deadline.

« Contour Design intros new Showcase for video iPod

Mix: Origami device, iPod fake, Samsung Z5, Pogue on Amazon »

Comments

any news on the front ...??

its may 10 and i am yet to recieve my letter…

did everyone else get it?

Posted by nofixedadderess on May 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

nope. no letter yet.  Getting worried they forgot me.  Hope one arrives soon my pods battery is almost dead.  Really like a video pod even though the 3g controls are the best ever, wish they would have stuck with it.

matt - KY

Posted by matt w on May 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

anyone know the number to call?

Posted by nofixedadderess on May 11, 2006 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

got my letter for my 1st gen $50 store credit weeks ago but haven’t received a letter for 3rd gen battery/ipod replacement yet.

Posted by cbodle on May 11, 2006 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

Just called the claims administrator about my ipod application I sent out early January, in which I opted for the battery replacement for my 3G ipod. The person I spoke to was informative in telling me that my claim was received and that I should expect instructions in the mail within 2 months at the latest.  He had mentioned that the time frame of letters sent out by the ipod’s claim center is based on when applications were received. The earlier/later you’ve sent letters by the deadline date in January, the earlier/later you’d receive information in the mail for the next step in the process.  For anyone interested in your status, you can call the claim administration office at 1-888-385-3085 and select option 4 (FAQs) and then option 19 (followed by the pound key). Option 19 is for people who need help filling out the claims form or to verify if they have, in fact, received their claim form.

Posted by Jecker on May 15, 2006 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the information Jecker.  Wondering - has anyone tried to use 2 or more of these together at the apple store?  Will it be possible to use 2 of them on the same purchase?  Thanks

Posted by Seth on May 23, 2006 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Hi
Is it only me who feels ripped off that the battery replacement still costs $30 (when it is only $60 from Apple anyways and cheaper elsewhere) while the lawyers get $2 Million..

Posted by dave on June 17, 2006 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

It looks as though you aren’t guaranteed a battery replacement. I got the form, wrote down my credit card number, got the box to ship my iPod in, sent it out then got my iPod back with a letter saying that mine was in good shape and nothing was wrong with it. Bull. Says something to the effect of you should plug it in ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with the battery and that it loses about 5% charge per day. Mine won’t run for more than an hour without being plugged in and it will lose about 90% of its charge over the course of a day.

I’ll be disputing the charge on my credit card.

Posted by Cullen on July 6, 2006 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

Last Apple product I’ll ever buy….I sent in my 3rd generation Ipod for battery replacement….....what did i get back ? The same DAMN Ipod. I guess they feel the hour and a half I get on my battery is good enough…lawsuit did a lot of good. APPLE YOU SUCK, when does Microsoft ZUNE come out? I’ll be first in line.

Posted by Ron on July 26, 2006 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2