ShadesCases debuts Shades for iPhone | iLounge News

ShadesCases debuts Shades for iPhone

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 1, 2008
News Categories: iPhone Accessories

image

ShadesCases has introduced its new Shades for iPhone. Like the company’s iPod cases, Shades for iPhone are made from 100% Polyurethane, measure only .4mm thick, and offer built-in clear screen protection, while allowing for full usability of the iPhone’s touch screen. Shades for iPhone are available now in 11 different colors, and sell for $17 each; the company is currently offering a “Buy two get the second half-off” promotion on the cases as well.

« Apple enables movie purchasing on Apple TV

iLounge launches Design the Next iPhone, Win the Next iPhone Contest »

Comments

If anyone has one of these and has some free time to post their personal review I’d be thankful. I loved my incase rubber protective cover but it stretched out like crazy in no time. I’m currently using an Agent18 case but it’s so slick that I have to rough it up with sandpaper to keep a grip on it and I’d like the thinner case that this ShadesCases seems to offer.
Thanks.

Posted by RCB on May 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

I have one of these for my classic.  Obviously, it is notgoing to protect against dropping, but it works great against scratches.

It’s thin enough that it allows you to use most accessories without removing it.

Additionally, they have very good customer service.

I’ve never found it to slick to hold.

I recommend this product.

Posted by pMad on May 2, 2008 at 3:00 AM (PDT)

I just got one of these in Maroon Red and I absolutely LOVE it.  You have to put a slight bit more pressure to press things but it’s very minimal.  The case itself is beautiful and I love the details and built-in screen protector.  It’s extremely thin and adds absolutely no weight to your iPhone while still allowing you to see the gorgeous design, albeit through a color if you desire!  I highly recommend them.  smile

Posted by skadiwolf on May 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

I’d been waiting for months for the Shades iPhone case, and bought the clear version the day they were announced. Unfortunately, it’s been a disappointment.

Pros:
It’s very thin and snug fitting. The reason I waited for this case is because I have to be able to carry my iPhone in my pants pocket. The Shades case adds almost nothing to the dimensions of the phone, perfect for us pocket people.

It doesn’t noticeably affect the responsiveness of the touch screen, except as noted below.

Cons:
Mediocre “fit and finish”. The openings and cutouts pretty much line up where they’re supposed to, but they’re sloppy and look like they were created by a 5 year old with scissors. It just looks and feels kinda cheap. It does fit the phone very snugly, which creates another problem: dust/dirt/crud from your pocket/purse/handbag gets trapped between the case and the phone; it’s a pain to have to take the case off to clean it and your phone every few days, because it’s takes a fair amount of work to get it off and on, and the more you do it, the looser it fits.

There is a seam between the front and back halves of the poly shell that runs all the way around the perimeter of the phone. There is a sharp raised ridge at this seam that is impossible not to notice when you hold your phone. Again, it feels cheap and drives me nuts.

It’s impossible to install the case without lots of air bubbles between it and your screen. You can work the larger ones out by pushing them to the edges with your thumb, but you can’t eliminate them all. Luckily they are most visible when the phone is off; when the screen is bright, they’re harder to see. If you’re watching video they’re very annoying though.

Biggest con: The part that covers the screen makes contact with the screen doesn’t actually touch the screen in the area about 1/4” around the screen; in this space, there is just a ‘gap’ between the case and the screen. Not surprisingly, this hinders the touch-screen responsiveness. On-screen buttons in the upper-left and upper-right corners have to pressed harder than other parts of the screen. Basically wherever you can see that there is a gap between the case and the screen, you have to press extra hard. This was the deal killer for me. I took it off and am living with just a screen protector and no case again.

Posted by nelson on May 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

To member: Nelson

You received a defective case and you should have had those issues with the case. please email us so we can have the chance to send you a good quality case that will not have the problems you mentioned.

ShadesCases Customer Serivce

Posted by RYan Ferreira on May 13, 2008 at 10:28 PM (PDT)

NEVER BUY THIS CASE
1-the case made from cheap material
2-the color look difference from picture
3-iphone can not use with accessories (like they said)
4-only buy this case if under $1
————————-SCAM—————————-

Posted by Khoi Pham on June 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

Pros: Built in screen protector, very slim case.

Cons: Where do I begin… sloppy cutouts, I agree with the comment above that it looks like a five year old made them. The earphone cutout is not big enough for the plastic base of the plug to fit through making it impossible to securely plugin earphones. Tones of bubbles and bloteches between the screen and the case. Dust and dirt gets stuck between the case and the iphone. The manufaturer warns that you need to regularly remove the case and clean it to prevent dirt from scratching the iphone, but the case is very diffcult to get off.

Posted by Joe on December 9, 2008 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

The Shades case for my iPhone 3G looks awesome. It’s sleek and stylish.
However I agree with the forementioned problems:
It collects a lot of dirt under the cover which enters through the cut-outs, which must be cleaned by removing the case. This is my second and biggest problem: I have tried frustratingly for the last week to remove the case , but it’s too difficult. The case is too tight and the polyurethane is “sticky”. How do I get it off my phone??? I am now considering cutting my phone out as I’m worried the trapped dirt is scratching my phone worse than no case at all…

Posted by Craig Wolhuter on April 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM (PDT)