Sharper Image offers new iPod speaker systems | iLounge News

Sharper Image offers new iPod speaker systems

Sharper Image recently added several new ZipConnect speaker systems designed for the iPod and other MP3 players. Each ZipConnect sound system comes with a universal ZipConnect module with a 3.5mm plug for connecting to the headphone jack of any iPod or other device. You can purchase a $9.95 iPod connector that lets you play and charge your iPod through the Dock Connector port.

imageiTower ($200; shown)
The slim tower system features four aluminum-cone speakers, a one-inch true-dome tweeter and a built-in subwoofer. It stands at 3.5’ tall.

iFrame ($140)
The square speaker system has a perforated aluminum frame surrounding a center well that glows with blue LEDs. It has four aluminum-cone speakers and an auxiliary input jack.

ZipConnect CD Stereo DECO ($230)
The stackable five-piece system features a top-loading CD player (with ID3 technology that displays MP3-CD audio text tags), AM/FM radio, and an integrated amplifier with adjustable EQ and dual high-output satellite stereo speakers.

iSoother ($150)
The all-in-one portable speaker system offers an AM/FM digital radio, a backlit LCD talking alarm clock and a “Sound Soother” with 20 environmental soundscapes. The iSoother has dual aluminum-cone speakers deliver, sleep timer, equalizer, subwoofer, and headphone jack.

ZipConnect 900MHz Wireless Outdoor Speakers ($170)
The speakers sport a weatherproof housing, 900MHz dual-frequency wireless transmitter (works up to 150 feet away), iPod cradle, and wireless remote control.

iSplash ($100)
The iSplash is a wireless and splashproof speaker system. It also uses a 900MHz transmitter to send audio from your iPod to the speakers up to 150 feet away. It can be hung from a showerhead or curtain rod.

Beetle ZipConnect Speaker System ($130)
The mini VW Beetle convertible has hidden speakers, working headlamps and a back seat iPod stand. It also features an AM/FM digital tuner, windshield LCD, and a control panel hidden under the hood.

« Track Happy intros iPod shuffle belt clip

Apple to use videos to drive hardware sales »

Comments

I’ll give Sharper Image the benefit that they have more “contraptions” for the iPod than you can shake a stick at, but I’ll leave at that…

What next, an Ionic Breeze iPod stand, holder, purifier, run-your-multimedia-is-your-multimedia whatyoumacallit?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on December 5, 2005 at 11:42 AM (CST)

haha, ionic breese, what a joke.  anyone else read all the stuff from consumer reports about it?

Posted by z2 on December 5, 2005 at 1:43 PM (CST)

I agree that they really do have a lot of iPod related products. However, having purchased a couple of dozen items from them over the years, I have found their quality to be marginal at best. Without exception, every single gadget I have bought from them had broken shortly after purchase. Just something to keep in mind before plunking down your hard-earned $$.

Posted by Jeff on December 5, 2005 at 1:45 PM (CST)

I sort of like the tower. Especially if you don’t have the counter/table space for speakers.

Posted by Sharon Faulk on December 5, 2005 at 3:07 PM (CST)

the tower comes with a companion piece as well.  total cost for the two is about the same as bose dock.  I am in the market for docks and want to to a unit by unit comparison between two klisch products, the bose, altec lansing cylinder and these towers…we’ll see.  I’m skeptical of sharper image products myself.

Posted by mgj on December 5, 2005 at 3:29 PM (CST)

I would love an iTower, as it would allow me to free up some desk space taken by speakers in my office. Too bad everything Sharper Image makes is garbage. Something similar made by a decent company, with decent internals would be next on my “must buy” ipod gear list, too bad this thing is trash.

Posted by ImpactOrangeTJ on December 5, 2005 at 6:52 PM (CST)

I just bought the Solo Radio with a Sub and Zip Connect module for the iPod. The quality is OK for the price.  Without the Sub, it still sounds OK, but the Sub gives me the Thump I like to hear. I also got a 30GB from them at the same time. So I had an Early Xmas for me. I tried the BOSE, but it sounded weak and was overpriced for the sound it gave out.

Posted by Fanatic on December 5, 2005 at 11:23 PM (CST)

I work there and I am telling you DO NOT BY THE DECO OR THE 900MHZ SPEAKERS. The deco has had constant problems. They have been recalled once and our floor model cd player wouldn’t read a cd after a few days. It took me two more times to find one that works. The wireless ones beging to pop after a few months. The iTower, iFrame, Solo, and suprizingly the Beetle are pretty good. We also have the Bose and Klipsch. But the IM7 is still the best.

Posted by rebel_519 on December 6, 2005 at 12:28 AM (CST)

Well crap. I was strongly considering the Deco with the sub, but rebel just talked me out of that. Is there any other speaker device/system on the market for the ipod that has a radio in it, OTHER than the tivoli isongbook - i.e. something that actually has some bass to it?

Posted by CitizenSnips on December 7, 2005 at 1:24 AM (CST)

I just bought the $15 Nyko stereo link and hooked it up to my surroung sound, however, I cannot us it to wake up with or charge it.

Posted by rebel_519 on December 7, 2005 at 3:56 AM (CST)

That’s cool. I may end up just getting an adapter or something. What about that Metro system, though? Garbage, too, or worth a try?

Posted by CitizenSnips on December 7, 2005 at 10:22 PM (CST)

It is up to you. You still have to buy the Zip Connect module to use the line out, to charge it, and use the remote. See if you can get that piece for $10. The built in sub is kind of weak. Think Bose Wave Radio, and still a little below that. I would say wait, and see if it goes to under $200. I wouldn’t be surprised. Prices seem to change every other day, and that has already dropped once. However, it is the only one that I have noticed a mechanical defect with. I need to double check, but I don’t think you can wake up to your iPod. You can pull of the speaker covers and take look if you want. You can return it within 60 days even if you use it.

Posted by rebel_519 on December 8, 2005 at 12:54 AM (CST)

For those keeping tabs, I had to change out the Deco again today, and it took me two times to find one that worked. Selling something like that shold be illegal.

Posted by rebel_519 on December 11, 2005 at 2:40 AM (CST)

Any review’s on the isoother? I am looking for a clock radio . the iH5 is not a option.

Posted by Rick on February 8, 2006 at 2:46 PM (CST)

There is one BIG plus to these systems that nobody mentions—the weird Zip Connect module lets you connect an iPod in any case, including the Contour, which is pretty thick.  I drop my iPod a lot and I want it in a protective case 100% of the time, which has prevented me from using almost any accessory with a dock connector.  I haven’t tried every one of these, but I went in the store and tried a few, and they all fit the case with no problem at all.

Posted by Karen on March 22, 2006 at 6:21 PM (CST)

My girlfriend has an Itower and I was blown away by how such a small tower could sound so good.

And so I got an Itower Omega and it sounds even better. I love that it allows me to free up some space, but it still sounds just as good if not better than the sony 5 speaker/2 woofer system its replacing replacing.

woohoo for the itower! I dont know about anything else though.

Posted by Alex on March 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM (CDT)

I have the older Sharper Image Tower Speaker with the built in IPOD, What I am looking for is the companion tower speaker with out the IPOD,

Do you have any thoughts where I can purchase?r

Posted by Gary Seymour on July 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM (CDT)