Shortage of iPods in Australia | iLounge News

Shortage of iPods in Australia

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, August 3, 2003
News Categories: iPod

PC World Australia reports:

“Shoppers wanting to get their hands on the new iPod are turning to internet auction sites like ebay as Apple’s Australian stores are dogged by supply problems.

‘We’ve been flabberghasted by demand,’ Apple marketing manager, Arno Lenior, said.”

« Booq Announces PodPaq Nappa iPod Case

Toronto Star: Muzak to our ears »

Comments

I think the same has happened in the UK i swear i cant get hold of one online at all! dabs, amazon, john lewis, aria all out of stock?! i had TWO just like a month ago and sent them back at the time because they didnt work with my pc at the time.
Got a new pc tried to buy a new one… ALL GONE. i feel sick now. waiting from email from jl so i can buy another one ( /me cries )

Posted by XiXora on August 3, 2003 at 11:45 PM (PDT)

I agree.I’ve been tryind to buy a 3g 30G iPod for a month…..all to no avail.It’s like having lead in your pencil and having no-one to write to !!!!

Posted by jimbo on August 4, 2003 at 1:15 AM (PDT)

There are zero ipods for sale in the UK period (10,15 or 30).

Apple is claiming a 3-4 week wait on any new ones comming into the country. I’ve tried all the online sellers (inc plain mac resellers), high street shops everything.

If anyone knows different then please post.

I blame the bloody Sun and David Beckham.

Posted by Phill on August 4, 2003 at 1:36 AM (PDT)

There was like none in Quebec (Canada) too… it’s getting here slowly. But, guys, I ordered from Apple Store on the wednesday and it was at home the next tuesday (That’s 5 business days!)!

Get it online from Apple wink

Posted by The McBain on August 4, 2003 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

wow these things are popular

Posted by ti on August 4, 2003 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

Well I ordered my iPod through NextByte, and they told me that I’d have to wait 2 weeks to get my iPod. They never told me about a six week back order on the units! Its been two weeks now, just another four to go I guess.

I might be better off going through Apple Australia’s online store

Posted by Gomez on August 4, 2003 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Ordered a 15gb iPod today at NextByte (Melbourne, Oz) at 12.30pm. They called back at 1.45pm; picked it up 2.15pm.  Looks like the tap may have been turned back on.

Posted by emaitchess on August 4, 2003 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

It would seem that a couple of weeks ago I managed to buy the last iPod in Scotland, upgrading from a 1st gen 5Gig to a new 30Gig model.

Posted by Tony on August 5, 2003 at 12:14 AM (PDT)

I got mine about a month ago via the australian online store.  took about a week.

Nextbyte in melbourne said it would take them about 2-3 weeks…  When I called up to tell them I got one via the web in a week, they werent very happy with apple at all…

Posted by timmo on August 5, 2003 at 2:09 AM (PDT)

I got mine through the Apple Australia online store after calling every retailer in my state trying to track some down! I was SO impressed with the service. I live in a rural area in Australia, so it usually takes a week or more for things to be shipped from the city. Apple sent out my order the very next day and it arrived at my house overnight.
The price was exactly the same as it is in other shops like Next Byte, and as products are first shipped to Apple Australia, then from there on to the stores in Australia, I thought it would be best to get my iPod straight from the source. I got my iPod while others on store waiting lists were still waiting for their stock to arrive.
I even got a letter from Apple USA congratulating me on my purchase as I apparently purchased the 1 millionth iPod. Couldn’t be happier!

Posted by kate on August 9, 2003 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

i live in canada and am wondering if i would be able to buy an ipod over the internet from sweden and get it sent to me in canada cuz that way it would like cost nothing because of currency?

Posted by dustin on May 13, 2004 at 5:25 PM (PDT)